Anybody ever get shingles?

I had them about 3 years ago. Started in my left eye and spread to the left side of my face and scalp. I basically had a migraine for 10 days straight as the nerve pain shot into my left temple. I was on anti-viral medication for almost 6 months because the spot in my eye would not clear up.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I got shingles a few years ago. got a rash on my chest, but that was noting. It was the pain in the back of the head , neck, and back. Every morning, I felt like someone beat me over the neck with a baseball hat. there is a prescription for the shingles nerve pain that really helps to clear it up. I had declined the vacination prior to that episode, but got the shots since.

I had it a couple weeks ago. Only had it on my left leg and the meds kicked it in a week or so. I never experienced the severe pain but the itching was intense when I was working out.

OP
5MilesBack

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
A buddy and I were supposed to pour some concrete tomorrow, but I canceled on him Monday because of this. But I feel pretty good, so now I'm shooting for Sat if he can make it. I had to replace all our 53 year old cast iron drain/waste lines under the house all the way to the sewer line because they were rusted out on the bottom......and we have a sprawling rancher, so lots of length. Man, what a job with cutting the concrete.....the dust....jackhammering, digging, refilling, etc. Even the 53 year old dirt is dusty as heck.

My 15 year old daughter was a trooper as well.......spraying all the water while I cut concrete and then filled the dirt back in when we were done with the plumbing. I'm ready for this job to be over. And then all the cleaning.....ugggg. I'm ready for a September vacation. This plumbing thing actually reared it's ugly head on August 31 last year when water started coming up between the floor and an interior foundation wall right behind the furnace, from the washing machine draining from the far end of the house. It's been a long road to getting it all done. Almost a year isn't bad....LOL. I just try to think of all the money I saved.

Last edited:

z987k

WKR
It's a peach. I've been sweating my tail off the last couple weeks working outside in the high heat. At first I just thought it was some heat rash, especially since my shirts have been soaked with sweat most of the day every day. Then the itching and pain started. Fun stuff, especially since I have a bunch more work to get done. I guess heat and sweating is bad for it, and can make it even worse. Yay. Supposed to be 97 today, which I normally don't mind. But going to have to slow down a bit I think until it's gone.

Anybody know how long new spots keep erupting once it starts? Then how long it takes to clear? Internet searches say 2-6 weeks.....wow. 6 weeks puts me almost into elk season. I started meds yesterday.
Got it a few years ago at 32.

Go to the Doctor. They can give you anti-virals for it. It'll probably be Valtrex, or the generic for it. Mine was gone in 3 days on that after having it for 4-5 days and thinking it was a rash as well.

I don't know why a bunch of you are battling this on you own when there's med's to make it go away.
Also, you are highly contagious to anyone that hasn't had chickenpox or the vaccine for chickenpox yet. So stay away from young kids.

Last edited:
yes, about 4 weeks of misery. Face, head, neck and one shoulder. Now have the 2 shot vax recommended by my doctor. Don't want that mess again.

ptmn

FNG
I had the Ramsey-Hunt version of shingles. It's shingles inside the head. Lost my heading on one side, same side of my face dropped like Bells-Palsy, lost vision in one eye, sores inside the ear, loss of taste, blisters lower portion on one side of my face. Worst part was the right side of my head felt like it was getting kicked in with a steel toe boot.

Had to set an alarm to take anti-virals every 4 hours, narcs every 8 hours and prednisone every 12 hours. Took 5 weeks to recover.

The chicken pox virus says dormant in your spinal fluid from when you got it as a kid. I got torn up in Iraq and had to go through 3 spinal surgeries. Got hit with Ramsey hunt about 3 weeks after the 3rd surgery on my neck. Doc said that had something to do with the chicken pox virus reactivating from being dormant causing the outbreak of shingles inside my head.

Once I turned 50, I got the 2 part shingles vaccine, since I didn't want to go through that debacle again. If you are over 50, I highly suggest getting the Shingles vax

SwiftShot

WKR
It is terrible. Get the shot when you can get the shot and then you do not need to worry about it. Shingles is just bad.

My wife had shingles all over her head and neck about 4 years ago. It was awful for her. She basically didn't leave her room for a month. She still has nerve pain and problems with her eyes sometimes.

She was 37 at the time and was told she wasn't eligible for vaccine, even after having to deal with the virus. We both thought Shingles was an "old person" problem, but after her experience, it seems that 30-40% of the people we know have had it at some point in their 20s or 30s or 40s. Lots and lots of friends and people we know have had it, just no one talks about it....... One would think the .gov would change requirements and recommendations for vaccine?

kentuckybowman

Lil-Rokslider
I got the shingles vax three years ago, two doses. First dose I thought I would rather have the shingles I was so sick for 8 or 9 days. Second dose I was only sick for two days not as bad.

KHNC

WKR
Shingles is the ONLY vax i voluntarily received as an adult. I have no intention of getting Shingles. Especially so once i saw a couple of my friends get it.

OP
5MilesBack

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I got the shingles vax three years ago, two doses. First dose I thought I would rather have the shingles I was so sick for 8 or 9 days. Second dose I was only sick for two days not as bad.
So far, I'd rather have this than the vaccine. Everybody I've talked to that got the vaccine said it was something like getting hit by a truck. So far, this shingles is just a minor hindrance. Just like Covid for me as well. I've had it a few times since early 2020, and not that big of a deal for me.

Last edited:

def90

WKR
Haven't had it, one of my friends got it the day after he got his second shot Covid vaccine which apparently is/was a thing..

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
I had a friend who got it on his face and eye he struggled with it a couple of months. It caused nerve damage in his eye and he's trying to learn to shoot with the left now as it keeps his eye from focusing. I had both shingrix vaccines they weren't bad at all a little draggy the next day but overall not a big deal. I'v also had the Covid vaccines and boosters again not a big deal or any reaction.

manthb3

FNG
Had it on my head and was fortunate that it it did not last long. Around the same time a friend of my dads had it and he was miserable for a few months with flare ups for a while after.

Rich M

WKR
It's a peach. I've been sweating my tail off the last couple weeks working outside in the high heat. At first I just thought it was some heat rash, especially since my shirts have been soaked with sweat most of the day every day. Then the itching and pain started. Fun stuff, especially since I have a bunch more work to get done. I guess heat and sweating is bad for it, and can make it even worse. Yay. Supposed to be 97 today, which I normally don't mind. But going to have to slow down a bit I think until it's gone.

Anybody know how long new spots keep erupting once it starts? Then how long it takes to clear? Internet searches say 2-6 weeks.....wow. 6 weeks puts me almost into elk season. I started meds yesterday.
Keep up with the Dr.

My uncle had complications related to shingle. That's all I'm gonna say.

Backyard

WKR
So far, I'd rather have this than the vaccine. Everybody I've talked to that got the vaccine said it was something like getting hit by a truck. So far, this shingles is just a minor hindrance. Just like Covid for me as well. I've had it a few times since early 2020, and not that big of a deal for me.

I’ve had both doses of the shingles vaccine. No problems whatsoever with either shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk