American made alternatives to the tikka ?

Wapiti1

WKR
You guys do realize that Winchesters are no longer made in the USA. They have been made in Portugal since 2013.

The Ruger Hawkeye is a good option and can be found for a comparable price. I prefer that to the American. Remington has been mentioned. The Mossberg mentioned is a pretty good option. The TC Venture isn't bad either.

If it were my money, I'd shop around and find a Ruger Hawkeye or Kimber.

Jeremy

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Sorry, there is nothing made in America that I'm aware of, that can compete with the Tikka for value and build quality. I guess that's why all my rifles lately have been Tikka or Howa.

My first rifle was a Winchester, and I'd love to say Winchester made a rifle that can compete with Tikka or Howa at the same price, but they just don't. And sadly, it's really not even close.

The most accurate American made rifle for the dollar is either Savage or Ruger American. But neither of them are as well built or elegant as the Tikka. Of the two, I chose Savage rifles.

my Winchester easily hangs with my tikka, but I hand load for it so I can really get a load for the specific rifle.

Find a local rifle builder and source the components yourself. Find a decent Remington action and go from there. You will spend twice at much but with the options out there now you can probably get it done for $1500. I have found that it is getting harder and harder to get something on a firearm fixed by a knowledgeable smith as they are going away with everyone buying from big box and sending it in for warranty for the slightest issue. If you are anywhere near Central Texas I highly recommend Tumbleweed Customs.

Low cost custom would be Remington Action with old Remington trigger.B&C or Grayboe stock. Decent barrel. Go from there.

I agree with ea‘. This is what I did. My old 700 action ($300 used rifle), then dropped in a Mcmillan Edge filled stock and I’ve got right at $1000 in it. Rebarrelled it and still under $1500 and it shoots really good.

I also have a Ruger American and can’t believe how accurate it is. I will put a Boyd’s or comparable stock on it when I get the chance.

I have a couple of Tikkas and either of these guns shoot as good as them.

I missed the price point originally...if you replace the Tikka stock you are close to Savage Ultralite, Kimber Mountain Ascent and Barrett FC price points.

Otherwise, Kimber Hunter and Savage Lightweight Hunter are similar price point as Tikka T3X.

Kimber Montana is in between those two price points and well worth the “upgrade”.

I agree. I have a couple of Tikkas in factory stocks. They shoot great but i Plan to upgrade the stocks. I just picked up my first Kimber Montana and I think it’s my new favorite rifle. Mine is in 7mm-08 and so far it is shooting around a half inch with factory ammo. By the time I buy a stock for my Tikka, I’m into the same money I spent for the Montana.

Used Remington 700 BDL in good condition. Beautiful. Functional. In your price range. American made by a company born in the USA. Some issues with newer guns, but slightly used 90s rifles are excellent quality and value, and available. Heavier than the Tikka, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, depending on your hunting conditions and caliber.

Barrett Fieldcraft is, as stated, a fantastic rifle that is ready out of the box. I have both.

Reactions: FLS

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know if there is much truth to this, but a couple years ago I was rifle shopping and had heard something about the Remington factory being under new management and they wanted to re-focus on quality. I bought a Model Seven and honesty the fit and finish was not bad. I had a free Cerakote job that I won at a Sniper Competition, so I sent it off to have that done. Even in the factory stock I was getting about 1 MOA groups with Federal GMM. That’s using a 4x scope. I just got a bell and Carlson stock, and I would imagine with a good stock and good glass, it is probably capable of under 1MOA groups. It’s light enough and accurate enough for my needs, and I like the feel of a Remington, and it looks good.

I really thought about a Tikka, but several things turned me off when I looked at them. No doubt they are a good value and have a reputation for excellent accuracy though.

EastMT

WKR
How much did your Winchester cost, and how much does it weigh compared to the Tikka?

I don’t normally like CRF, 3 positions safety rifles, Rem based action fan. I bought a Win EWSS, oh my, she’s a beaut! It’s the smoothest CRF I’ve felt.

I kinda want a few more. I’ve seen them as low as $800, but mine wasn’t near that. It had an Alaska delivery charge of about $500 hahaha. I think it was 6.5 lbs, but it’s a sweet rifle.

Be even better with push feed and one click safety but I’ll stop whining now.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I don’t normally like CRF, 3 positions safety rifles, Rem based action fan. I bought a Win EWSS, oh my, she’s a beaut! It’s the smoothest CRF I’ve felt.

I kinda want a few more. I’ve seen them as low as $800, but mine wasn’t near that. It had an Alaska delivery charge of about $500 hahaha. I think it was 6.5 lbs, but it’s a sweet rifle.

Be even better with push feed and one click safety but I’ll stop whining now.

my EWSS is a 30-06, it’s a great rifle, probably my all around favorite and it’s insanely accurate and easy to shoot.

This is just my humble opinion, Tikkas are ugly and feel “cheap”. Tikka fanboys are obnoxious...

MSRP on a Tikka T3x SuperLight is $929 for a 6# rifle.

MSRP on a Kimber Hunter is $973 for a <6# rifle.

MSRP on a Christensen Arms Mesa is $1295 for a >6# rifle.

MSRP on a Barret Fieldcraft is $1810 for <6# rifle.

MSRP on a Winchester Extreme Weather SS is $1399 for a >6# rifle.

MSRP on a Savage 110 Ultralite is $1499 for a <6# rifle.
Proof carbon barrel and threaded...

MSRP on a Savage 110 Lightweight Storm is $759 for a <6# rifle.

MSRP on a Mossberg Patriot Synthetic Cerakote is $454 for a
My cousin in AK bought one of these for his wife and it is a really great carrying and shooting rifle, I have borrowed it hunting and I can’t say enough good things about Mossberg.

No fanboy here, I’ve got remmys, CZ, browning, desert tech, and tikka bolt guns. I don’t buy that tikkas are any more accurate than most of the bolt guns out there today but they function smoothly and have good triggers. My tikka action is significantly smoother and feeds better than my $3800 custom on a PTG m700 action and my $2100 seekins havak too. It has a better trigger than anything I’ve shot without an aftermarket trigger.

It doesn’t rust if I look at it wrong like some remingtons I own. It probably won’t have an ejection failure like countless savages either.

No fanboy here, I’ve got remmys, CZ, browning, desert tech, and tikka bolt guns. I don’t buy that tikkas are any more accurate than most of the bolt guns out there today but they function smoothly and have good triggers. My tikka action is significantly smoother and feeds better than my $3800 custom on a PTG m700 action and my $2100 seekins havak too. It has a better trigger than anything I’ve shot without an aftermarket trigger.

It doesn’t rust if I look at it wrong like some remingtons I own. It probably won’t have an ejection failure like countless savages either.

I know the Fins make a decent rifle, but the OP is literally looking for an American made alternative to a Tikka.
I know people in other countries hunt, but you won’t find hunting ingrained in any culture like it is here. Since we already outsource so much, why our rifles? There are plenty of great American made rifles, no need to sen US dollars to a foreign country.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I know the Fins make a decent rifle, but the OP is literally looking for an American made alternative to a Tikka.
I know people in other countries hunt, but you won’t find hunting ingrained in any culture like it is here. Since we already outsource so much, why our rifles? There are plenty of great American made rifles, no need to sen US dollars to a foreign country.

Name one American made rifle that does what T3x’s do functionally and performance wise across the board.