Anyone like to cook / bake?

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
Do all the cooking in my house. Love grilling, smoking, baking, canning/preserving, you name it. Always nice to put your own artistic flare on food or just be able to provide.

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
The ability to properly feed yourself and your family is among the manliest of the manly arts. 😑
I'm sure he will enjoy his microwaved tv dinners and cereal once his wife (if he has one) leaves lol

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
I'm sure he will enjoy his microwaved tv dinners and cereal once his wife (if he has one) leaves lol
HAHAH right, like I think a man should be able to---

Own and wear suit, including tie a necktie
Basic household maintenance
Vehicle maintenance
COOK
Protect and Defend his family

This is of course amongst other things

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
My wife is a darn good cook, so I don't fight her for it, but I enjoy cooking and will often do it.
Sunday morning breakfasts are one of my favorites.- the whole nine, Biscuits and gravy, sourdough pancakes, eggs, sausage... I am the adventurous one, I often see a recipe or
meal I've never had or made before and will decide- "I'm going to try that". I made an awesome Beef Wellington this past Christmas. My kids got me a new Blackstone griddle for Fathers day and I did a big Jambalaya on it. My next project I'm making a big pot of Gumbo - I've ate a lot of good Gumbo, but never made it. I'm looking forward to making the dark colored rue for it, that will make or break your gumbo.

sram9102

WKR
My Mom was one of those farmer’s daughters that cooked starting at 10 on a wood stove with her mom for the family and hired hands.Then a farm wife that got called to bake pies for bake sales around our small community. I was sure blessed to have her as a Mom, and I married a good cook too.

Here’s 2 links about like 2 Mom used to make. I travelled for construction work 33 years and ate at diners in about 30 states , and I think I saw the old fashioned cream pie just a couple times. A regional thing. There was 3 or 4 at her funeral dinner.
https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/green-tomato-pie/bf3369e2-ebad-4465-81bf-84cad52c9bdf. Dad liked the Nutmeg for that.

https://www.savingdessert.com/no-34-hoosier-sugar-cream-pie/
You or your mother must have been from the northern half of the Hoosier state. I grew up along the Ohio River and didn't know that sugar cream pies existed until I moved north.

Mojave

WKR
Pies, I am pretty sure pies are my favorite desert.

My absolute favorite pies are:
black berry
ginger spiced pumpkin
rhubarb-berry
gooseberry
mixed berry
mixed berry and apple
lemon mirangue

I like pie cold! unless it is served with ice cream.

I don't like cobbler I don't understand why you people in the south do not put a bottom on a pie.

Crisp? Eh same problem as the cobbler. No bottom.

Not a huge fan of chocolate, I don't hate it but I don't think it belongs in a pie.

sneaky

"DADDY"
HAHAH right, like I think a man should be able to---

Own and wear suit, including tie a necktie
Basic household maintenance
Vehicle maintenance
COOK
Protect and Defend his family

This is of course amongst other things
Welding is a good skill to have

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Pies, I am pretty sure pies are my favorite desert.

My absolute favorite pies are:
black berry
ginger spiced pumpkin
rhubarb-berry
gooseberry
mixed berry
mixed berry and apple
lemon mirangue

I like pie cold! unless it is served with ice cream.

I don't like cobbler I don't understand why you people in the south do not put a bottom on a pie.

Crisp? Eh same problem as the cobbler. No bottom.

Not a huge fan of chocolate, I don't hate it but I don't think it belongs in a pie.
Boysenberry. You need to try that sometime

sneaky

"DADDY"
I went to culinary school and used to do desserts for a living. Miss it sometimes, but like having my weekends and holidays back.

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
must have been from the northern half of the Hoosier state
NW OH. Just grabbed the link off the net.
gooseberry
I was sitting at a small town diner counter in Indiana with my young work asst. and ordered gooseberry pie. He’d never heard or had it. I asked the waitress to bring another fork and a couple of them watched him try it. That was good for a laugh he had no idea.

Wapiti1

WKR

Chokecherry as well. When done right, it is excellent. But, it's a lot of work and pretty unknown.

I would never in a million years have thought you went to culinary school. Not that I presume to know you well, but your posts don't lead me to that notion.

Jeremy

Wapiti1

WKR
I want this recipe
Heat a cast iron dutch oven, lid on, to 450F for about 45 minutes. Get your bread kneaded and ready. Place parchment in the dutch oven, put the bread dough in, put the lid on, put in the oven and cook for 30 minutes. Pull the lid and cook 15 more minutes.

You can use any yeast or sourdough recipe for this. It makes amazing cheddar jalapeno sourdough.

Warning: It may smoke a bit, so keep that in mind. And it can destroy the season in some cast iron. Not sure why some burn off and others stay seasoned. If you have one that stays seasoned, or is enameled, skip the parchment.

A variation of this is to preheat in a coal bed in a fire. Plop the dough in, and cook for 20-30 minutes. Put coals on the lid. Start at 20 and look. Cooking on a coal bed takes a little time to figure out the amount of coals and heat.

Jeremy

FLATHEAD

WKR
I do like to cook anything, but I need to up my bread game.
I just do cornbread now but would like to get good with some
Sourdough.

Mojave

WKR

I have that and huckleberry before.

I had a pear pie that was awesome as well.

I think apples go well with berries.

Not really a fan of peach!

Foxsoup

FNG
I never enjoyed cooking much, until i started doing it for someone else. Unfortunately it’s something I’m half decent at, so I now do most of the cooking now. For anyone who does t have hank shaws cook book buck buck moose, it’s worth checking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk