An Alaska Dall Sheep Adventure - 2019

OP
L
Thanks everyone, I hesitated to post this because I embarked on this adventure for nobody but myself. It was purely a challenge for me of my abilities with Alaska. I do am not the instafamous kind of hunter. But I came around as I know how much I enjoy the recounting of hunts from others.

I plan to post a gear list and do a quick post on what worked and what didn't. Along with what I would change if I did it all over again.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Along with what I would change if I did it all over again.

I’m willing to bet this should read “when I do it all over again”

Great write up. Thanks so much for deciding to share. My 1st sheep hunt is 11 months away and it’s stories like this that I crave. Congratulations on great animals and even better memories.

I too appreciate and enjoy you telling your story. My Alaskan sheep hunt is not for 1 year, 11 months, ?? days..hours...min.... :cautious:

Looking forward to the gear list. Wondering what gun and its weight that is... Looks pretty heavy.

Holy Wa!! What a great story. Not only did you have success on 2 of North Americas finest, you managed to slap a couple of full bloom char!! Those colors are incredible. That would be a true wallhanger if you could replicate those colors. Thanks for sharing the account with all of us!

daddie63

WKR
Awesome story telling and congrats again. I’m looking forward to the gear list too when you get around to it.

keller

WKR
Wow!! What an adventure thanks for sharing.two awesome critters will make some nice mounts.congrats on doing it while your young.too many of us wait too long and lose out

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
As a fellow youngish hunter (turning 30 in October), I am saving my pennies for a hunt like yours in my future. Congratulations on your success and amazing adventure.

Cant complain though, Ill be chamois hunting for my 30th in the high alpine of Austria when I head overseas for my sisters wedding.

Awesome thanks for the motivation to get me through the next 46 weeks 6 days till my first sheep hunt. But who's counting. Can't wait. Congratulations

OP
L
Now for those of you looking for a gear list. I will focus on what was in my pack and on me for the backpacking portion of this trip. I flew in some gear such as a water filter, that in order to save weight and avoid duplication was left on the strip. I'll try and note those items in the "kit" as well but feel free to ask questions.

Rifle: Custom S3 Gunsmith 6.5 PRC with a SIG Whiskey 5 3-15x44mm and a Harris bipod
Ammo: Hornady 147gr ELDM factory rounds
Sidearm: Glock 9mm with Buffalo Bore 147gr
Rangefinder: SIG 2400ABS

Pack: Kifaru Duplex Lite Frame and Cavern Bag + Sherman Pocket
Trekking Poles: Black Diamond

Sleep System: Marmot Plasma 15 + ThermaRest Neo Air + Kestrel Bivy + REI inflatable travel pillow
*I was offered and used Steve's extra Thermarest RidgeRest foam pad, clutch piece of gear used for extra comfort at night, a dry seat, a dry place to stand and get dressed in the morning, etc
Tent: Hilleberg Atko
Shelter: Kifaru Supertarp

Clothing:
Rain Gear: FL SEAK Jacket and Pant (*Listen to TundraTalk on goretex raingear and make a personal decision here on weight vs full waterproof pvc HH)
Insulation: Kifaru Lost Park Parka and First Lite Uncompahgre puffy pant
Base Layer: First Lite llano short sleeve (x1), FL Llano long sleeve (x2), Ice Breaker 210 long underwear (x2)
Outerlayer: FL Corrugate Pants (x1), FL Kalamath (x1), Sitka Mountain Jacket (x1)
Other: FL neck gaiter, talus gloves, Darn Tough socks (x5), Kuiu Gaiters
Boots: Crispi Colorado
Waders: Simms G3 chest waders/G3 wader boots (*packed several miles heavy and light in these, the braided river bottom left no option but I do hear this is rare for sheep hunts in other areas)
Camp shoe: Crocs

Stove: MSR Windburner (Steve carried this, I carried extra fuel)
Spoon: Titanium long handle
Water Purification: Aquamira
Water bottle: Nalgene + 2L Platypus

Food:
Breakfast: Off Grid Oatmeal/Peak Refuel Breakfast Skillet
Lunch: Cliff Shot Blocks (x2)/Justine's Peanut Butter (x2)/Honey Stinger Waffles (x2)
Dinner: Peak Refuel
Suppleent: Wilderness Athlete Vitamin supplement
~3500 calories and 1lb/day

Optics:
Swarovski EL12x50
Swarovski STX 95mm + 1.7x extender
Outdoorsmans medium tripod (Steve carried the tripod and spotter)

Electronics:
Google Pixel + OnX maps
Iridium Satellite Phone
Anker Power Bank

Kill Kit:
TAG Bags BOMB bags + 2 large for capes
Havalon
Contactor bags (x3)

*Everything was kept in Sea to Summit Dry Bags, I had 3 or 4 of different colors and sizes

Pack weight: 62lbs including rifle and sidearm + 10 days of food

Some additional notes:

I was ok with a down sleeping bag because I had a double walled Hille and a bivy for good measure. I also told myself worst case scenario I could use my synthetic puffy layers to dry out or as a backup. I, at the recommendation of Steve, always kept the thermarest RidgeRunner pad and a dry bag with my Kifaru LPP and puffy pants and the super tarp in my backpack. This could be a bivy camp if we made a late move on rams or got caught on the mountain. I will be employing this tactic on my lower 48 stuff now as well. I also carried a small first aid kit (Steve had a much larger kit) and some personal toiletries.

Also, I worked it out to take my own food since Mountain House does not work for me and my gut. This is a valid conversation to have with your outfitter. Jason Harriston talks about it in the Kuiu seminar (segments can be found on YouTube) and I saw first hand how food can make and break a hunt. Your body needs fuel so I highly recommend getting meals and taking food that works for you. Just be mindful of the weight as ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain up there.

Hopefully this helps. For anyone that wants a complete excel file of the gear I flew in with, shoot me your email via PM and I will get it over to you.

Tell me about the Anker Power bank. I'm guessing you took this along already charged up?
Was this enough to recharge everything for the whole trip? or did you have to recharge it some way?

Been looking for what method I'll use to charge my electronics while on my hunt.

OP
L
I charged the Anker night before we flew. It is good for 4-5 phone charges and I had to keep my Sat phone plugged into it when calling out as my Sat phone battery wouldn't hold a charge.

Its really all a personal decision as they aren't exactly lite. With cloud cover and weather I wouldn't rely on a goal zero or solar charger. Take your power with you stored in a power bank.

I charged the Anker night before we flew. It is good for 4-5 phone charges and I had to keep my Sat phone plugged into it when calling out as my Sat phone battery wouldn't hold a charge.

Its really all a personal decision as they aren't exactly lite. With cloud cover and weather I wouldn't rely on a goal zero or solar charger. Take your power with you stored in a power bank.

So did you only take one of the Anker's???

daddie63

WKR
That’s a great list of gear thank you. I listened to the podcast and Steve mentioned you’re probably the best glassing client he had. That’s pretty cool.
Thanks for the detailed list