And.... another hunting clothes brand

Poser

WKR
What’s our running count now?

5025d1f8dd892783a0a27bb76161a928.jpg

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be honest I tossed around the numbers awhile back on doing my own brand. Decided against it bc it’s not my expertise but when your manufacturing overseas and then selling for a couple hundred % markup it becomes intriguing.

I’m not gonna name names but I’ve bought stuff from AliExpress and alibaba that had high end names on it.

edit: I see this one says made in the USA. Prices little crazy though

Last edited:

big44a4

WKR
Now if I could just find one that makes pants long enough, that fit normal, in the material I want them in.

Yup normal fitting pants would be sweet. Nothing says cool like a multi purpose pant for the mountains and the club. Smh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
I for one would like you to name names. Not for the sake of being a smartass or to totally get the thread off topic, I’m genuinely curious.

Almost every hunting brand that isn’t made in the USA will pop up on there from time to time, Kuiu made a big stink like 2 years ago about the supposed “fakes”. There was a thread on here about an eBay seller that got shutdown and everyone who bought reported it looked felt and was labeled correctly.

sitex
R*cky

almost all the merino base layers companies

and I don’t feel bad in the least about buying direct from the manufactures. If your gonna ship jobs overseas And then still charge prices like your paying American labor you deserve what you get.

BluMtn

WKR
Well I am going to go out on a limb and guess that since there are no tall pant sizes the inseam is probably around 32"-34".

Thanks for the heads up on this! I just looked at their website. 100% made and sourced in the USA, I’m in. Yes the stuff is expensive,but so is all the other “Technical gear” camo that’s made overseas in the name of a greater profit margin by an American company. If this stuff fits me right I’ll have some used Chinese Sitka in the classifieds. Hats off to Forloh I say and hope the other companies do the same.

Thanks for the heads up on this! I just looked at their website. 100% made and sourced in the USA, I’m in. Yes the stuff is expensive,but so is all the other “Technical gear” camo that’s made overseas in the name of a greater profit margin by an American company. If this stuff fits me right I’ll have some used Chinese Sitka in the classifieds. Hats off to Forloh I say and hope the other companies do the same.

There’s an interesting economic factor at play here. If Sitka makes a ton more product even overseas... and they sell to retailers who employ large numbers of people making a decent wage... not to mention since they’re not an oil and gas company they probably actually pay taxes on profits... doesn’t a company like Sitka contribute more to the US economy?

Interesting points. If a company like Sitka made and sourced their products here wouldn’t they contribute even more to the economy?

Frankly I think not. My $240 jacket would be 5-600 likely. That would drastically decrease the volume of sales. So they would have to consider pivoting today direct sales which in theory eliminates jobs.

I think the difference is, large scale imported companies create secondary economies. Small direct niche companies do not necessarily do that.

I would LOVE to spend a day in the financials of a company like forloh. How much do they pay the folks sewing the garments? What is the owners take home margin? Fascinating. Something I think about a lot as I work for a large retailer who directly puts approx 13mil a year into salaries in each community.

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
The difference imo is one of what margins the ceo and owner are ok with. The numbers work out as a niche technical hunting clothing supplier to sell low volume at prices like forloh has for the ceo and owner to make low 6 figures. But man if you outsource overseas then you can make 7 figures.

watch shark tank. The sharks flip shit if the product is made in the USA and getting double digit margin. 1st question they ask is why so low?

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
There’s an interesting economic factor at play here. If Sitka makes a ton more product even overseas... and they sell to retailers who employ large numbers of people making a decent wage... not to mention since they’re not an oil and gas company they probably actually pay taxes on profits... doesn’t a company like Sitka contribute more to the US economy?

One might argue that if the companies importing weren’t undercutting. Those making product here then the companies making product here would do more business and grow larger, thus employing more people.

I’d bet a paycheck Sitka makes a higher profit margin than forloh. All on the backs of underpaid labor in a communist country.

Sitka jetstream Jacket $350
Forloh soft shell jacket $470

sitka apex pant $230
Forloh stretch pant $230

sitka core lw hoody $120
Forloh half zip $160

just my best guess at a equal comparison. Imo Forloh isn’t too far off especially considering they’re a brand new company. I’m sure Sitka buys in a much larger bulk of materials lowering their production cost that much further And raising their profit margin that much higher. so I’ll give my money to Forloh because the bigger they get the more Americans they can employ. And zero dollars go to a communist country.

You guys make valid arguments too. It’s really a complex structure. I’d love to see the US develop the capacity to execute textiles manufacturing as well as some of the Asian countries. Perhaps in the next few decades we will.