Anybody else try sleep training their kids?

jmez

WKR
We didn't follow any books or methods. We had kid on a schedule and kept to the schedule. Bed time was bedtime. They were never allowed in our bed and once down they stayed there, including naps.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
We were hardcore firm on sticking to the schedule. And we took them along everywhere but if 7pm was the time, we were home and on schedule. We watched others not do that and, you kind of deserve what you are creating. Yes, nobody wants to listen to them cry but remember who is the adult in the room because if you give an inch....they will take that ground and go for more. This sets the tone for down the road. It’s all in the book, you read the manual right?

By the way, didn’t know it had a name, just thought it was being good parents. 😊

Buckshotaz

Lil-Rokslider
I should of done this with my son sooner. I am not getting any help from his mother at all, she says I'm stupid for trying, but I know it needs to happen. I do get some support from my son's wife, but sleep training a 30 year old is much harder than I ever imagined.

Don't wait like I did.

NoWiser

WKR
Don’t give up.

My wife refused to sleep train. She wouldn’t even consider it. My daughter was always a good sleeper so it wasn’t a big deal. My son has never slept a single night without sharing a bed with my wife. He’s just shy of 2 years old right now and is screaming as I type this. It’s been horrible. I can’t remember the last time I slept a night without listening to screaming. One rough week a year ago could have prevented all this torture.

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
Don’t give up.

My wife refused to sleep train. She wouldn’t even consider it. My daughter was always a good sleeper so it wasn’t a big deal. My son has never slept a single night without sharing a bed with my wife. He’s just shy of 2 years old right now and is screaming as I type this. It’s been horrible. I can’t remember the last time I slept a night without listening to screaming. One rough week a year ago could have prevented all this torture.
Man that sounds terrible. So far it’s getting better at night, nap time is hell though, this afternoon he cried for a good solid hour and slept about 20 minutes. Wife is cracking but hope she holds out. I slept almost through the night last night, it was awesome.

Reactions: WCB

whaack

WKR
We just started and I feel like some sort of sadistic asshole to just sit here and listen to my son cry. Does this work? Man parenting is hard.

It works and it’ll be the best thing you’ve done for your marriage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P Carter

WKR
It works and it’ll be the best thing you’ve done for your marriage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. The parents’ need to sleep is legitimate. Especially the mother who is being awakened and making all that milk.

The baby is fine—so long as he/she is warm and fed, they are ok and would just prefer to have company. (Strongly prefer to have company, maybe.) So would I! And if all I had to do to get my preference was to cry, I’d cry all the time!

Give that baby plenty of attention, love, care, attachment, whatever during awake time. And plenty of sleep during sleep time. A gift for all.

wnelson14

WKR
We just started and I feel like some sort of sadistic asshole to just sit here and listen to my son cry. Does this work? Man parenting is hard.
My wife and I followed Taking care of baby, it really works wonders. My almost two year old sleeps from 8-7 every night since about 12 weeks old, and every night she tells us to “get out” of her room rolls over and is out, our 2 month old has been sleeping through the night for 2 weeks now. Honestly the key is to always put them down awake, they grow to love their bed. Get a black out shade, noise machine, and have the same routine every night. Good luck man

Squincher

WKR
Man that sounds terrible. So far it’s getting better at night, nap time is hell though, this afternoon he cried for a good solid hour and slept about 20 minutes. Wife is cracking but hope she holds out. I slept almost through the night last night, it was awesome.

Not all kids nap. My daughter slept through the night starting very early, but never took a nap that I know of. My son, on the other hand, would drop off immediately whenever he laid down.

Quick story we have a 4 month old we are working on. The other day she was in her crib for a nap and was fussy. we had it timed to let her be in there for 5 minutes and let her fuss then someone would go in. our daughter who is 16 couldn't handle it and ran in the room after a couple minutes and picked her up. my wife told her that we are trying to let her self sooth and she said that is why she has a big sister so she doesn't have to. I have a feeling that my 16 year old daughter and 15 year old son are going to make it tough. I will say that having a surprise baby and older children are a blessing, even though she is going to be spoiled beyond belief. I wish i was stronger for the sleep training but its hard with a baby we never though we were going to have. she gets as much attention as she needs.

keep being strong even though I cant I wish you good luck.

cciliske

FNG
We have a pretty headstrong two year old now who didn't want to sleep through the night without a bottle. For us it came down to a long weekend when he was about 16 months where we just had to cold turkey him through the night. Probably just as rough on the parents as kids.

For reference, at nearly two years old, he just is starting to want to go to sleep on his own so it can be a bit. At least it was for us.

I remember the first time that all three of us slept through the night: mom, dad, and baby. You wake up (maybe around 6am or so) and both go "oh sh1t, the baby!", run into the baby's room just to find the baby is still sound asleep :ROFLMAO: That's when you know it's going to work and it was worth it.

Ursus1975

FNG
We did that, but didn't know it had a fancy name. Yep its hard, but you know that he is not hurt or injured. He's not scared, everything is fine with him. Its all in your head. My girls have always sleep alone its the first step in independence and builds there confidence. We never had problems with the staying with other people like sleep overs or our parents house.

MPat70

FNG
First night she cried for about 30 minutes. Every 5 minutes we walked in and re-tucked her and reassured her that we were there.
2nd night was less and by the 3rd night she only cried about 5 minutes.
From them on she was great for about 6 hours.
The key is consistency. Same routine, same time no matter what.

Brink

FNG
We rocked our daughter to sleep every night for the first 15 months or so. After that, it only took one night to sleep train. She cried for about an hour that first night but after that she laid down and went to sleep on her own very quickly. I am not an expert but I think waiting a little while so she could understand what was going on a bit better helped and she was through the worst of the teething at that point.

Rocking a baby to sleep every night is a pain, but it is also a good bonding experience for moms/dads. On the next kid I will probably go a similar route and wait to sleep train until about a year.

jte5013

FNG
Good to hear it worked for you. Hopefully that sleep sticks around for a while and you can catch up on some of the sleep you lost.