Any engine builders out there?

I am gonna put a long block in my pickup that I am taking out of another pickup and was thinking about putting a little bigger cam in.
Engine is a 5.7 hemi going into a 2500 and I have a 30 ft camper that I think is around 8k lbs. Pickup pulls just fine with the stock engine but was looking to have a little fun with it too. Don't wanna send the pcm in for tuning or add a tuner just looking to get a little more out of the pickup. Looking at mmx for the cam but it looks like they all will require a tune. Do all cam upgrades require a pcm tune?

Wapiti1

WKR
A larger cam won't get you much without any ECU tuning. The ECU will effectively nullify any potential gains. It looks at the emissions and other engine functions and forces them to conform to it's programming. So it will adjust the spark timing, and fuel delivery to get back to factory spec.

So, yes, they have to be done at the same time to realize the gains.

Jeremy

OP
skyler_2010
Yep and no lift. Everything is stock I just have 290k on my engine and it has a pretty busy lower end knock and the engine I'm putting in has a bad cam at 40k but everything else is good so I'm gonna put a cam in it and call it good

Get a tuner or get the ECM tuned if you expect to recognize the gains. Investigate exhaust mods to go along with the cam and new tune for the most bang for the buck. I bought a 2011, 5.0 Ford F150, 5 years ago, with some exhaust mods, along with a tune downloaded onto the ECM and, man that thing will leave the planet. Gets 18-19 mpg too. I wish I could tell you exactly what it was done. But, I'm an old school engine guy. All I know is it was the last pickup on the lot I drove. After driving it, all the other Fords, Dodge's, and Chevrolet pickups wasn't even a consideration. Salesman said it was a truck that Ford no longer honored the warranty on due to those mods. I went ahead and bought it with 48,000 miles on it. It now has 160,000 miles on it and running like a clock. Knock on wood.

My son bought a super charged Ford Raptor with 20000 miles on it two months ago. He was so proud of it. We lined them up just for fun, and I out run him by so much in a quarter mile I thought he was just playing around initially. It wasn't even close. It pulls well too. I just pulled 4 tons of house coal with it for 65 miles through the mountains here. I wouldn't recommend that everyday for a 1/2 ton truck but pulling power was zero trouble.

Good luck and God Bless

OP
skyler_2010
Get a tuner or get the ECM tuned if you expect to recognize the gains. Investigate exhaust mods to go along with the cam and new tune for the most bang for the buck. I bought a 2011, 5.0 Ford F150, 5 years ago, with some exhaust mods, along with a tune downloaded onto the ECM and, man that thing will leave the planet. Gets 18-19 mpg too. I wish I could tell you exactly what it was done. But, I'm an old school engine guy. All I know is it was the last pickup on the lot I drove. After driving it, all the other Fords, Dodge's, and Chevrolet pickups wasn't even a consideration. Salesman said it was a truck that Ford no longer honored the warranty on due to those mods. I went ahead and bought it with 48,000 miles on it. It now has 160,000 miles on it and running like a clock. Knock on wood.

My son bought a super charged Ford Raptor with 20000 miles on it two months ago. He was so proud of it. We lined them up just for fun, and I out run him by so much in a quarter mile I thought he was just playing around initially. It wasn't even close. It pulls well too. I just pulled 4 tons of house coal with it for 65 miles through the mountains here. I wouldn't recommend that everyday for a 1/2 ton truck but pulling power was zero trouble.

Good luck and God Bless
Good to hear. I just heard back from mmx on it and they said they can do the tune remotely thru email. As of right now I am going to wait on the exhaust but I'm sure it won't be long and I'll be putting exhaust upgrades and ported heads on.

Brendan

WKR
Good to hear. I just heard back from mmx on it and they said they can do the tune remotely thru email. As of right now I am going to wait on the exhaust but I'm sure it won't be long and I'll be putting exhaust upgrades and ported heads on.
Don't do it piecemeal. The tune changes with every modification you make that affects airflow.

Also, start tuning and upgrading, and you're going to find the weakest link on your truck fast. Riskier on an older engine / vehicle without a lot of preventative maintenence.

OP
skyler_2010
Full disclosure I am a Chrysler tech and this engine being taken out is a warranty engine that I'm gonna buy the core on. I do agree that I will find a weak link but am ok with it. The only reason I'm gonna piece it is because I cannot afford everything all at once