Am I wasting my money?

Benjblt

WKR
I've always wanted a custom rifle. I bought a Remington 700 XCR II with the Trinyte coating in 300 WSM. I put a 510 Timney in it. It shot a 2-1/2" group. If you know anything about the Hogue overmold stocks that they were sold in they are not free floated. They have two tabs at the end of the stock that contact the barrel. So I put a limbsaver deresonator and the group sucked in to sub MOA. Amazing!! But I hate the way it looks so I'm putting a Bell and Carlson in Olive (weighs about 4oz more then the stock it came with). The lug area will be epoxy bedded. Am I wasting my money? Will this eliminate my need for the deresonator? It's free floated.

I like the looks of the B&C in green online. Anyone with experience with these? Do you like them? Do they look good?

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have an Alaskan II that is usually on a 300 RUM. I really like the feel of it. Mine weighs just under 34 oz on my scale, so it is not really a lightweight. My barrel is free-floated but I don’t think I saw much change in group size as the factory stock was laminated.

I just put it on a 30-06 I picked up in a pawn shop to try out before rebarreling to 280 AI or reboring to 338-06. I am going to get a lighter stock for that (and the Bushnell will go back on my air rifle).

2336E93E-6355-4A2D-94C7-D70D6FCC74B5.jpeg

Rob5589

WKR
I have run the B&C stocks in the target style versions and they are solid for the price. I always bedded the lug and skim bedded the action but neither are 100% necessary.

I have two on tikkas. Purely asthetic as the guns shot great before and still do now. Ive also got the target one on a big heavy 6BR. That gun boringly shoots a small ragged hole.
Not fancy like a mcmillan or manners, but they look good, feel good in the hand and the three guns i have in them shoot lights out. Cant ask for more than that imho.
Id be intetested in hearing how your gun shoots in one.

Best of luck

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
A factory Remington with an upgraded trigger shooting a 2.5" group sounds like an ammo issue to me. Did you try different ammo? Every Remington I own, which is several, shoots sub MOA. With that said, every one also improved slightly by free floating the factory stock. My advise is to change the stock if you really want to, or free float the one that is on it now, give the barrel a good cleaning making sure you remove all the copper fouling, and try some different ammo.

LaHunter

WKR
It's difficult to say if you will get the results that you are looking for, by putting the B&C stock on it and bedding the recoil lug area. I have had a factory M700 with a HS Precision stock that was sub MOA with factory ammo, but it was already a sub moa rifle with the Tupperware factory stock. Bedding the lug area is probably a good idea too. With a factory rifle, it's just difficult to predict the results that you will get with your upgrades, but I would expect to see some improvement. Like was mentioned earlier, you may need to look at different ammo, or possibly look and reloading to get the most out of your rig.

Wrench

WKR
The deresonator working tells you it's not a optics issue but a barrel harmonics issue.

Any stock that is bedded and not making barrel contact will help tremendously. You may not get to the same accuracy as the deresonator...or you may surpass it. Some load experimentation will finish the job.

B&C and hs make decent stocks. They are clubby and not as many shapes as mcmillan or manners, and can't be had as light....but they are a serviceable upgrade from tupperware.

Brown, mpi, high tech...and others offer good stocks that have to be finished, but if you find a used one....they're worth a look at.

AND there's the "new kid on the block" WILDCAT COMPOSITES out of Alberta who has some very good prices and great reviews across the board

WKR
Remove the contact points in the Hogue stock and then bed the lug. While it is off, grab some spray paint and paint it if you don't like the factory look. It might work great and you're out no money really. Otherwise I'd save up and put a McMillan Classic on it. Just restocked this rig with another McMillan.

My go to rifle is a Remington 700 XCR ii in 270 win. I put a Timney Trigger in it and put it in a drop in Mc millan classic edge stock. I mounted a VX3 3.5-10x40 in some warne rings. No other mods.

I have a lot of money in it.

But I am as close to 100% satisfied with this rifle as any of the other rifles I own. I didnt need to but I would gladly sell a few of the others to have financed it.

It shoots 130 gr green box remington Core-lokt at an 1 inch or under depending on how many cups of coffee I have had. Thats as good as I can shoot.

The only thing I would do different is I would have used Talley LW rings and the only thing else I might do would be some lighter weight bottom metal.
Those mods would be to just lighten up a bit although at just under 8 lbs its no heavy weight.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Remove the contact points in the Hogue stock and then bed the lug. While it is off, grab some spray paint and paint it if you don't like the factory look. It might work great and you're out no money really. Otherwise I'd save up and put a McMillan Classic on it. Just restocked this rig with another McMillan.
Good looking stock.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
My go to rifle is a Remington 700 XCR ii in 270 win. I put a Timney Trigger in it and put it in a drop in Mc millan classic edge stock. I mounted a VX3 3.5-10x40 in some warne rings. No other mods.

I have a lot of money in it.

But I am as close to 100% satisfied with this rifle as any of the other rifles I own. I didnt need to but I would gladly sell a few of the others to have financed it.

It shoots 130 gr green box remington Core-lokt at an 1 inch or under depending on how many cups of coffee I have had. Thats as good as I can shoot.

The only thing I would do different is I would have used Talley LW rings and the only thing else I might do would be some lighter weight bottom metal.
Those mods would be to just lighten up a bit although at just under 8 lbs its no heavy weight.

"depending on how many cups of coffee I've had" (y):D

Looks like the McMillan Classic weighs as much as the B&C I'm getting. At this point the gunsmith has already ordered it so I'm locked in.

What light weight bottom metal would you get? How much would it lighten it?

"depending on how many cups of coffee I've had" (y):D

Looks like the McMillan Classic weighs as much as the B&C I'm getting. At this point the gunsmith has already ordered it so I'm locked in.

What light weight bottom metal would you get? How much would it lighten it?
Not in an edge fill. Standard fill maybe.

Not sure what bottom metal I would get. Probably have to get some ideas on here. On what would be lighter.
I believe my mcmillan classic edge weighs 22-23 oz.