Alaska vs Washington fishing charter

brockel

WKR
Wife and I are planning to take a guided fishing trip next summer for salmon, halibut, lingcod, and rockfish and have been trying to decide between just heading out to Washington or making the long trip up to Alaska. The tuna fishing out of Washington looks fun. For you guys that have done either where do you recommend? For you guys that have done both which did you prefer?

This is no contest. Your flight to Ak will mostly be filled with Wa fishermen which is a clear indicator of just how poor the fishing/seasons have become here. All my guide friends now spend their summers in Ak.

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been to Alaska sport fishing a dozen times, including last week. Always a good time, but it certainly isn’t what it used to be. Research what you want and where your going
B5F63EAC-7F89-4CE7-A28A-7E79E7B1EC36.jpeg

That said albacore tuna fishing is one of the funnest things you can do with a fishing rod, and is worth a dedicated trip itself. Not to mention after having fresh canned wild tuna you’ll never eat store bought again29804DB0-0194-423D-9699-C061C591E286.jpeg

Happy to answer any questions you have

Weather kept us from getting out for better sized halibut in the smaller boat but we had a great time when I was in homer a few weeks ago!

Attachments

• IMG_20210709_160901072_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210709_160901072_HDR.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 15
Alaska used to have a limit of 2 halibut per person, now its 1 halibut plus a halibut less than 32 inches (which is relatively small). Also ling cod not open until July.

In many areas of Alaska, the King (Chinook) Salmon run has been poor.
It is clear that in general, spawning Alaska salmon are getting smaller and the declines are most stark for Chinook or King salmon.
These changes are especially pronounced in the past 15-20 years, mostly due to younger age class at spawning.
source:
https://alaskasalmonandpeople.org/topics/the-declining-size-and-age-of-salmon/
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-17726-z
https://www.alaskajournal.com/busin...-finds-30-year-decline-chinook-size-statewide
Low 2021 runs of King (Chinook) Salmon continues in many drainages in Alaska:
Cumulative Counts
River 2021 2020 2019
Gulkana 24 132 2,988
Nushagak 2,228 7,814 15,945
Kenai Kings restricted to catch & release,
Anchor River and Deep Creek closed to fishing by emergency order
Nushagak-Mulchatna Drainages King Salmon limits reduced by emergency order
Subsistence and personal use fishing has been closed within the Yukon River drainage (including the Tanana River drainage).

Silver (coho) salmon fishing in August is a good choice...either a charter boat or fly fishing lodge.

LostArra

WKR
Where I fish in SE Alaska the halibut limit is more generous if you DIY (2 fish per day, any size). Guided, it's one fish per day with a reverse slot: keeper must be less than 40" or greater than 80". Releasing a 60" halibut after cranking one up from 300' is a bummer. We went with a guide the first day on our first trip there but just fish on our own now. Three Okies getting a 100 pounder in the boat the first time was quite the rodeo.

Last edited: