Another MOA vs Mil thread

I think it depends on how far you shoot. I cap my hunting at 400 yds and back east I rarely see more than 200. Both work just fine for those distances, though I have a preference for Mils because I learned it in the army.

if you are starting from scratch, pick one, learn it and practice It. Try to get all your scopes to use one or the other. You will do just fine.

Mike 338

WKR
I like mils but because so many manufacturers only offer moa or are out of stock of mils, you end up buying both and bouncing back and forth. For simplicity's sake, I'd say go moa. I think a day should come where they just make a decision, one or the other, and stick with it. Like all cars driven in the US have the steering wheel on the left. Mils/metric, by all counts, make so much more sense. I remember when every mechanic in America had a cow when the vehicles they were forced to work on, started showing up in metric. Endless bellyaching... When they realized whining wasn't going to change anything, they bought their metric tools and in a couple of days, they settled in and found something else to complain about. I guess after using it for a while, they had to admit that 5 is bigger than 4 and that required almost no thought whatsoever compared to fractions.

Anyway... MOA (because the dark ages weren't so bad).

grizz19

Lil-Rokslider
Man I just made the switch to mils. The base 10 system just made sense to me. I’ve always shot minutes and know it but I think once I get it figured out, in the long run I’ll like mils better

Why would two different units of angular measurement depend on how far you shoot?
How much correction / dialing are you going to do for a 200 yd shot vs a 1200 yd shot?

If he is shooting a lot of long range, his preference for mils might matter. If it’s a lot of short and mid distance, it probably matters less.

atmat

WKR
How much correction / dialing are you going to do for a 200 yd shot vs a 1200 yd shot?

If he is shooting a lot of long range, his preference for mils might matter. If it’s a lot of short and mid distance, it probably matters less.
Even for zeroing a rifle or spotting misses, it matters which angular unit you’re using.

But sure, a “set it and forget it” <200 yard scope will have to think about it less.

Even for zeroing a rifle or spotting misses, it matters which angular unit you’re using.

But sure, a “set it and forget it” <200 yard scope will have to think about it less.
Hmmmm.

I guess I am saying, unless you are taking a lot of long shots, on targets or animals, you probably aren’t gonna be doing a lot of dialing and math anyway.

regardless, I hold the view that both MOA and Mils can and do work for long shooting, but some people prefer one over the other. I think the OP should pick one one, learn it, practice it and get all his scopes on that system.

atmat

WKR
Hmmmm.

I guess I am saying, unless you are taking a lot of long shots, on targets or animals, you probably aren’t gonna be doing a lot of dialing and math anyway.

regardless, I hold the view that both MOA and Mils can and do work for long shooting, but some people prefer one over the other. I think the OP should pick one one, learn it, practice it and get all his scopes on that system.
Got it, totally agree!

What?????

If zeroing a scope what’s easier? Mils or moa?

If spotting misses what’s easier to spot with? Mils or moa?

atmat

WKR
What?????

If zeroing a scope what’s easier? Mils or moa?

If spotting misses what’s easier to spot with? Mils or moa?
There’s functionally no difference. I was trying to say that you still need to know a unit system, even if you don’t expect to dial much (as the prior comment indicated). I might not have been clear — my bad.

Absolutely. Sorry I’ve been at the ranch working cows all day. I’ll be free most of the day tomorrow
Just making the point that Form taught a half dozen of us in 88 seconds.
Yes, he timed it.
I figure since you're from Cali it might take a little longer.

( Just kidding about the Cali thing. Not kidding about the 88 seconds)

grizz19

Lil-Rokslider
Just making the point that Form taught a half dozen of us in 88 seconds.
Yes, he timed it.
I figure since you're from Cali it might take a little longer.

( Just kidding about the Cali thing. Not kidding about the 88 seconds)
😆😆 no that’s a fair assumption. I’ve also been kicked by a few cows and wrecked a couple 4 wheelers, pretty sure it’s caused my IQ to suffer a bit…

85zero17

FNG
As a spotter I find it easier and more intuitive to call a miss in feet or inches. Then as a shooter making the correction in minutes is simple…just more intuitive if you have spent any amount of times working in the trades or fabrication.

“1ft high / 2ft right”

Easy Math from there…

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
some sfp moa scopes with adjustable mag can be used in mils, or .double mils, just to keep things simple, or confusing. jk. (this can be useful for extreme holdover. )