Any Swamp Hunters Here...

Big Bend of Florida 12 miles to the Boat Ramp
I can see most of ya,ll are what we call..High Ground Hunters.
If I'm not within a hundred yards of water and a swamp or two I'm in the wrong spot.
Down far South here we set up along swamp edges as a natural funnel. Them Bucks and Hogs like to run the edges...well cause they can't walk across except in a few areas.
I know where them Creek crossing are as well.
I'd sure be different to see 100 yards but we do Look um in the Eye close . 30 to 50 yards is about average...sometimes 5 or Right under you yards.
I've shot deer at 10 ft. before.
Big Cypress buck.jpg

Btaylor

WKR
River bottoms and big sloughs moreso than swamps but boots that are waterproof from knee high to chest high area requirement.

Dr. Zeus

FNG
You'd fit right in on the hunting beast forums. They love swamp hunting.
Yeah, Dan Infalt has alot of informational videos of hunting whitetail In different terrain. I own farm country bucks.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

FLATHEAD

WKR
I live in Baldwin co., AL. near Mobile Bay, so I'm on the Upper/Lower Delta regularly.
Biggest Whitetail I ever killed in Florida was on the Green Swamp West.
166lb 9 pt.
Grew up in N. Bama hunting the Hills,,,, the Swamps take some getting used to.

Capn

FNG
Hunt quite a bit in river bottoms and swamps. It can be tough in high water conditions, but it can make the animals much easier to find and pattern. It really is much easier than hunting big woods that have few if any natural funnels.

jason HTX

FNG
Hunted swamp for the first time last year on the TX/LA border. What an awesome environment. We had success hunting edges along the shore and easily found deer bedding on the most leeward side of dry islands.

WCB

WKR
Hunt swamps here in the North country. Tamarac and willow swamps. replace your standing open water with waist to chest high cane and slough grass switch out the hardwoods with Tamarac or walls of red willow. Spent many mornings in waders hoping not to fall chest step through bog or step into a channel.

Poser

WKR
Before moving out West, I hunted swamps quite a bit in West TN. Tricky for sure with so much flat ground and deer that live in water. High water years were always better.

All that being said, hunting swamp rabbits was my favorite.

Kilboars

WKR
If I'm not in the swamp I'm on the edge of it. Even more so this year, waters really high in central FL where I hunt. Good thing is you have a better chance of hearing them coming.
Blood trailing is no fun in the swamp so I really aim for the heart with my bow.

FLS

WKR
I grew up hunting the coastal swamps of SC and North Florida for deer, hogs, turkeys, and ducks.

Last edited:

Loper

WKR
You north Florida guys ever go to Saint Vincent Island and hunt those sambar deer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll be hunting the island this January for the whitetail muzzleloader weekend. I’m really looking forward to it, and am trying to learn as much as I can about it as o haven’t hunted the island before.

StorMay05

FNG
You north Florida guys ever go to Saint Vincent Island and hunt those sambar deer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the one time I drew the tag, didn’t get anything though. I’m about 3 hours away and try to go once a year for one of the whitetail hunts. Lots of swamp and sand ridges on the island.

StorMay05

FNG
I’ll be hunting the island this January for the whitetail muzzleloader weekend. I’m really looking forward to it, and am trying to learn as much as I can about it as o haven’t hunted the island before.
Saw this got posted as I was typing my last response. The Jan. Hunt is a lot of fun too. I’ve had my best luck along the beach, but haven’t done too bad on the interior either.

For the ML hunt I wouldn’t pass anything legal. Those deer know they can wait out that hunt and really shut down after the first day.