Anyone Have Experience with Gunwerks Magnus Muzzleloader Rifle System?

CCooper

WKR
I shot a buddy's bolt action (it's been awhile) that I believe used a primed 45 ACP case for the ignition with pyrodex pellets and sabbotted bullets. Recoil and muzzle blast were violent.

BBob

WKR
Ok, I thought I read something about the systems that use the primers in the brass cartridge thing that load from the bolt.
Yeah no they haven’t outlawed the bolt action primer module systems yet. As to AZ we’ve discussed and pondered it a bunch. AZ has always treated the early bull ML hunt as a top tier high demand hunt with very limited numbers of tags. The numbers of tags are low and always have been. They rotate units around so the ML’s don’t hurt the prime bull population too much in one area. Even if the kill percentage was 100% it’s a drop in the bucket compared to all the rest of the hunts. Based on that there’s no reason for AZ to get rid of the modern scoped long range ML. Lots of us have wanted them to but I’m doubting they will. That’s my current take but I could be wrong.

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
One thing to note is that a lighter muzzleloader is not always better. Many of those will be used with smokeless powder or heavy BH209 loads pushing a 275gr bullet in the 2400 fps range. In a light rifle the recoil is going to be brutal, I know I don’t like shooting mine without the suppressor on it.

Those all load powder and bullets from the muzzle and only have a primer holder in the action itself. The Traditions Firestick and the 1859 sharps are the only ones I know of that load the powder from the rear.
I shoot 70 grains of BH209 in my TC Bone Collector with Barnes 290 gr sabots. MV about 1850 fps. I'm sure will kill anything out to 250 yds.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot 70 grains of BH209 in my TC Bone Collector with Barnes 290 gr sabots. MV about 1850 fps. I'm sure will kill anything out to 250 yds.

I used to run 100gr by volume of BH209 in my CVA Accura with a 250gr sabot but now I run smokeless in my Prefit barrel on my bolt action and that 2400 fps is the starting load with a 275gr bullet. I don’t have the pressure trace system to figure out the load data so I just went with what Arrowhead recommended for their bullets and barrels.

I mainly switched to smokeless for the ease of cleaning and the fact that I can use a suppressor. It shoots faster and flatter than I need but the suppressor keeps the recoil manageable.

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
It would be for hunting Elk and Mulies. I have a T/C Bone Collector with a scope that's really accurate with BH209 over Barnes sabots, but I'd rather not take the scope off of it and put on peep sites. I'd rather have a dedicated muzzy with no optic.

What about getting a pic rail with built in peep from Eabco and just remounting scope with return to zero rings. Would create some work to re zero but would have both options in future on same gun.

SDHNTR

WKR
What about getting a pic rail with built in peep from Eabco and just remounting scope with return to zero rings. Would create some work to re zero but would have both options in future on same gun.

That’s a brilliant idea

bbrown

WKR

I went this route on my CVA Optima and it’s pretty slick. The build quality is much better than the Williams set up I was running before as the set screws are better quality and don’t deform.

I just wish they offered more options for the other muzzies I work on. A rail or weaver bases with the XS rear sight are a pretty solid option too but takes more work to measure for the correct front sight height

Procision Arms

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
We have been building the “smokeless” style of muzzleloaders for years- mostly for Midwest whitetail hunters as they are legal in many of those states when a high powered rifle is not. We build on the arrowhead system as well, it has been the easiest, most efficient system we’ve seen so far.

Recently, due to the changes in NM (and to become CO legal) we have been developing blackhorn loads and open sites in the exact same guns and have been able to keep the same accuracy guarantees (1/2 MOA to 500 yards if we do the load development, with a scope)

The Gunwerks revic is a really neat system, but I think the issue is the shooters vision may end up being the limiting factor on a lot of the iron-type sights, not the actual site or it’s elevation changes.

Our western-style open site system should allow most shooters to accurately shoot 300 yards on elk-sized targets and that seems to be the limit of vision and ability for most shooters from what we’ve seen.

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
We have been building the “smokeless” style of muzzleloaders for years- mostly for Midwest whitetail hunters as they are legal in many of those states when a high powered rifle is not. We build on the arrowhead system as well, it has been the easiest, most efficient system we’ve seen so far.

Recently, due to the changes in NM (and to become CO legal) we have been developing blackhorn loads and open sites in the exact same guns and have been able to keep the same accuracy guarantees (1/2 MOA to 500 yards if we do the load development, with a scope)

The Gunwerks revic is a really neat system, but I think the issue is the shooters vision may end up being the limiting factor on a lot of the iron-type sights, not the actual site or it’s elevation changes.

Our western-style open site system should allow most shooters to accurately shoot 300 yards on elk-sized targets and that seems to be the limit of vision and ability for most shooters from what we’ve seen.
Thank you for replying. I'm sure your muzzles are amazing. Unfortunately, out of my price range.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

BackCountryMulies

Lil-Rokslider
I have the GW muzzy TI & carbon in .45 it shoots very well. I have the Revic sight for colorado and I feel very comfortable to 400 with that setup. I also run a nxs 5.5-22x50 on it for Nebraska and have killed deer @ 800 with it there. If you are not wanting drop that kind of money I have a Remington ultimate muzzle loader in .50 cal and run the 327 gr parker out of it. I upgraded the trigger to a trigger tech and have a Vortex PST gen II on it and it shoots right at 1" @ 100 the gunwerks I have gottten groups as small as 5/8 " at a 100

Looking at your website
I don’t see a .50 cal option for Colorado?

Procision Arms

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking at your website
I don’t see a .50 cal option for Colorado?
Our website only has what we call our “line series” guns; they’re built with custom-level performance guarantees at a discount, but you only have a few stock options to pick from. It allows us to reduce costs and lead times if you want that level of performance but don’t want to wait 12-18 months or spend 5-6k.

We’re also a full custom shop and build .50 caliber CO elk muzzleloaders as well, along with full on custom rifles, they’re just not listed. If you have any questions, please give us a call! 1-877-23-RIFLE