Alaska travel

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
I assumed when you took the test for the at home one, but someone else was told that AK would accept when the test was delivered to the facility. I have not personally confirmed that. The 72 hours is from your departure of your first flight.
I called the Kotzebue airport and they lady I spoke with said the 72hrs was from the
Direct from the NWAB Facebook page...
Great to see wide-ranging engagement on this issue. To clarify the background of Resolution 20-58 as it relates to municipal authority, including NAB and any cities within NAB: Boroughs and cities have no authority to close hunting seasons, restrict general access, or regulate hunting on state and private lands in a way that conflicts with Board of Game regulations. Hunting seasons and access issues on certain federal lands are regulated by the Federal Subsistence Board (FSB). Boroughs and cities have no authority to close hunting seasons, restrict general access, or regulate hunting on federal lands that are open according to FSB regulations. Resolution 20-58 is a call for cooperative action to help address the risks of COVID-19 associated with outside hunting activities that are underway. Through coordinated action, we can help mitigate these risks. Please join the Borough in calling on federal land managers to take necessary emergency actions to restrict non-resident hunters, guides, transporters and outfitters in GMU 23.

I was expecting that from the Borough a month ago. Maybe if they wouldn’t have been pushing the non-local restrictions over the last several years, outfitters would take their request somewhat seriously. Given the Borough’s proven disdain for non-local hunters, I suspect the outfitters in the region will show em a finger and tell them to pound sand on this one.

“Great to see wide-ranging engagement on the issue.” = great to see everyone in the NWAB is still united in locking federal hunting land to non-locals

Josh- you didnt finish tour sentence about what the lady in Kotz told you but from the AKDHSS travel FAQ page this is what it says about it...

"When is the cut off for the 72 hours? Is it prior to start of travel or upon arrival in Alaska?
 A traveler must test within 72 hours prior to the departure time of the originating airport
departure."

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
Josh- you didnt finish tour sentence about what the lady in Kotz told you but from the AKDHSS travel FAQ page this is what it says about it...

"When is the cut off for the 72 hours? Is it prior to start of travel or upon arrival in Alaska?
 A traveler must test within 72 hours prior to the departure time of the originating airport
departure."
Crap I meant to delete that lol she told me the 72hrs was from the boarding of the flight that flies from Seattle to Alaska not your origin flight. For what it’s worth she sounded like she wasn’t 100% sure.

wolfpup

FNG
I traveled to anchorage by plane from Pennsylvania with my wife and 4 kids on August 4th. Our understanding was that we all had to be tested including the kids ages 2-9. However, when we got there, only my wife and I needed tested. Everything went well and we got our results in 2 days. The covid testing personnel were super friendly and things flowed smoothly. We were very impressed with the friendliness and how orderly it was. We had a splendid trip. Caught lots of fish and shot a caribou. I'm going back to anchorage September 10th for a diy moose hunt and plan to take a test from Everlywell a couple days before flying but have absolutely no concerns with the prior experience I had. Fully expect things to go smoothly again. Just be informed as much as you possibly can as others on here have mentioned and keep reading this thread. Really good information from all you guys and I thank you sincerely.

Whip

WKR
I think that I read somewhere in this thread when looking at the 72 hours they aren't counting actual hours, correct? I'm planning to be tested next Tuesday but my originating flight is at 5:40pm on Friday. So technically I'd be closer to 80 hours.
Do the tests show the actual time or just the date that you took it? Are they looking that closely in Anchorage?

Made it through screening at the airport. It was a breeze as long as you had results uploaded in the portal and the traveler declaration done........... Now if only our rifles would have made the same flight as us, we would be golden ..... Hopefully they show up this morning 😆

Southeast

FNG
I think that I read somewhere in this thread when looking at the 72 hours they aren't counting actual hours, correct? I'm planning to be tested next Tuesday but my originating flight is at 5:40pm on Friday. So technically I'd be closer to 80 hours.
Do the tests show the actual time or just the date that you took it? Are they looking that closely in Anchorage?

They definitely did not look at the times in Juneau (back in July). Our group of three were all 75-78 hours and technically would have had to take another test in the airport because of that.

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
Made it through screening at the airport. It was a breeze as long as you had results uploaded in the portal and the traveler declaration done........... Now if only our rifles would have made the same flight as us, we would be golden ..... Hopefully they show up this morning 😆
Pending results are okay I am hoping since I test 5 hours before departure.?

Voyageur

WKR
The info from this thread proved to be spot on for me. Most useful info I gathered was to read the AK travel mandate before you go, call and get your specific questions answered by a real person (gave great peace of mind), and have your travel plan filled out and submitted BEFORE you get off the plane in AK... saves lots of time at the airport.

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
I sent in an Everlywell kit because I wasn't feeling great. I mailed the test 9/2 @ 4:30pm Central and received negative results last night 9/3 @ 10 PM, about 30 hrs after I sent the test in. On the results it says collected 9/2 @ 12:00am PDT and reported 9/4 @ 12:00am PDT even though results were reported on 9/3. The way the results came back I would have had about 80hrs to get the results and it would have looked like 72hrs on paper.

Voyageur

WKR
Not sure if this belongs with this thread, but I’ll post it here anyway. Like others did this year I waited to purchase my licenses and locking tag once I arrived in Alaska just in case travel did not work out at the last minute. Of the two places I checked with for purchasing tags they accepted only cash or debit cards… No credit cards or checks. Wasn’t a big deal because I had my debit card with me, but the thought occurred to me if a person did not have a debit card and was planning on using their cash for tips it could cause some headaches. Nothing earth shaking, and probably old hat for those that always wait and buy their licenses after they arrive, but figured it might be useful information for those like me who have always bought their licenses online prior to travel. Hope this helps someone.

Anyone using any of the approved test kits, I would NOT use Picture Genetics. I tried to activate my test kit this morning and it stated my activation number has already been used. You are literally unable to get in contact with anyone at this company. I am less than impressed and will be contacting my credit card company.

buzzy

WKR
Anyone have problems registering the picture genetics test kit. I never got a confirmation and when I look at the test in my account it says it still needs to be registered. I do get a message the kit was registered when I try again to register it.
Sent 2 emails and no response. Left a message and no response. Tried to chat but the function does not work. Pretty disappointed this is going the way it’s going with them. Glad I also ordered an Everlywell kit to have 2 tests in case I had problems with one.

Heads up if you go to the Picturegenetics site and sign up for their newsletter you can get a $30 discount on your 1st Covid kit ordered. However I couldn’t recommend them at this point with my experience.

buzzy

WKR
Anyone have problems registering the picture genetics test kit. I never got a confirmation and when I look at the test in my account it says it still needs to be registered. I do get a message the kit was registered when I try again to register it.
Sent 2 emails and no response. Left a message and no response. Tried to chat but the function does not work. Pretty disappointed this is going the way it’s going with them. Glad I also ordered an Everlywell kit to have 2 tests in case I had problems with one.

Heads up if you go to the Picturegenetics site and sign up for their newsletter you can get a $30 discount on your 1st Covid kit ordered. However I couldn’t recommend them at this point with my experience.

Update - apparently they had a system wide failure. They finally got ahold of me and had me register the kit and I had to send a special email to them with some specific language to get the kit set up. It sounds like things should be set now. Fingers crossed.

AKBorn

WKR
Not sure if this belongs with this thread, but I’ll post it here anyway. Like others did this year I waited to purchase my licenses and locking tag once I arrived in Alaska just in case travel did not work out at the last minute. Of the two places I checked with for purchasing tags they accepted only cash or debit cards… No credit cards or checks. Wasn’t a big deal because I had my debit card with me, but the thought occurred to me if a person did not have a debit card and was planning on using their cash for tips it could cause some headaches. Nothing earth shaking, and probably old hat for those that always wait and buy their licenses after they arrive, but figured it might be useful information for those like me who have always bought their licenses online prior to travel. Hope this helps someone.

THAT is valuable info, thanks for posting -

Kernbow - please take note of this in regards to purchase of license/tags in Anchorage...

Anyone using any of the approved test kits, I would NOT use Picture Genetics. I tried to activate my test kit this morning and it stated my activation number has already been used. You are literally unable to get in contact with anyone at this company. I am less than impressed and will be contacting my credit card company.

They finally emailed me back as well, I was just able to get the test in the mail before the end of the day. I also had to send the email to have the kit manually activated. I understand their problem, I don't understand the extreme problem making contact with anyone at the company. Barely worked out for me but I am guessing there are some others who never got through.

HunterMN

FNG
I sent a test into Picture Genetics Tuesday evening at 7:00 pm, they received my test at 10:30 am Wednesday, and I just received an email with negative results at 12:30 am Thursday. 29 1/2 hours for results. Fly to Alaska Friday!!

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
THAT is valuable info, thanks for posting -

Kernbow - please take note of this in regards to purchase of license/tags in Anchorage...
Thanks, just returned from Ak. Was already in the field. I had a friend pick me up at the hotel in Anc and take me to ADF&G in ANC.