Any New ideas for backpacking food/snacks?

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 100% believer in comfort foods when backpacking. If you wouldn't walk into your pantry and eat on a Thursday night after work, I wouldn't take it. That's my experience anyway. When I used to pack all the stuff people told me too I'd have a zip lock bag of food left over that I didn't eat. Each day varies on how I pack it but for day hunting I carry this. Add one Peak or top ramen for dinner if it's a overnighter.

-Old trapper jerky
-Fritos
-Bagel with cream cheese, bacon, and salami
-Ritz cracker and cheese packs
-Couple mini snickers with mini pack sour patch kids
-Homemade trail mix (add only the things I like)
-Wasabi and soy almond pack
-Dehydrated fruit (typically mangos)
-Organic fruit bars
-Tuna packs with tomato and basil wheat thins (add olive oil packet and single serve mayo to boost calories)
-Nature valley (sweet and salty)
-1 each wilderness athlete (hydrate and recover) and MT Ops Yeti single serve packs.
-Justins peanut butter with Crackers

If day I hunting from the the pickup I always drink two protein shakes (premier protein, one morning and night) and half a 36oz pedialyte.

Marble

WKR
This thread is actually more helpful than it thought. There are some great ideas for day time meals.

I do take 1-2 couple of noodles with me. If there is a day that appears to be colder and maybe rainy, I'll pack the stove during the day and make a hot meal.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

SonnyDay

WKR
Prosciutto. Never hit the trail without it. The prosciutto-wrapped cheese rolls from Costco are the bomb.

Otherwise, I add dried cherries and/or cranberries to store bought trail mix.

Seeknelk

WKR
Good , quality butter on chips after have the jerky, cheese, fruit whatever.
Used Amish butter roll mostly.
Really pads the calories.
The butter hits the spot in the hills.

S.Clancy

WKR
After mid September lots of years we usually start to have some cold/rainy/snowy days.

Costco has some instant Pho Noddle bowls. I think th brand is snap dragon. It’s only a couple hundred calories.

If it looks like we will have some weather like this before I head out in a 7-10 day backpack hunt, I usually throw 1 or 2 in my pack. After getting up we’ll before daylight, hunting in the cold/rain/snow for 5-6 hours, a warm bowl of Pho is a pretty good snack
Those things are so good. We have 3-4 boxes stashed away ready for season.....

Gutshotem

WKR
Tortilla filled with Nutella and bacon, maybe a few cheddar cheese combos and the Hawaiian pork jerky from Costco.

Also keep 2 chicken bullion cubes to throw into my jetboil. Thats a nice pick me up if weather is miserable.

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure you'll all think I'm nuts, but sacrificing a little weight and bringing an actual apple is worth it to me. To be able to eat an actual fruit when all you're eating is dehydrated or condensed foods is quite a treat. Obviously it's not ideal for backpacking in several miles, but it's also not that big of a deal for the reward when you get to eat a nice, crispy apple.
My buddy that came on my hunt last year, I swear he ate nothing but fresh apples and peanut granola bars all week, always looked like it was a stroll in the park for him.

I just snatch a squirrel from a tree to snack on while I'm walking lol.

I usually have a bumble bee tuna or chicken package with tortillas and sliced cheese so I can make a wrap.
that with a granola bar of choice makes the perfect lunch/snack for me.
I do think I need to raid some of you guys camps though lol.

Individual serving Justins almond butter packets to have with dried apples. Chocolate hazelnut flavor is my favorite.

Dry salami, dry aged cheddar, flavored tortillas (my local varieties are garden herb, and some variety of tomato with which are both great ) individual serving size packets of mustard and horseradish sauce from the deli

Dried fruit from Costco – mangos, strawberries, and tangerines are my favorite

Last seasons elk jerky

Extra tortillas to have with your freeze dried dinner meals, makes a little more interesting and adds some calories

While the rest of my pack is pretty light, I sacrifice on the weight and bring some individual boxes of red wine to cap off long days of hiking and chasing elk

This may have been mentioned, but Ive found liquid IV goes a long way towards keeping me feeling great after many miles and some flavor to your water makes it much more interesting

Scrappy

WKR
Individual serving Justins almond butter packets to have with dried apples. Chocolate hazelnut flavor is my favorite.

Dry salami, dry aged cheddar, flavored tortillas (my local varieties are garden herb, and some variety of tomato with which are both great ) individual serving size packets of mustard and horseradish sauce from the deli

Dried fruit from Costco – mangos, strawberries, and tangerines are my favorite

Last seasons elk jerky

Extra tortillas to have with your freeze dried dinner meals, makes a little more interesting and adds some calories

While the rest of my pack is pretty light, I sacrifice on the weight and bring some individual boxes of red wine to cap off long days of hiking and chasing elk

This may have been mentioned, but Ive found liquid IV goes a long way towards keeping me feeling great after many miles and some flavor to your water makes it much more interesting
I'm laughing at the image in my head. Fully camo up dude sitting around camp drinking a juice box made for adults. 🙃🙃

Pemmican. This year it will be elk, whortleberry, and piñon. I eat pretty clean when I’m not backpacking, so tend to start feeling like crap if I eat too much processed food for several days straight. But I do bring a couple candy bars in case I need a morale boost on a tough hunt.

DeePow

FNG
My wife has adopted these Homemade bars into her own version and adds a couple scoops of protein. Clean eating with lots of calorie intake and they taste delicious.

I also recently discovered Kizee bars at Grocery Outlet which are a solid go to.

wnelson14

WKR
Haven’t tried these yet but heard great things

Good to Go Almond Coconut. Refrigerate if longer than 30 day storage. Fits within my nutrition plan, good balance of macros for me, and I know what 99% of the ingredients are!
Untitleddesign-31_900x.png

PB packets
Honey packets
Salmon packets
Honey Stinger gummies
Honey Stinger stroopwafles (if it’s not cold out)

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
I'm sure you'll all think I'm nuts, but sacrificing a little weight and bringing an actual apple is worth it to me. To be able to eat an actual fruit when all you're eating is dehydrated or condensed foods is quite a treat. Obviously it's not ideal for backpacking in several miles, but it's also not that big of a deal for the reward when you get to eat a nice, crispy apple.

I haven’t packed in an apple that I recall, but a few years ago my partner bought a big bag of apples on the drive up and we kept them in the icechest at the truck. Anytime we’d hike out to resupply food or relocate areas we’d each crush one or two of those ice cold apples and they tasted like the best thing I’d eaten all week. You are 100% correct, after eating nothing but granola and freeze dried, consuming fresh fruit just made your whole body (and mind) feel good. We’ve continued the apple tradition ever since!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro