Ankle Weights' Weight?

My wife bought me 10#ers. My plan is to just wear daily to make me stronger for hiking with heavy boots. I think 10# is too much but I haven't tried them yet. Does anyone wear these for this purpose? If so, what weight do you use?

Sent from my PRC-77 using Tapatalk

i have, i use 5#,i use them doing abs.i don't think i would use them for just walking though

Poser

WKR
There may be some psychological merit to your feet feeling lighter after hiking with ankle weights, but weighting your feet that way aren't going to make you a "stronger" hiker. The muscle groups that make you a stronger hiker are the ability to apply force which unnecessarily heavy feet doesn't address. That just makes you better at picking up unnecessarily heavy feet. On one hand, it may train you to walk faster, but realistically, you'll probably only feel like you are walking faster since you spent so much time walking slower with ankle weights. On the other hand, it may in fact create an unnatural and terribly inefficient gate. You ever seen Tennessee Walking Horses do a "big lick" strut? They walk that way because they were trained with weighted feet.

In short, unless you are training to compete in an ankle weight race, probably ditch them for a heavy pack.

OP
Brandon Pattison
I've read nothing good about them. I trip over stuff when I get tired. Maybe some one or two pounders is what I need.

Sent from my PRC-77 using Tapatalk