Am I the only one who doesn’t use any gloves when I am gutting an animal out lol.

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
I'll wear them if I remember to or if I have them in my pack. You're supposed to with wolves, they can pass some nasty shit on to humans.

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
For a lot of fish and a few deer/elk each year I'm trying to get myself to consistently wear a protective glove on my off hand to keep me from cutting myself. I generally do not wear rubber gloves to keep clean, or prevent infection from the animal.

How exactly do you not touch the meat when processing an animal?
DB29 said:
For those who don’t wear gloves, do you wash your hands before breaking down the animal? Or you go from days in the field scratching any itch, then break the animal down without cleaning your hands?

If you’re at a restaurant and watch the cook scratch an itch then grab your steak and put it on the grill are you good with that too?

When in the field, if I need to pack the animal I take the quarters and backstraps. Little if any of the raw exposed meat will actually end up on the grill, I trim judiciously. I also wash regularly when in the field.

Cutting the meat up at home I also wash regularly and don't scratch any itch while handling the raw meat.

As I said, I process my own. You might ask those who do not process their own how do they know the cook at your restaurant with the itch isn't working part time at the meat processing plant.

( Sorry about not getting the quote function correct )

I'm the puss that wears them. Usually 2-3 pairs on me. GLOVEWORKS HD 8mil
I think they are the best nitriles made, I wear them a bunch between breaking critters down, to salmon fishing dealing with the chemicals in egg cures and dyes, to work, to processing, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_9364.png
    IMG_9364.png
    229.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1297.jpeg
    IMG_1297.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 18

Tahoe1305

WKR
Maybe it’s just me, but when I do wear them I can’t think of the last time I got done and they weren’t all ripped to shreds from bone, knives, or who knows what. Maybe I need to be more careful.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
After being indoctrinated via medical training for years, it’s just second nature to throw them on and never had a problem with rips/tears. There’s two pairs in my dress kit and another two in my first aid setup. I’m a sucker for efficiency and not having to waste drinking water or hoofin’ it down to a creek just means I’m further down the hill and closer to the cooler.

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
I carry those long sleeves plastic ones now and nitrile gloves. It keeps me clean. But I will do the job, gloves or not. Never bothered me except for trying to keep things clean.

WRO

WKR
e902699e6414f4bdcd07e8f988e1ed69.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
I wear them but I haven't gutted an animal in many years.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Fordguy

WKR
DB29 said:
For those who don’t wear gloves, do you wash your hands before breaking down the animal? Or you go from days in the field scratching any itch, then break the animal down without cleaning your hands?

If you’re at a restaurant and watch the cook scratch an itch then grab your steak and put it on the grill are you good with that too?

When in the field, if I need to pack the animal I take the quarters and backstraps. Little if any of the raw exposed meat will actually end up on the grill, I trim judiciously. I also wash regularly when in the field.

Cutting the meat up at home I also wash regularly and don't scratch any itch while handling the raw meat.

As I said, I process my own. You might ask those who do not process their own how do they know the cook at your restaurant with the itch isn't working part time at the meat processing plant.

( Sorry about not getting the quote function correct )
1703395006647.png

I do wear them when gutting/skinning mainly for easier cleanup in the field but what is up with all the BBQ guys wearing gloves?

Have we all gotten that soft?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Wrench

WKR
I don't wear gloves on deer nor elk. I do carry them for wolves. I will zip tie a glove around proof of sex in required states.

After killing, gutting, cutting and wrapping well north of 30 elk and more deer than that and having zero issues.....I'm not sure what problems I'd be fixing.

I'm one of those old school dude who has a cast iron pan on my stove that hasn't been washed in soap since better than half of you were wearing diapers. I figure what is dawn soap going to kill that 400* temps wont?

I find it funny that we're talking about scratching our butt and gutting an animal.....we're literally taking his guts and body apart. There's going to be some cross contamination.

Toughen up and stay salty.

Wrench

WKR
Ps, I swung by Arby's and grabbed me a ruben sammy after boning out my elk last week. I didn't have a sink in the truck....so I risked it again. No poops, no dead....just a sammich with a hint of pink on the bread.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
How do all you guys keep your butt out tool from poking holes in your gloves while in your kill kits? :unsure:

I do wear them when gutting/skinning mainly for easier cleanup in the field but what is up with all the BBQ guys wearing gloves?

Have we all gotten that soft?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Apparently so.
I’ve seen mechanics wear those dainty rubber gloves while working on cars too…. I just laugh.
Bunch of wimps.

The most discusting thing I have seen in the woods was a gut pile with shoulder length gloves left on top. Please take them with you when you leave.

Marshfly

WKR
Apparently so.
I’ve seen mechanics wear those dainty rubber gloves while working on cars too…. I just laugh.
Bunch of wimps.
Just like when processing an animal, the increased grip is reason enough alone to use latex gloves. Nothing wimpy about NOT dropping a wrench, bolt, or nut into no man's land under a hood because you have better grip.