Any truck drivers here?

Anyone here drive truck for a living that can add some insight into what’s going on around the country? I admittedly haven’t looked too in depth into it but I’m curious as to what actual drivers are seeing going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
O
I’m referring to the supposed driver shortage causing all the delays in shipping and receiving goods across the country. Heard about it last week but don’t know anything other than what the talking heads say. Ships backed up in harbors etc. I’d like to hear what actual drivers think about all this.

Ok gotcha...yeah there's approximately 150 thousand job openings and not enough drivers to fill them...due to bad driving records...dui's .... or can't pass drug screens or physicals ....recently the dot even started allowing guys on insulin pumps to qualify for their med cards...as far as the backed up ships I say there's more than likely not enough people to unload them at the docks...quite frankly that's what happens when you pay people way to much unemployment for way to long to sit on their rear ends....they loose all ambition to go to work!

OP
O
Thanks for the insight. That makes sense. I believe 100% the unemployment right now is suffocating a lot of the economy. Especially the food and restaurant sector. I can’t imagine what else it’s killing. I mean, I can, but I don’t want to.

Exactly....literally thousands apon thousands of job opportunities and employers can't even get people to apply...quite frankly they need to cut them off of unemployment and require all able bodied people currently on welfare to get at least a part time job to qualify for benefits.....and see how fast stuff turns around.

Been driving truck for 27 years, we could put 30 drivers to work right now if we could find them. We turn away work everyday because of the lack of drivers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
O
Wow! That blows my mind. I had always thought of truck driving as a fairly stable and decent waged job. Am I wrong in that assessment or is it the general millennial laziness killing everything? Ps- technically I’m a millennial and I think this is ludicrous.

Been driving truck for 27 years, we could put 30 drivers to work right now if we could find them. We turn away work everyday because of the lack of drivers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You are absolutely correct....we have had help wanted adds on the radio among other places and we get maybe one or two apps a month.

Loco4dux

WKR
I work with an enthanol trucking business and there is an extreme shortage of drivers in CA.

OP
O
Is it just now coming to a head because many drivers are retirement age and pulling the plug?

That's part of it and that kids over the last 15 to 20 years have all been told you can't get a job making good money without a degree and so they don't even consider driving until they realize the field they got their degree in is full up and has no openings.

OP
O
You are 100% correct. I know many college kids and I don’t believe any of them do what they set out to do. If you don’t mind me asking, what can a typical freight driver make? Might have some people who will need a job soon.

I look for part time driver jobs occasionally. I'm only looking at local haul stuff.
But every single add i see wants a perfect clean driving record. And 2-3 years with that exact kind of hauling.
Obviously idk the in and outs but if your turning down business you think you'll just pay the higher insurance.

Well guys at my place average according to out add on the radio...77 grand a year ....and that's based on a 4 day work week. We currently start guys out at 24 bucks per hour and overtime after 8 daily...and they get almost 3 bucks a year in raises for the first couple years and then cost of living raises every year there after.

Tradchef

WKR
how does one go about getting into the field besides getting a CDL? Do you have to complete anything else or is that basically what you need to start working?

Not only the license but also pass your medical screening and find a company that will let you work without the 2 years experience most places require

OP
O
That seems pretty reasonable to me. Seems like plenty of work out there as well.

Rokbar

WKR
Wow! That blows my mind. I had always thought of truck driving as a fairly stable and decent waged job. Am I wrong in that assessment or is it the general millennial laziness killing everything? Ps- technically I’m a millennial and I think this is ludicrous.

Hey, stop blaming the millennials, thy were told how to vote! But, keep on trucking good buddy.