Anybody rucking?

OP
J

jarrettd

FNG
Thanks everyone for all the input and advice on my original posting. I wanted to update all of you on my progress since January. We have been rucking pretty consistently every Saturday @ 4:30 Am. (A good way to vet your hunting partners, by the way.) Shortly after starting this trend, I quickly realized this tradition is going to be crucial for me to get my body and my gear dialed for the mountains. I feel like I change something up almost every week. I'm a little guy, weighing in at 135#. My most recent ruck was 80# for 4 miles with no pain or soreness. I'm so happy with the way my body feels. Say what you want about me putting too much stress on my body. I feel better knowing that I'm capable to do it. After all, isn't that what your pack will weigh when hauling out meat?? Here are a list of things I found that helped me get to this point:

Kifaru duplex lite frame
I've been switching between the Stryker XL and the "grab it" from kifaru
I use an ammo dump pouch (amazon) on the right hip for my nalgene
I use a cheap amazon molle pouch on the left hip for cell phone
50# sandbag wrapped in duct tape is my regular load
Sandbag strapped up high on the meat shelf. Do not just let your weight carry in the bottom. Its too low. Kifaru sells additional straps and buckles to secure the load up high.
Add a 25# plate in the stryker bag if desired
Trekking poles recommended if going heavy
Crispi Nevadas
Lace boots tight using the "heel lock technique"
Superfeet Green Insoles*** amazing difference in my foot pain - no leukotape needed
High quality marino hiking socks - farm to feet or Darn Tough
If you require a belt for your pants, use something thin so it does not dig in. I use a tactical nylon webbing belt.
I've tried suspenders, but they dig in to my hips as well. Thin nylon belt is the way to go.
Eat breakfast beforehand and Drink lots of water.
When not rucking, walk around barefoot to build up your foot callus.

Feel free to reply if you have any questions about my system. Elk season is less than a month away and I feel great having this confidence in my body and my gear.

I have been doing this the last few weeks to get prepped for my first elk hunt. Luckily we have a path near our house that leads to some trails. I have a 25lb kettlebell I put on a towel and some water. My furthest is 4.5 miles right now but I have done 5 with a lighter pack setup with an average of 3.5 mph. I am using barefoot shoes and they have made a huge difference in how comfortable I am walking.

Fullfan

WKR
Been hauling a 50 pound bag of stock salt around for the past 3 weeks. Been doing a 15% grade 1/2 mile hill 3 days a week. And 2 miles the other days.

dtrkyman

WKR
Gonna throw the sand bag on and climb a trail in town, 750 feet gain in 3/4 mile, short and to the point.

I’m jealous of all you guys that have a real place to ruck. Best I can do is a 50# pack and walk to the beach in 95 degree heat and 90% humidity for a 4-5mile loop. Maybe 12ft elevation change . And now I’m at work out of town and can only pace back and forth in my trailer with my pack on. I’m going to wear a path in the tile of the floor before long. I need all the help I can get in the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been doing this the last few weeks to get prepped for my first elk hunt. Luckily we have a path near our house that leads to some trails. I have a 25lb kettlebell I put on a towel and some water. My furthest is 4.5 miles right now but I have done 5 with a lighter pack setup with an average of 3.5 mph. I am using barefoot shoes and they have made a huge difference in how comfortable I am walking.
I'd like to know more about those barefoot shoes. I've heard good and bad things about them. Can you go into some detail of what brand, how much you wear them and when?

Thanks!

schmalzy

WKR
I’m jealous of all you guys that have a real place to ruck. Best I can do is a 50# pack and walk to the beach in 95 degree heat and 90% humidity for a 4-5mile loop. Maybe 12ft elevation change . And now I’m at work out of town and can only pace back and forth in my trailer with my pack on. I’m going to wear a path in the tile of the floor before long. I need all the help I can get in the mountains.

I feel you on the lack of elevation. I’ve had good luck with parking garages. Hike up the stairs, walk down ramps and vice versa.

Btaylor

WKR
Got my new to me duplex lite/stryker xl yesterday and threw 100# on it and went up and down 100 flights of stairs. Pack exceeded my expectations and they were high based on reputation for hauling weight.

*zap*

WKR
I'd like to know more about those barefoot shoes. I've heard good and bad things about them. Can you go into some detail of what brand, how much you wear them and when?

Thanks!
I will cut in here.....been using Merrill trail gloves and other model barefoot's for a few years now pretty much daily. Work (landscape/remodel), around town, gym, trail hike....been very good. I was heel striking when I walked and now that is over with.....just check your shoes to see if your heels are worn down. The barefoot shoes encourage you to land on the ball of your foot..plus you need to be conscious of that also.
As close to primal (barefoot) as you can get especially if you use the more minimalist barefoot shoes like Merrill vapor gloves...those worked well for me.

I will cut in here.....been using Merrill trail gloves and other model barefoot's for a few years now pretty much daily. Work (landscape/remodel), around town, gym, trail hike....been very good. I was heel striking when I walked and now that is over with.....just check your shoes to see if your heels are worn down. The barefoot shoes encourage you to land on the ball of your foot..plus you need to be conscious of that also.
As close to primal (barefoot) as you can get especially if you use the more minimalist barefoot shoes like Merrill vapor gloves...those worked well for me.
Thanks for your experience. I heard the first few times you try them to only go short distancea because your feet will hurt like hell until you're used to them. Do you use them when packing out an animal? I'd imagine you won't have the needed ankle support?

*zap*

WKR
I have worn them rucking on trail and packing out a kansas quartered mature whitetail doe. The thing is working up to things....hauling weight in barefoot shoes makes your body provide the support..if they are very minimal barefoot shoes you will focus on landing on the balls of your feet because if you do not you will fell it...

I wheelbarrowed 2 tons of 4-8" rock down hill 50+ yards one way today with trail gloves on. probably 220# a load...focused on keeping knees bent and landing on balls of the feet. Barefoots are great but boots will still have their place....train to improve your body and hunt with gear that makes things easier...I do not use trekker poles for training hikes either but will use them for hunting/backpack camping.

Thanks!

Right now I have the Xero Shoes Prio for training and I love them. I went and got the Xero Hana for casual wear and will prob pick up some Lems Boulder boots for the fall. After a single day of wearing them I tried on all my old shoes and they felt like garbage so now barefoot is all a wear. Here are some pros and cons:

Pros:
Zero lift lets you stand naturally without a heal to mess up your back or knees.

The wider toe box lets you modulate your toes and interact with the ground far more than normal shoes.

They are hands down the most comfortable shoes IMO. They are light and you forget you have them on sometimes

They make short hikes and walks far more interesting as your feet literally 'grab' the ground as you walk
on rocks etc.

Driving a stick shift is way more fun because you have so much more control over the pedals

Cons:
Walking long distances on cement is brutal at first. I recommend full cushion socks

You have to change the way you walk which means they can hurt your heels for a few weeks.

The options are pretty limited for burly hiking boots. I have the Irish Setter Elk Trackers and they are
actually pretty similar in feel to barefoot aside from the thick sole as they dont have a lot of heel and a wide toe box

On longer hikes or hunts I would not recommend them as you need to be so much more conscious of where you step and possibility of injury if you step on a rock wrong etc.