Anyone else question their Swaro SLC purchase?

Boonie327

FNG
I just received a new pair of 10x42 slc’s...as one would expect I was pretty excited to get my hands on them but they didn’t impress me as much as I expected. It’s been a few years since I looked through my dad’s EL’s but I remember being in awe. I don’t have my old bins (Cabelas Alaskan Guides) to compare them to because someone broke into my truck and stole them this past season, so I was comparing them to my old backups, a pair of bushnell legend HD’s. They didn’t blow the legend HD’s away when looking at a license plate through brush at dusk about 100 yards away along with just glassing nearby fields and other objects. Something just seemed off. Anyone else ever get a pair of alpha bins and not be as impressed as you expected? Is it possible to get a lemon? I plan on spending a good bit of time evaluating to be sure, but this is my first alpha purchase just a little surprised.

HuntNTag

WKR
EL’s, no question will make you see some vast differences at 100 yards. SLC’s are really solid but part of the gain isn’t only in definition, it’s also in the depth of view. If you go look at something at 500 yards or 1000 yards and you compare them to lesser glass, you will see a difference between them because of how often you have to focus with the lower end glass compared to the SLC’s and how your eyes can simply adjust to your SLC’s. You will also see more around the edges in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rclouse79

WKR
I have looked through a couple pair and they never made me think the upgrade was worth the extra cost. I am sure if I had the money laying around I would get a pair, but my prioritized gear list is long.

Nope. I compared the SLCs to ELs and the comparable Leica and Ziess models before buying the SLC 10x42. My eyes didn't see much difference between them. Definitely not enough to justify any additional cost.

TravisIN

WKR
Happy I upgraded from vipers to the slcs. I was a little worried Id want the els but after me and my buddy swapped slcs and els back and forth for a few hours we agreed they were both awesome haha. Happy every time I look through them

Last edited:
To my eyes the slc is not even close to as good as the el....i have owned both. I don’t understand the hype around the slc’s...The pair I had and tried I sold after a day. But that being said, don’t get in your own head to much, just use them a bit, if in 6 months you don’t like them sell them and try something else. They hold their value pretty well so that is a plus. Good luck!

PHo

WKR
Everybody’s eyes are different. For me there was absolutely no question that my SLCs were better than all the other binos that I’ve tried, including other alpha glass that cost twice as much. If you don’t share the same opinion and aren’t blown away by them then there’s nothing wrong with using the binos that you like and also saving money as well.

AndyB

WKR
The longer you have them the more you will notice the difference, and go Oh, wow. Focus them at 400 yds then look at something 10 miles away without adjusting the focus.

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
I love mine off tripod, but I swear off hand something feels off. Like I need to adjust 1 eye more all the time??

OP
B

Boonie327

FNG
I love mine off tripod, but I swear off hand something feels off. Like I need to adjust 1 eye more all the time??
That is exactly what is going on so far with me. Not quite a collimation issue, but seems like the diopter needs adjusted constantly when using both eyes, but when I adjust it ends up at the same setting. But like I said, hoping to spend some time with them this weekend and figure out if they are for me.

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
That is exactly what is going on so far with me. Not quite a collimation issue, but seems like the diopter needs adjusted constantly when using both eyes, but when I adjust it ends up at the same setting. But like I said, hoping to spend some time with them this weekend and figure out if they are for me.
Haha I sent mine to swaro and had them check out mine and they said everything was perfect. I swore I could see something fuzzy on my left lense. Maybe I just need to get my eyes checked??

JGRaider

WKR
The SLC's are awfully hard to beat, and I've seen/used most all the high end stuff with the exception of the Noctovid and Pure. They are awesome performers IMO.

Q child

WKR
I've never had any issues with my 15s at all. I'm always in awe at the view.
Lemons exist in any product. I say return them while you still can. Try buying another pair. If the issues persist, then maybe they don't work that well for your eyes. Way too much money to be anything other than really happy.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
I had a thread awhile back where I sold my shortly after buying them. In my opinion there was little difference between those and my old Razors. To each their own I guess.