American made alternatives to the tikka ?

As someone who has only owned one rifle (Savage 11), I don’t really understand what it means when someone says that the Tikka is so great. I’ve handled one at the store; there is a stock, a barrel, a bolt, and a trigger - like all the rest. You run the action like any other gun, aim it like any other gun, pull the trigger like any other gun. I guess I just haven’t developed whatever sense it is that allows people to distinguish quality. Maybe that’s a good thing: I’m not tempted to spend more money on something I already have.

For decades America has churned out mediocre bolt rifles. For a ”mountain” rifle, you had to go custom or spend a ton. Some guys bought Tikkas and they shot pretty good for pretty cheap and had the features and specs just not available at the price point. Those Tikka owners were full of happiness and mirth about having such a cheap rifle that seemed to perform decent. They got over on the “man”, and let everyone know it.

Fast forward to today, plenty of manufacturers make great rifles that are every bit as accurate and light. There is no reason to be a Tikka fanboy any more.

An inexpensive Savage or Mossberg will shoot and carry with any Tikka all day long. Very fine rifles can and are made in the USA.

BjornF16

WKR
I missed the price point originally...if you replace the Tikka stock you are close to Savage Ultralite, Kimber Mountain Ascent and Barrett FC price points.

Otherwise, Kimber Hunter and Savage Lightweight Hunter are similar price point as Tikka T3X.

Kimber Montana is in between those two price points and well worth the “upgrade”.

Apollo117

WKR
Lots of good info posted already. I'll add my two cents.

My family has about 20 Savage rifles currently (we might all suffer from the same addiction). We've never had a single inaccurate Savage. The worst "might" be a little over MOA.

Some people say Savages are ugly, but that's subjective. Even if you do find Savages ugly, you learn to ignore that feeling when your cheap gun shoots tiny groups consistently.

Full disclosure, we also have several Tikkas that live up to the hype.

For decades America has churned out mediocre bolt rifles. For a ”mountain” rifle, you had to go custom or spend a ton. Some guys bought Tikkas and they shot pretty good for pretty cheap and had the features and specs just not available at the price point. Those Tikka owners were full of happiness and mirth about having such a cheap rifle that seemed to perform decent. They got over on the “man”, and let everyone know it.

Fast forward to today, plenty of manufacturers make great rifles that are every bit as accurate and light. There is no reason to be a Tikka fanboy any more.

An inexpensive Savage or Mossberg will shoot and carry with any Tikka all day long. Very fine rifles can and are made in the USA.

Except with a savage you get those stupid ass bladed triggers, when they went to that they lost me.

My cousin bought one of these Mossberg Patriot rifles for his wife. The rifle has killed plenty of Sitka blacktail deer.
The rifle shoots “lights out” and carries real nice. It has a fluted stainless barrel that is cerakoted. It’s not as “smooth” as the imports or more expensive rifles, but will shoot as accurately as any with factory ammo. These rifles by Mossberg should definitely be getting more love from American hunters imo.

01D2B5E1-37CB-466F-9C9A-C9087DCFF64C.jpeg

Except with a savage you get those stupid ass bladed triggers, when they went to that they lost me.
I’ve got one of those ”accutriggers” on my 220 slug gun, it’s actually a decent enough trigger. The Triggertech on my Ridgeline is something to behold though...

Rich M

WKR
As someone who has only owned one rifle (Savage 11), I don’t really understand what it means when someone says that the Tikka is so great. I’ve handled one at the store; there is a stock, a barrel, a bolt, and a trigger - like all the rest. You run the action like any other gun, aim it like any other gun, pull the trigger like any other gun. I guess I just haven’t developed whatever sense it is that allows people to distinguish quality. Maybe that’s a good thing: I’m not tempted to spend more money on something I already have.

It is good for you.

Some guns do just plain feel better than others - I was fondling guns the other day - Ruger American, Browning, and one other, for get what it was. The salesman was arrogant, so I stopped, wanted to buy but hey. Anyway the Browning felt much more balanced, stock fit better & wasn't flexible flimsy, no bent flat metal parts, that kind of thing.

Apollo117

WKR
What is it you don't like about the Accutriggers? They're pretty easy to adjust and they act much like a good two stage trigger. Just curious.

MattB

WKR

Fat chicks have heads, arms, and legs like any other woman. The same rules apply.

pirogue

WKR
Can’t believe a Savage is mentioned in a Tikka “equal quality” thread. Last new one I looked at, before I bought a Tikka, had a magazine insertion problem, that you almost needed to stand on to get it to click.

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
This is just my humble opinion, Tikkas are ugly and feel “cheap”. Tikka fanboys are obnoxious...

MSRP on a Tikka T3x SuperLight is $929 for a 6# rifle.

MSRP on a Kimber Hunter is $973 for a <6# rifle.

MSRP on a Christensen Arms Mesa is $1295 for a >6# rifle.

MSRP on a Barret Fieldcraft is $1810 for <6# rifle.

MSRP on a Winchester Extreme Weather SS is $1399 for a >6# rifle.

MSRP on a Savage 110 Ultralite is $1499 for a <6# rifle.
Proof carbon barrel and threaded...

MSRP on a Savage 110 Lightweight Storm is $759 for a <6# rifle.

MSRP on a Mossberg Patriot Synthetic Cerakote is $454 for a
My cousin in AK bought one of these for his wife and it is a really great carrying and shooting rifle, I have borrowed it hunting and I can’t say enough good things about Mossberg.

The only thing more obnoxious than “Tikka fanboys” is you popping up on every thread saying they aren’t that great. Not sure if you’re just trying to justify a purchase you made or if you think it’s “cool” to go against what’s popular. The number of posts you alone have downplaying Tikkas probably rivals all the post that are by truly Tikka homers.

Every time I see you say Tikkas are ugly I have to scratch my head. IMO the T3x looks identical to the mossberg you posted. Do you have something against black synthetic stocks? I just don’t get it...

The only thing more obnoxious than “Tikka fanboys” is you popping up on every thread saying they aren’t that great. Not sure if you’re just trying to justify a purchase you made or if you think it’s “cool” to go against what’s popular. The number of posts you alone have downplaying Tikkas probably rivals all the post that are by truly Tikka homers.

Every time I see you say Tikkas are ugly I have to scratch my head. IMO the T3x looks identical to the mossberg you posted. Do you have something against black synthetic stocks? I just don’t get it...

I’m sorry if I offended you, this is a thread on American alternatives to a foreign made rifle. I’m sure your Tikka is pretty.

Last edited: