All New 2022 Tundra Leaked.....

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Quick refresh of the thread here.
My built '22 was delayed for a month due to transport issues, and I've decided that I'm officially out. Will text my salesman in the am.
Plagued with constant QC issues, poor fit and finish, turbo/break-downs--just read about a guy losing his brakes on the highway with his wife and kid--seriously? ..and completely unacceptable for a Toyota.
Will wait until mid-23 or thereabouts or when convinced that the bugs are worked out.

In the meantime, I did upgrade to a low miles '20 and as such got a solid dependable truck. I'll tolerate the fuel economy.
Love me some Voodoo blue, low miles, Scottsdale AZ truck, 40-20-40 bench seat--thumbs up, I wanted that feature.

Loathe to say this but the '22 has been a total CF, proceed with caution. Damn shame!

Attachments

• IMG_7073.JPG
    IMG_7073.JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
My buddy been driving a Platinum, 6500 Miles on his so far and no issues, we went fishing with it twice last week and it’s been sweet. He said he moved 9 out the door since the first of feb and hasn’t had any come back for turbo issues. I am not seeing any recalls on the 2022 yet either? Where are they listed ?

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
My buddy been driving a Platinum, 6500 Miles on his so far and no issues, we went fishing with it twice last week and it’s been sweet. He said he moved 9 out the door since the first of feb and hasn’t had any come back for turbo issues. I am not seeing any recalls on the 2022 yet either? Where are they listed ?
Don't think that Toyota has been willing to publicly acknowledge any issue at all with a formal recall.

For us, it came down to not wanting to be among that small percentage broke down. We live too far from anything. And imagine throwing a CEL somewhere in Ontario, Canada with a truck camper on the rig, boat in tow. Shudder to think about it. Just too much uncertainty.

Toyota, put some damn tow hooks on the '23! Who builds an Off-road 4wd w/o hooks?

Last edited:

BAKPAKR

WKR
I saw my first one in the wild yesterday. I thought it looked like a Tacoma on steroids - not a bad look but way different than the prior model.

260madman

WKR
Passed 2 truckloads of these Thursday on our way to KY. Not sure of the destination but was surprised to see them.

ODB

WKR
Quick refresh of the thread here.
My built '22 was delayed for a month due to transport issues, and I've decided that I'm officially out. Will text my salesman in the am.
Plagued with constant QC issues, poor fit and finish, turbo/break-downs--just read about a guy losing his brakes on the highway with his wife and kid--seriously? ..and completely unacceptable for a Toyota.
Will wait until mid-23 or thereabouts or when convinced that the bugs are worked out.

In the meantime, I did upgrade to a low miles '20 and as such got a solid dependable truck. I'll tolerate the fuel economy.
Love me some Voodoo blue, low miles, Scottsdale AZ truck, 40-20-40 bench seat--thumbs up, I wanted that feature.

Loathe to say this but the '22 has been a total CF, proceed with caution. Damn shame!

Man that’s a bummer. I have not heard of the issues, but already having a 2021 I don’t really go looking for them.

I took my truck on its first long trip last weekend to a volleyball tournament in Vegas. We went down 93 the whole way through Nevada. In the Idaho stint going 85 i got almost 16.5mpg, in Nevada where I was going no more than 70-75 I was getting almost 20mpg on the long stints between wells and ely and ely and Vegas. It was a good, comfortable trip.

Enjoy your 2020. They are great trucks.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Man that’s a bummer. I have not heard of the issues, but already having a 2021 I don’t really go looking for them.

I took my truck on its first long trip last weekend to a volleyball tournament in Vegas. We went down 93 the whole way through Nevada. In the Idaho stint going 85 i got almost 16.5mpg, in Nevada where I was going no more than 70-75 I was getting almost 20mpg on the long stints between wells and ely and ely and Vegas. It was a good, comfortable trip.

Enjoy your 2020. They are great trucks.
Thanks for chiming in, ODB. There was a time I simply wouldn't have believed your '20 mpg' ascertain--nothing personal. But I would have been 100% wrong.

My wife and I picked up the '20 near the gates of Yellowstone National Park. She drove it home, I drove our gen 1 pulling a new 17' Alumacraft boat that we picked up in Bozeman earlier that morning.
When we stopped for gas after a few hours of driving she told me she was getting 20.4 mpg, and I told her that's not right, no way in hell that was accurate. I topped her off and instantly knew she wasn't mistaken, the newer blue truck took very little gas to fill up. My truck took twice the fuel, especially with the boat.
She managed to average 20.4 mpg all the way home from Powell, Wy, to St. Maries, ID. There was quite a bit of elevation change both up and down, so that's a wash. She was drafting behind me too part of the time, but not always.
Into three tanks and over 1000 miles I'm now at 18.8-18.9mpg. It's been fluctuating right there with my gravel driving.
I have no doubt when I hit solid pavement again for any real trip I'll be right at 20 mpg. ---factory tires, 89 octane gas, speeds under 70.
I'll gladly take that all day long. Pleasantly surprised! And honeslty I don't think the new TTV6 will give much better; that's sad considering how much sh!t is under the hood now with those new trucks trying to eek out 22 mpg or so.

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
Thanks for chiming in, ODB. There was a time I simply wouldn't have believed your '20 mpg' ascertain--nothing personal. But I would have been 100% wrong.

My wife and I picked up the '20 near the gates of Yellowstone National Park. She drove it home, I drove our gen 1 pulling a new 17' Alumacraft boat that we picked up in Bozeman earlier that morning.
When we stopped for gas after a few hours of driving she told me she was getting 20.4 mpg, and I told her that's not right, no way in hell that was accurate. I topped her off and instantly knew she wasn't mistaken, the newer blue truck took very little gas to fill up. My truck took twice the fuel, especially with the boat.
She managed to average 20.4 mpg all the way home from Powell, Wy, to St. Maries, ID. There was quite a bit of elevation change both up and down, so that's a wash. She was drafting behind me too part of the time, but not always.
Into three tanks and over 1000 miles I'm now at 18.8-18.9mpg. It's been fluctuating right there with my gravel driving.
I have no doubt when I hit solid pavement again for any real trip I'll be right at 20 mpg. ---factory tires, 89 octane gas, speeds under 70.
I'll gladly take that all day long. Pleasantly surprised! And honeslty I don't think the new TTV6 will give much better; that's sad considering how much sh!t is under the hood now with those new trucks trying to eek out 22 mpg or so.

Awesome! Yeah, I know most guys probably call bullshit on my MPG (even a very good friend), but if you don’t drive like a maniac, keep RPMs as close to 2k as you can for long(er) hauls, the truck does very well.

I saw one that looked a lot like the one in the picture this past weekend and the first thing I noticed was that terrible looking grill! What is with the huge bull ring looking thing. I did however notice that when the grill is either all black or color matched it looks great, but the contrasting color I really don't like. Now thats a pretty silly thing to worry about I understand, and honestly I am not looking to buy one anytime soon, but figured why not comment my thoughts on the thread about the 22' Tundra. We do love our 11' AWD Sienna handles the Idaho mountains and weather quite nicely, and its incomparable on long road trips, wonder if they will stuff that twin turbo in the next Sienna, ours is a NA 3.5.

1649351528998.png

My f150 is due for replacement soon and was leaning tundra but been hearing too many negatives. Underperforming on fuel economy, the turbo issues, build quality complaints. I didn’t notice until recently that the rear bumper isn’t even continuous for the whole length so if you hit something on the back corners it’s hitting the rear quarter panel. Dumb.

ODB

WKR
I’ve been seeing a number of them on the road and I can’t help but think they tried too hard to accomplish too many things at once and it came out hit or miss. Dunno, just can’t seem to like them. I’m overall happy with my 21, but I must say the interior is not nearly as quality as my 2002. The carpet is very thin and the seat material is rough and hold too much dirt. Still, I hope it will be a 20+ year truck.

But if we could ever get a Series 70 here I’d sell it to one of you good lads in a heartbeat ;-)

Last edited:

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
I had a deposit on a Limited Off-Road. A friend of ours has the same truck. For my needs, it was too big, so I canceled the deposit and am waiting to see what the next gen Tacoma brings.

Trial153

WKR
Three months in, I really like my 22 verse the previous models. Better ride all the way around, quieter and more nimble and responsive. The interior is way nicer as well. Not to mention the gas mileage is way way better… I still am on the list for a TRD Pro build and i am really thinking of taking the build when it comes up.

ODB

WKR
Three months in, I really like my 22 verse the previous models. Better ride all the way around, quieter and more nimble and responsive. The interior is way nicer as well. Not to mention the gas mileage is way way better… I still am on the list for a TRD Pro build and i am really thinking of taking the build when it comes up.

What is your tank average MPG?

Trial153

WKR
What is your tank average MPG?

Just did a 3600km trip and I was looking at 10.3 liters per 100 that’s probably about 23mpg or so, with the hills and up and down it wasn’t too bad. Never seen anything remotely close to that it’s previous generations.

Just around town, and locally …which is all hills for the most part I still am getting 19.5mpg

Last edited:
OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Just did a 3600km trip and I was looking at 10.3 liters per 100 that’s probably about 23mpg or so, with the hills and up and down it wasn’t too bad. Never seen anything remotely close to that it’s previous generations.

Just around town, and locally …which is all hills for the most part I still am getting 19.5mpg
That's solid MPG...glad to read this and happy for you. Post a pic of your beast in the wild when you can.

Crazy timing to resurface this thread. I was online pricing out Tundras last night and remembered this thread existed. Was planning to search it out this morning. Any other first hand experience or credible rumors on issues with these? What is the lead time people are seeing for delivery after ordering?

I was basically ready to order a Silverado with the 3.0 duramax and the one I was ready to order magically went up nearly $5,000 in price since two weeks ago. Made me a little angry so it had me shopping around a bit. After reading here, might still stick with the 3.0 Chevy. But I’m not brand loyal with vehicles, just want the best available to last me 15-20 years.

just want the best available to last me 15-20 years.
i think you want a toyota then. and if it doesnt work out its going to hold the best value.

this is a good forum do to some more digging

i think a lot of the initial issues they were able to remedy via computer resets or something like that