Am I crazy?

PAhntr91

WKR
Classified Approved
We’ll stuff fell through for spring bear in Canada this year. Now I’m thinking of heading out to Idaho or mt this may solo. Driving from pa. Its a hike I’m willing to make. Am I crazy or completely sane.

Have made the drive from western NY to western MT a few times. Once in three days, once in two days, once straight through. it's a haul, bring snacks.

Driving takes more days on both ends of the trip over flying, but being able to have a vehicle, comfy camp, bunch of gear, etc Is well worth it.

Also love hunting solo on long trips. Be prepared to battle your mind. Heading home with a punched tag will make it all worth it.

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
Classified Approved
Yeah I think I’m gonna run with it. I’ll enjoy the drive. I think it’s all the people you tell that your gonna do this and they call you crazy.

colby12

WKR
Do it! When people in Mt find out I drive from Oklahoma to hunt spring bear for two weeks they look at me like I’ve got something wrong with me. Never regretted it. Spring bear has opened up a whole new world that I think is awesome.

Also, next season isn’t guaranteed and you only have a finite number of years. Don’t waste them.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think you're crazy...but I'm in GA and am driving to AZ next January and ID next September, so we sound alike!

You might consider Montana to save a little bit of driving.
The difference is like 2000 vs 2250 miles respectively. Me? I'd fly, rent a truck and buy a 150qt cooler to bring my bear home. Wouldn't cost that much more given the cost of gas these days and 60 hours of driving is a lot of driving. I'd drive if I were hunting bison or something but not for a bear. You know they have bears in PA right? :) The heaviest bear ever taken in Pennsylvania was an 875-pounder harvested in 2010 in Middle Smithfield Township, Pike County. That's a bigazz bear.

6a00d8341bf7d953ef0147e02224e1970b-800wi

Last edited:
OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
Classified Approved
The difference is like 2000 vs 2250 miles respectively. Me? I'd fly, rent a truck and buy a 150qt cooler to bring my bear home. Wouldn't cost that much more given the cost of gas these days and 60 hours of driving is a lot of driving. I'd drive if I were hunting bison or something but not for a bear. You know they have bears in PA right? :) The heaviest bear ever taken in Pennsylvania was an 875-pounder harvested in 2010 in Middle Smithfield Township, Pike County. That's a bigazz bear.

6a00d8341bf7d953ef0147e02224e1970b-800wi
Haha yeah we got bears. Around every tree. I’ve only seen one with my eyes here. But can’t hunt them in the spring. What else am I gonna do in the spring!? Man I thought about flying but what’s a truck or car rental these days it’s gotta be up there.

Haha yeah we got bears. Around every tree. I’ve only seen one with my eyes here. But can’t hunt them in the spring. What else am I gonna do in the spring!? Man I thought about flying but what’s a truck or car rental these days it’s gotta be up there.

Why not do a hog hunt in FL? The states wants em dead...big or small-kill em all. No size or bag limit, no wanton waste citations...it's an amazing hunt opp.

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
We’ll stuff fell through for spring bear in Canada this year. Now I’m thinking of heading out to Idaho or mt this may solo. Driving from pa. Its a hike I’m willing to make. Am I crazy or completely sane.
Is any bear hunter completely sane? 🙂 Another vote for you to go for it! You only get so many seasons.

If you have the tag, the time, the $$, and you can do the hunt without putting so much pressure on yourself to kill a bear that it makes it more stressful than fun, go for it! Springtime in the mountains is awesome!