Anyone have an issue with Hornandy 6.5 Creedmoor shooting slow??????

AZsniper

WKR
I bought my son an Xbolt Predator xtac in 6.5. It shoots very accurate. I am sub MOA at 100 yards and I have it hitting a 2ft rock at 500 yards shot after shot. Accuracy is outstanding with every ammo I give it. I am ready to send off for a range dial for the scope so I shot some rounds thru a chronograph. The 143gr ELDX (the round I want to use)shot an average of 130fps slower than the box suggested in a 5 shot group. After those results I decided to test the American Gunner 140gr and it shot 140fps slower on a 5 shot average and the 129gr American White tail shot 120fps slower than the box suggested. The gun has the 22in heavy sporter barrel. After those results I tried some Federal 140gr soft points and they shot 150fps faster than the Horandy 140gr, almost exactly what was posted on the box. Similar results with Winchester ammo. Everything else I shot was a lot faster and closer to what was posted on the box. I have ready great things about the ELDX bullets and in Arizona the chance of a longer shot is very good. I am concerned with stopping power at longer ranges if the fps is so much slower. At this point the Hornandy would be 150fps slower than a Federal round. I do not have the time to hand load so I am trying to pick one ammo for the scope dial. Would appreciate some input here.

As long as you know your velocity, and it's consistent, accuracy is key IMO and what's on the box is irrelevant

TxxAgg

WKR
The eld-x suck. Yeah I said it :)

They shoot slooow and they're a fragile bullet. I always liked the Federals in mine.

Shane431

FNG
The eld-x suck. Yeah I said it :)

They shoot slooow and they're a fragile bullet. I always liked the Federals in mine.

okay, well he has other bullets. But a lot of folks might disagree with you.

TxxAgg

WKR
okay, well he has other bullets. But a lot of folks might disagree with you.

I meant that in good in humor. My findings were the same as his. At extended range the eld-x's BC will make up for it over the Federal ammo but I found the eld-x to be a so-so bullet. Your mileage may vary.

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
Does the box tell you how long the test barrel was? I’m not real familiar with the 6.5 CM. I know it does well in shorter barrels but I wouldn’t be surprised if they run them through a 26” barrel to bump the numbers. That might explain the difference between you data and the box, not sure about the difference between rounds.

OXN939

WKR
I wouldn’t be surprised if they run them through a 26” barrel to bump the numbers.

Most manufacturers use a 24" barrel for their velocities... and the 130 FPS slower the OP is seeing is pretty close to what you'd expect, subtracting ~50 FPS per inch of barrel lost. Second the above, though- 6.5 CM isn't intended to be an ultra fast caliber. I'd stick with what's shooting accurately.

OP
AZsniper

AZsniper

WKR
Most manufacturers use a 24" barrel for their velocities... and the 130 FPS slower the OP is seeing is pretty close to what you'd expect, subtracting ~50 FPS per inch of barrel lost. Second the above, though- 6.5 CM isn't intended to be an ultra fast caliber. I'd stick with what's shooting accurately.
I am going to check with Hornandy tomorrow. The landscape in Arizona typically generates longer shots so I think the BC will be worth it. I appreciate all the feedback.

OXN939

WKR
I am going to check with Hornandy tomorrow. The landscape in Arizona typically generates longer shots so I think the BC will be worth it. I appreciate all the feedback.

Check. May want to check out the GMX Outfitter or Superformance. 120 grain pill doing 2925 FPS, and since it's copper, it performs terminally at least as well at a 147 ELD.