Any HVAC techs in the house?

Finch

WKR
So I bought an Amazon smart t-stat on prime day hoping to have more control over our heatpump while away. I went thru the tutorial to see if my heat pump was compatible or not. According to that, it was not but I read reviews where this wasn't always accurate.

I have a Trane XL20i heat pump. When I take the current t-stat cover off, I have wires connected to D, R, & B. When I took the cover off my air handler, I had wires connected to D, R, & B with empty slots for O, Y1, and Y2. I have plenty extra wires that are currently unused.

Will I be able to make the new Amazon t-stat work? If not, I'll return it.

20230713_183941.jpg

20230713_190927.jpg

Plenty of rolled back wires to use

20230713_191012.jpg

New t-stat
i-am-attempting-to-install-an-amazon-smart-thermostat-but-v0-hjglnk4ddza81.jpg

Last edited:
You get any answers yet? I'm not familiar with the Trane controls but it looks like your new thermostat is based off of a Honeywell t-stat. That wiring base has the terminals to control a heat pump. Did the new stat have any info as far as 2h/2c 7day program or anything similar?

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
You get any answers yet? I'm not familiar with the Trane controls but it looks like your new thermostat is based off of a Honeywell t-stat. That wiring base has the terminals to control a heat pump. Did the new stat have any info as far as 2h/2c 7day program or anything similar?

Nope, no answers yet. I've read that these Amazon T-stats are based off of Honeywell. Good eye.

Honestly, I haven't opened the box b/c I was afraid I wouldn't be able to return it. Pic is from the web. So I'm not sure about your question but can do some digging. What are you getting at with that question though? Just curious.

I'm trying to decipher what the thermostat you bought is capable of controlling. Basically how many stages of heat and cooling and does it control the B/O terminal. Do you have just a heat pump/air handler system that it is controlling?

Weldor

WKR
No expert here, but usually the the stat calls for heat or cooling. The extra stabs for aux heating strips. Like Elknut said youtube it. I found when I did mine the T-stat wires were jumbled so we had to test each one .

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
I'm trying to decipher what the thermostat you bought is capable of controlling. Basically how many stages of heat and cooling and does it control the B/O terminal. Do you have just a heat pump/air handler system that it is controlling?

Correct, just a heat pump/air handler.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
No expert here, but usually the the stat calls for heat or cooling. The extra stabs for aux heating strips. Like Elknut said youtube it. I found when I did mine the T-stat wires were jumbled so we had to test each one .

I actually tried looking on youtube but no video really covered my exact scenario. I'm pretty electrical savvy but know nothing about HVAC.

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to stay with a Trane ComfortLink thermostat. The ComfortLink is a communicating thermostat with variable signals instead of a conventional stat that has different wire circuits to change functions.

Ddubs20

FNG
Generally speaking, sticking with the original equipment is always best. If you need wifi, honeywell and other companies make wifi connection boards that interface with the original thermostat/heat pump. Just a thought / plan B option

Stalker69

WKR
You do have a communicating air handler. The wires hooked up to it won't work with that stat. A conventional system ( what your stat is for) uses r ( power),w ( heat), g (fan), c ( common), o ( reversing valve), y ( cooling). Your air handler does all that with 3 wires. Look at a Trane comfort Link ( I believe that's what they call it) stat. I believe they are wifi ( control by phone)

Last edited:
OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Thanks guys. I'll return the Amazon stat and look elsewhere. Hard to beat the $55 prime day price tag on it though. Trane products look considerably more expensive so I'll probably just keep what I have.