Alaska DS230

Ram Sense

FNG
My buddy's brother moved to Alaska a few years ago. Last year my buddy went and hunted moose in 14C and got a small bull but also noticed quite a few sheep. So this year he applied and drew DS230. When he found out he called to tell me the good news and asked if I wanted to go. Knowing that I'll likely never be able to afford a Dall Sheep hunt in Alaska, I'm thrilled at the opportunity to go and be a spectator/packer.

I hunt deer and elk in Colorado and feel pretty good about most of my gear but realize that I'll probably need a few upgrades for an Alaska sheep hunt. The way I see it, I'll probably need to upgrade boots, shelter, and rain gear but any other recommendations are welcome.

I'm also curious about what kind of bear protection would you recommend? As a person who isn't hunting on this trip is spray sufficient? I've got a .44 mag but would carrying a 12 gauge be a better option?

Any suggestions are appreciated. If you know the area and want to provide any tips privately, please feel free to message me as well. Thanks in advance for any advice. I appreciate it.

The best bear defense is common sense. I’m not trying to be a smart ass even though it probably is coming across that way

In all seriousness though, just be careful and pay attention, that is 99% of the battle. Carelessness and/or negligence are your biggest enemies.

As far as repellent/protection, you can make arguments for guns and for spray. But ideally you won’t ever get into a situation where you get to find out firsthand which is more effective...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

Ram Sense

FNG
Haha, smart ass answers are sometimes the best and most needed answers. But I don't take yours as a smart ass answer. And while common sense is the most practical advice, I was leaning towards advice for the worst case scenario. Should I/we get in an unexpected situation, what kind of protection would you feel the most comfortable with?

And better yet, if you've got gear advice, please let me know. If I'm wet, freezing, or otherwise miserable because of a bad gear choice, I might welcome a bear encounter ;)

My buddy's brother moved to Alaska a few years ago. Last year my buddy went and hunted moose in 14C and got a small bull but also noticed quite a few sheep. So this year he applied and drew DS230. When he found out he called to tell me the good news and asked if I wanted to go. Knowing that I'll likely never be able to afford a Dall Sheep hunt in Alaska, I'm thrilled at the opportunity to go and be a spectator/packer.

I hunt deer and elk in Colorado and feel pretty good about most of my gear but realize that I'll probably need a few upgrades for an Alaska sheep hunt. The way I see it, I'll probably need to upgrade boots, shelter, and rain gear but any other recommendations are welcome.

I'm also curious about what kind of bear protection would you recommend? As a person who isn't hunting on this trip is spray sufficient? I've got a .44 mag but would carrying a 12 gauge be a better option?

Any suggestions are appreciated. If you know the area and want to provide any tips privately, please feel free to message me as well. Thanks in advance for any advice. I appreciate it.
PM sent

AlaskaEd

WKR
Being smart is the best bear protection. Pee all around your tent/camp, keep it clean of food/trash, talk/sing when going through brush and alders.

If you aren’t going to hunt carry whatever pistol you shoot best. It’s much more important to get hits than fire off one round out of a hand cannon. If you shoot the 44 often and well, take it. If not, take whatever you can get hits with.

Better yet, take a rifle and get a black bear tag. Might as well be a hunter and not a packer.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you will be more likely to see black bear than browns. I’d get a black bear tag, and do some hunting. If not, just bring your handgun. It’s easier to pack up a mountain than a rifle or shotgun. As far as gear? What do you already have?

I've had this permit before and the majority of the bears I saw were brown bears, especially up Peters Creek. I pack a pistol on my sheep hunts when I am not the shooter. I'd get a good chest holster and carry the .44 if I were you.

Josh