Another which caliber question... or chuck it all in?

You've got the 6.5 and the .30cal..... get the .280ai and fill the 'in between'. I'm sure some 162gr or 168s will punch the ticket!

Muttly

WKR
Sorta similar boat, 'cept I hafta check with the Missus on age, she says I,m 47, keep thinking I,m 48..
Over the last year, found myself pondering a LOT of the points brought up by 16Bore. Little easier to round up more toys, but time is in short supply, and I,'ve hit the golden age where physical realities creep in, hills get steeper, guns get heavier, and it seems to take twice as long to heal up from whatever..

Acquired a long bow affliction a couple years ago, spend a LOT of time messing with them, and a bit with recurves.

Guns, over the last couple years, thinned the herd a little, put the money into gear, don't regret any of those. All that being said, keep coming back around to the 30-06 MA. I like the feel, I like the weight, as a bigger hammer, it fits the bill for 98% of what I,m likely to be doing. Anything to 300, it,'ll do the trick. Anything 300 to 600, reticle or dial..
If it was me, I,d sell off the Browning, get the 30 cal Kimber that best meets the job requirements.
300 Win or 30-06,.ammo anywhere, which is kinda nice if you're running low on time to reload.

16Bore

WKR
Sure didn't mean to be a downer, but a lot of things go full circle. Sometimes you have to look at reality. I remember looking at a gazetteer of where I live and was one the phone with my brother discussing elk hunting near his place in Washington. It occurred to me that there was probably more to do on those two pages of map than I'd ever get accomplished. Granted they weren't 10 day goat hunts in Alaska, but they were "something".

Now hats off to the guys pulling off the big trips. Is it in the cards in my deck? Not likely, but it's enviable. Certainly you need to have goals and dreams and pursue them. But I see and talk a lot of "elk one day" types that get all gunned and geared up to finish the season with a 50 yard doe after squeaking out 3 days of hunting in an already complicated lifestyle and live in disappointment.

But rock on fellas. It's good stuff to read about. 16 Bore is on top of the (my) mountain, grinning ear to ear...

FURMAN

WKR
How far are you rifle shots on game going to be? I would bet less than 300-400yds. The rifle you have will already do the job. Get the bow, add the ability to hunt new seasons, and get out and enjoy the hunt.