All New 2022 Tundra Leaked.....

jlh42581

WKR
Do you have any idea what it would take to break even on a new truck to do it for the gas mileage? Laughable at best, just like thinking you'll do it with a daily driver diesel. Juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Btw, my 14 5.7 gets 17 average

i hope this isn't like when ford ditched the 7.3 and released the 6.0 :unsure:

we bought a 21' tundra a few months ago, so i won't be in the market for the new one, especially as a reliability guinea pig test that you pay 60k to participate in, haha. i hope they get it right.

as big as tundras are, my next full size pickup will probably be a diesel..

do we think that there is any possibility of Toyota releasing a full size pickup that gets better fuel economy than a taco? i just don't see the fuel economy going up a whole bunch, maybe i'm wrong

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We actually get 17 -19 most times with out 5.7 engines .. On in an 18 Tundra one in a 200 series

KurtR

WKR
i hope this isn't like when ford ditched the 7.3 and released the 6.0 :unsure:

we bought a 21' tundra a few months ago, so i won't be in the market for the new one, especially as a reliability guinea pig test that you pay 60k to participate in, haha. i hope they get it right.

as big as tundras are, my next full size pickup will probably be a diesel..

do we think that there is any possibility of Toyota releasing a full size pickup that gets better fuel economy than a taco? i just don't see the fuel economy going up a whole bunch, maybe i'm wrong
You didn’t watch that last video that was posted. It is using engine and transmission from the Lexus so it has some years on it. I’m a few years out from a new pick up but wouldn’t be scarred of a 22 at all.

I think it looks awesome I like I don’t have to add light bars. Does any one know of it will have a locking dog?

If you are getting 17 on a regular basis you have a hidden gem. Most folks are in the 13-14 range.

Our LC is a 14.5-16 mpg
we get about 14.5mpg when my wife's driving, about 12.8mpg with me driving.... it's not great. it is a nice, comfortable smooth driving pickup, but i avoid driving it unless i have too... i pawned it off on my wife, and just use it when towing my work boat

it seemed to still be the best option, i'm not brave enough to buy a ford 1/2 ton, chevy... don't know much about theirs, Dodge was tempting, but the economy isn't much improvement, so we bought the best resale value

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Do you have any idea what it would take to break even on a new truck to do it for the gas mileage? Laughable at best, just like thinking you'll do it with a daily driver diesel. Juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Btw, my 14 5.7 gets 17 average

I've had five Tundras, including the Gen 2, and even with a 4.6L and an empty bed, flat roads, etc, the economy was horrendous, 15-17 was the norm with a light foot.

Some guys don't care about pouring money into the tank, hey, it's a free country.
It could be said that Toyota realized that many of us Tundra fans were lost until they got their sh t together re. economy, it's why the V8 is toast.

ODB

WKR
The mileage reports on the newer tundras are frustrating. Hard to believe mid-high teens is all it can do. I can get 20 with my gen1 on a very good day keeping it under 65. Usually 18. But it’s 20 years old. So much for progress.

brocksw

WKR
You didn’t watch that last video that was posted. It is using engine and transmission from the Lexus so it has some years on it. I’m a few years out from a new pick up but wouldn’t be scarred of a 22 at all.

I think it looks awesome I like I don’t have to add light bars. Does any one know of it will have a locking dog?
Rumor is it(or perhaps just the TRD pro) has a front and rear locker

My 21 gets 18.5mpg on trips between 50-60mpb the whole way and 13-14mpg for in town driving. I’m gonna say there is no way the 22 will avg 20mpg city/highway. Just like when they redid the Tacoma and the mpg didn’t change at all.

hobbes

WKR
I've had five Tundras, including the Gen 2, and even with a 4.6L and an empty bed, flat roads, etc, the economy was horrendous, 15-17 was the norm with a light foot.

Some guys don't care about pouring money into the tank, hey, it's a free country.
It could be said that Toyota realized that many of us Tundra fans were lost until they got their sh t together re. economy, it's why the V8 is toast.
And some folks don't mind pouring payments into the bank that outweigh a difference of 5 mpg.

The difference between mpg in fuel costs per year comparing 15 mpg and 20 mpg are $1083 at 20,000 miles and $812 at 15,000 miles, paying $3.25 per gallon. Easily justifiable at $60,000 for a new truck. :)

Nothing wrong with jumping on a new truck but you can't win out on fuel mileage.

Trial153

WKR
I have an appointment with our dealer to spec one out and place an order mid November. Supposedly most of the info on the truck is coming later this month. I am hoping it pops into my feed after i come down from BC in couple weeks.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
And some folks don't mind pouring payments into the bank that outweigh a difference of 5 mpg.

The difference between mpg in fuel costs per year comparing 15 mpg and 20 mpg are $1083 at 20,000 miles and $812 at 15,000 miles, paying $3.25 per gallon. Easily justifiable at $60,000 for a new truck. :)

Nothing wrong with jumping on a new truck but you can't win out on fuel mileage.
Hey, I'm not paying $60K for any vehicle.
If I can't buy a new '22 for close to $20K less than that I'll continue driving my current gen 1.

I've owned one new vehicle in my lifetime, a new 2000 Tundra that my wife surprised me with. I won't buy anything that isn't a great value with great economy.

My 21 gets 18.5mpg on trips between 50-60mpb the whole way and 13-14mpg for in town driving. I’m gonna say there is no way the 22 will avg 20mpg city/highway. Just like when they redid the Tacoma and the mpg didn’t change at all.
I did get quite a bit better economy on my gen 3 taco vs my gen 2, and both were a good amount better than the gen 1’s I drove… I got over 18mpg almost always with my gen 3, with E rated MT’s, got 22-23 driving over East

my gen 2 was maybe 17mpg. I figured the gen 3 economy improvement was their gearing, which annoyed me from day 1.

I also had a 2008 tundra (also the 5.7) and it seemed like it got a good amount better economy than our 21’ we have now, but I’m thinking it wasn’t, it just didn’t have a digital read out telling you what you’re getting, so I could make up better mpg numbers ;)

I personally like the 5.7, but they are gas hogs, and I don’t think they tow as good as they should… my boat is about 6k on the trailer and the tundra doesn’t like it on hills, seems like my little Colorado zr2 pulls it as easy as the tundra. Might just be gearing that makes it feel like that.

I’m hoping the new tundra is a hit, I always root for Toyota, but I feel like they have been riding their reputation the last few years… would like to see them have the best in their class again with their pickups… their reputation can’t carry them forever.

IdahoElk

WKR
What can you really expect MPG to be when you're driving a full size pickup with a V8? maybe 18mpg at the most?

KurtR

WKR
i get 14.5 with my 14 tundra but no way in hell im driving 55 mph around here old ladies in the Buicks would be blowing by you.

What can you really expect MPG to be when you're driving a full size pickup with a V8? maybe 18mpg at the most?
I have a 15 x-cab Silverado with the v6 and get 22 on the highway @ 70mph. My son has the same truck in a 16 double cab v8 and he gets 21. It's not unusual for me to get 23-24 on long drives. It's a big reason I chose the Silverado over the Tundra. I owned an '08 Tundra for years and loved it. Would love to have another that gets over 20 mph.

hobbes

WKR
Hey, I'm not paying $60K for any vehicle.
If I can't buy a new '22 for close to $20K less than that I'll continue driving my current gen 1.

I've owned one new vehicle in my lifetime, a new 2000 Tundra that my wife surprised me with. I won't buy anything that isn't a great value with great economy.
Same here. I've not owned new since 95. I do like to look though, so won't rule out losing my mind at some point.