An Alaska Dall Sheep Adventure - 2019

After being back for a couple of weeks and getting a chance to get caught up, I decided that I owed it to everyone here to post a story of my recent hunt.

Several of you were pivotal in helping me research and pick an outfitter to book a childhood dream sheep hunt with. For those of you that contributed I thank you for your time and advice, you know who you are.

As posted in a previous thread I had decided to book in 2022 with Dave Morris. I was ecstatic to have a hunt on the books though the wait was far into the future. So you can imagine my surprise when I was contacted by Aaron of Alaska Outfitters Unlimited about being in Alaska to sheep hunt in 4 short weeks due to a cancellation opening. After talking it over with my wife, Dave (top notch class act), and my boss (in that order :) ) it was decided that I would be leaving for Alaska in a month.

After several discussions with my guide (thanks for all your patience), some short term sheep shape prep and gear mind games I was off to Fairbanks on Aug 16. After a tour of the town, visit to the North Pole and a last supper of steak and local brews it was time to organize gear for the morning flight to the field.

Aug 17- Awoke early, full of anticipation and headed to the hangar to beat any rush. There I met 2 of the other sheep hunters and their companion hunters. Spirits were high until noon when we were told the weather was too bad to fly in so we would have to repeat and try again tomorrow. You could feel the deflation of hopes as we were already counting the days we would have to successfully hunt. The group made the most of it and we had fun swapping stories and resting up. I also learned that one companion would not be taking a caribou which opened one up to be taken in the concession. Texting the inReach the audible was called and I scrambled to pick up a caribou tag that night. Sometimes things just do happen for a reason!

Aug 18- Same routine as the day prior. However at 9:00am we loaded up and were told we would be flying today! The buzz was evident and we loaded up for the long flight to the north slope. I arrived on the strip after flying over hundreds of caribou and a big grey wolf. Spirits were high as I met Steve, my guide, and he pointed out 6 rams on the sidehill above camp. We decided to organize backpacks, do some glassing, and rest up as we would hit it hard starting the next day. I ended up seeing one more ram way off in the distance and even got some fishing in for the dolly varden that had begun to run. Not swinging a fly for these would have been a sin.

To be continued...
52a80ef3be10a18f143a8a4c04bea48c.jpg
a1a7679202b87a64340dfbaf1dbae011.jpg
a6283dcd0ccf4d4321d835077c67a37d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
L
Aug 19- Off we go up the drainage. We opted to work up the bottom and look for a double broomer that was seen on the first hunt. At 4 miles up the drainage Steve decided we would make camp and watch 2-3 cuts for the evening and make a game plan from there. We ended up seeing sub legal rams in all three spots but no sign of the double broomer. Also saw some smoker caribou, but I wouldn't be distracted until I had a sheep on the ground. As it got late, some weather rolled down the drainage and the snow began.

Aug 20- Awoke to a couple inches of snow and a low ceiling. For those experienced sheep hunters this is not good. I won't bore you with details about the mental game for a lower 48er stuck in a one man tent. Weather broke a little for dinner and we glassed a grizzly a 1/4 mile away. My first grizz sighting so semi salvaged the day.
ee3de815df15df3f89f04c45d195e1d4.jpg
34dc23fc933d8f20a4b334a4b3e96df7.jpg

OP
L
Aug 21- Woke up to a dusting of snow but clouds seemed higher and moving out. I had enough of staring at the yellow ceiling of my atko so I made breakfast outside of the tent. We were able to glass between cloud cover and it was then I realized how much tougher this hunt just got. Good luck seeing a white sheep on a white background from the longer distances we were glassing. Shoot, I barely picked up two caribou bulls in one drainage. Steve wanted to be sure weather broke before moving. At about 11am it was clearing up and we decided we would break camp and hunt a closer drainage. Steve hunted the lower part on his first hunt and had seen rams further up drainage so that is what we would be looking for.

Noon we began the trek up the drainage and over a pass. As we reached the pass we jumped the two caribou bulls and I decided to pass as this was a sheep hunt first and foremost. We dropped to a bench and found ourselves a nice spot to take a load of and glass the surrounding peaks. It didn't take long for Steve to glass some rams up 2.5 miles away. Looking through the spotter revealed one that appeared to be legal, broomed on one side and full curl on the other. It was decided that since it was getting late we would maintain our vantage point and make camp there for the night. We would watch the rams until dark and plan to get after them in the morning.

While sitting there, Steve had a hankering for checking some slot drainages behind us, plus we needed water. It was decided I'd take the rifle and Steve would carry the bare minimum. The walk would only be an easy half mile from spike camp at most. Checking side drainages as we went we saw nothing, but found water. I could tell Steve was perplexed and really had a gut feeling some sheep were there somewhere. After filling up with water, we made our way back to spike camp. We had rams to bed for the night.

Call it intuition, fate, or pure luck; as we came upon the final slot canyon I heard Steve whisper, "rams!". We had just checked that canyon 45 min earlier so I looked high on the mountain. I finally picked them up at 200 yards on a small cliff band looking down at us. One quick look revealed the back ram was easily full curl and Steve told me to set up and take him. I found the ram in the scope, verifying I was indeed looking at the back one, found my spot behind the shoulder, and squeezed off the shot. We figure from the time we saw them to the time a bullet was on its way was about 30 seconds. However, everything happened in slow motion as it often does in the moment of truth. The shot flew true and my hunt for the white sheep was complete, I had just harvested my Dall ram!!!

Some quick photos, getting creative due to a peeled back lower lip from a small tumble we decided to prop the sheep to cool and commence cutting in the morning. I didn't sleep a wink that night as I was ecstatic and humbled by Alaska.

Here is what you guys have been waiting for, sheep pics!!!
65c52660096e512aac10b3677e144e46.jpg
18fd237478467ed0e3e6396946d2d379.jpg
76dd2c66df1b289e7510d5c19b40b97a.jpg
831815d53e3784b63d29d70feefdeb8b.jpg

Last edited:
OP
L
Aug 22- Back up the mountain to fully break down the sheep and take in more of Alaska. The day was spent meticulously taking care of meat and getting it back to spike camp. We took it slow so I could savor the moment and I don't regret it one bit. We decided to stay another night at that camp and rest up for a long pack back to the strip the next day.

Aug 23- Backpacks loaded with sheep by 10:00am and we are heading toward the strip. Knowing it's going to be a long day with heavy packs we take it slow. We get to the bottom and up drainage Steve spots a big bear high on the mountain. Cool sight to see for this lower 48er. We aren't another 200 yards further when I see some caribou in a high bowl. The plan was to hunt bou closer to the strip once the sheep was back, well one look at these bulls and that plan changed in a hurry. We hustled to get to the base of the mountain where we dropped our heavy packs. I got the rifle and we hustled to set up as these bulls decided they should start moving again. I confirmed the range and clicked the dope for 540 when the best bull of the bunch sperated low and stopped broadside for another look below. I settled in and the bullet was on its way. Again flying true I had a caribou bull that I thought I could only dream of! This trip was the adventure of a lifetime!!!

c13a377a48ce5b6de28355fcab82e0c2.jpg
d5d6854aa4e21708ce2b929135f6cb70.jpg
30bbb1ed9e8b4070d97c25a5a1b5be8d.jpg

OP
L
Aug 24- A day spent packing meat and camp. Those of you that mountain hunt know what this feels like. Obviously we walked like 40 miles with 120lb packs the whole way, I mean come-on this is a forum story right. In all reality I logged 14 miles most under an 80ish lb pack and the day started at 10am and commenced at 1:30am with everything back at the strip. I was slow but we got it done, Alaska does not hand out participation trophies here. Smile on my face the whole way!!!
d795edabc13212d4568944ac430ad6ef.jpg
baecb9afc0fa83a480262f3bd6073596.jpg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like it all came together for you. Awesome congratulations

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
L
Aug 25- Extraction day. With weather moving in we decided to take advantage of the window and get out. Did I mention I don't do well waiting out weather in a 1 man tent?!?! After breaking down camp I got some fishing in and put a cherry on top with big dollies and char in numbers where I stopped counting after 50.

Flight out was brutal, nasty headwind and poor Steve lost enough lunches on that flight to last a lifetime. The headwind and chop was bad, 70mph in a plane that does 130mph pretty much sums it up. Thank God for bada$$ pilots we got home safe.

I am beyond grateful for the success I experienced and the support I had along the way. This hunt was a financial stretch but a supportive wife and family allowed us to make the sacrifices necessary to make this a reality while I was young enough to physically enjoy it. Let's just say, celebrating 29 on your first day in the field on a sheep hunt glassing rams and catching dollies did not suck!

Now to start saving so I can do it again, safe to say I've been bit, sheep are in my mind the Pinnacle of adventure mountain hunting!

c1b46d730ea1c9c60b2676c61a4e5cd9.jpg
b8f4a32df9aa463598685643740f1782.jpg
cde14d267c458adf58619b1b1e30c54a.jpg
a0e12e4e72783bd2ba98bab4db68104c.jpg
536c5b5719840b8b6145e261fd7e0c51.jpg

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congrats man, you got the full experience! Steve lived up to his reputation for sure.

Great hunt, glad to hear it went well for ya!!! That's a helluva nice bull you caught up with.