Alpacka Raft System

Doddse1

FNG
Has anyone here ever used the Alpacka Rafts for back country hunts? I am trying to figure out if this is worth the money. I'm considering the Caribou or the Mule for crossing rivers, streams, in the back country. Anyone who has experience with these I would appreciate it.

Poser

WKR
I have not used one, but, they are made right down the road from me and I know folks who work there. Great company, friendly to hunters and supportive of public lands and you’d be hard pressed to find a more reputable brand for packrafts. I also know multiple people who have used them for packraft omg trips. If I were going to buy one, that’s the only brand I would consider.

Stid2677

WKR
Very worth it, tough as nails.

Sheep%2020171_zpszkblna82.jpg

You might find this recent interview with the founder of Apacka Rafts interesting/helpful. He talks about the different raft models and their best uses. I haven't used one personally, but I'm intrigued by the idea of taking a backpacking/rafting combo trip sometime in the future.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
They’re way more durable than you think. I bought a forager this year and have been damn near purposefully been trying to puncture it on some floats to see if I can trust it in season. They’re awesome.

Stid2677

WKR
They are crazy durable, in years of use, I have never had a leak or cut.

feanor

WKR
What is the minimum water depth with a raft loaded to 230 lbs or so. I know each raft probably has different specs. But ballpark?

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
What is the minimum water depth with a raft loaded to 230 lbs or so. I know each raft probably has different specs. But ballpark?

My forager gets by in 3” of water (no not kidding) with around 400 lbs in it. They have an absurdly shallow draft. The forager is specifically meant to carry heavy loads though, so some of the smaller rafts may drag under heavier weight.

How durable/puncture resistant are these when you’re dealing with sticks, logs and branches? Water smoothed rocks, especially wet, usually don’t have much grab to them. But if you’re hauling some dead weight and come upon a downed tree blocking the stream is that a no go? Unload all of your cargo to carry 20 feet around the tree and re-secure stuff? Or can you avoid the sharp broken branches and drag across the log up out of the water? Any comparison of the Alpacka Forager and the PR-49 for this application?

feanor

WKR
My forager gets by in 3” of water (no not kidding) with around 400 lbs in it. They have an absurdly shallow draft. The forager is specifically meant to carry heavy loads though, so some of the smaller rafts may drag under heavier weight.
That’s insane! Better than my tire inner tube floating in the summer.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
How durable/puncture resistant are these when you’re dealing with sticks, logs and branches? Water smoothed rocks, especially wet, usually don’t have much grab to them. But if you’re hauling some dead weight and come upon a downed tree blocking the stream is that a no go? Unload all of your cargo to carry 20 feet around the tree and re-secure stuff? Or can you avoid the sharp broken branches and drag across the log up out of the water? Any comparison of the Alpacka Forager and the PR-49 for this application?

The PR-49 wins in durability when it comes to dragging it over things and through brush. Alpacka’s are far from soft though, they bounce off of sweepers and skim over logs and rocks like it’s nothing. It’s just a thinner material than a PR-49. The lightweight and ability to store gear in the tubes steered me towards alpacka.

Selling my home soon and am really wanting to hop on the Alpacka bandwagon. The cargo storage zippers....Steve or any others.....these seem like a TON of maintenance and a huge Achille's. Any comments?

Thanks to the OP for the thread, I have the same question. My apologies for the small hi-jack though as I am wanting to follow a stream for several miles rather than just cross. Best of luck with your decision and let us know how it goes.

Thanks 207 for the feedback. The Forager is the Alpacka I was looking at but am leaning toward the PR.