Any Last Minute Advice - First Time extended stay in backcountry

Shrek

WKR
Rokslide is amazing ! For me there was mostly gaps as far as knowledge of what it takes to hunt the backcountry before I found this place. There is still mostly gaps in my knowledge but I've found enough here to sketch out the picture and see whats coming mostly. Enough that I'm not concerned about just totally failing in my first attempt. I'm sure to be a fool for many situations but I think I have the knowledge and gear to recover and enjoy the experience. I bet Crumy has the time of his life and the people here are helping make it come together.

keep

Lil-Rokslider
After coming back from my '1st without a guide' backpack trip my couple of biggest tips would be
1) quit putting extra shit in your pack
2) have a plan to get out
3) quit putting extra shit in your pack
4) plan on how to get the animal out
5) quit putting extra shit in your pack
6) plan so on the way out is down and not up
7) quit putting extra shit in your pack

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Keep, did you have too much shit in the pack? Lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
After coming back from my '1st without a guide' backpack trip my couple of biggest tips would be

That is awesome.. I needed a laugh.. I am trying to get things finalized here at work and I have a high stress level at moment.. plus its raining... wth

Shrek

WKR

But all things are relative. If I don't put extra shit in my pack the first time out then I would never appreciate getting my gear dialed in :D.

Lawnboi

WKR
Looks like you have a great setup.

Wake up early, go to bed late, and have fun.

Don't forget a small amount of seasoning with that olive oil

Id personally wear the clothing that im going to hunt in on the hike in.

10 days is a long time, don't be afraid to take it easy for the first few days if your not used to the altitude. pan fried grouse or some fresh fish also seems to help!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member

That is some of the best advice I've read on this website.

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
Well after 5 days off the mountain to dry. Got to camp 2 am sat night got up and found the mule deer we had been watching but no way to get to them with bow. No elk heard bug plenty of fresh sign. Rained sat night. Rained Sunday night. Rifle opened for mule deer Monday. Rained Monday morn. Midday we got on deer. Buddy put a bullet in the the deer we had been watching ( a little back) He went to bed down . Someone else had walked in on us from below snd decided to light up his little buddy. That got them running. Spent rest if day hiking around cliffs to look for the deer. Rained that night and spent Tuesday looking. No luck. Rained hailed first 4 days and snowed last night. Headed back up tomorrow. Needed to come off for dry clothes.

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
We are having fun. Hoping that the snow and front moves out tonight and gets things going. Rifle for elk opens on Friday. The tarp held up great through all the rain hail wind and snow. I've got dry clothes now and ready to go in am

" the good idea fairy" video addresses this as well. Lol . That being said I do pack a spare small fuel canister for my jet boil stove, I like using it for a little heat under my shelter to get dressed on the mornings that are below freezing.

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
I will elaborate a but on why i asked my question.

It is always easier to talk yourself off the mountain than to stay on it. This year has, been a wet one, and will likely stay that way. Sideways rain smacking your face on a 35 degree morning is miserable. Talks lots of guys down early. Know your personal limits and go back to the tent early if you intend to survive some of the cold weather for the entire hunt.

Making it through the entire hunt may be as much of a trophy as an animal itself. The first long one is the hardest.

Before you leave take the wife/girlfriend out to dinner and have flowers delivered. Get that business done at home you are obligated to so the temptation to get off the mountain early and be at home isn't there.

Great advice that I always seem to overlook...thanks sreekers!

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
Back off mountain. I got a 5-5 elk Friday morning Just got all of it off the mountain. I am whooped but we did it. Pics to follow once I get to computer

keep

Lil-Rokslider
Keep, did you have too much shit in the pack? Lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4
God yes!!!! Lesson learned, just wish I would have learned from someone else's bloody nose

Back off mountain. I got a 5-5 elk Friday morning Just got all of it off the mountain. I am whooped but we did it. Pics to follow once I get to computer
Congrats

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
One thing I left out, I said I would share my experience with the sat phone. I used satellite phone store and they were extremely efficient and easy to deal with. I used a 9555 iridium. I only used it twice. Once to tell people we were coming off the mountain during the snow storm and when I killed my elk. (Had to tell my dad) :) Both times the phone worked great. It was small enough to pack that was not a hassle. I did take the extra battery with me as I didn't know what to expect but didn't need it. I think it is a great option for those that don't want to to purchase a phone because we will only use it 1-2 weeks a year.