Anyone own a Subaru?

Elknutty

FNG
I’ve never really thought too much about this before, but saw a tv commercial the other day from Subaru stating they are the largest corporate donor to the ASPCA.

That got me thinking…The ASPCA is similar to other animal ‘rights’ companies like the HSUS, PETA, etc…
All of which are strongly opposed to hunting and trapping. This made me think that I need to be selective as to which companies I am willing to support financially.

Does anyone else care about this? I think we all should!

seww

WKR
I gotta say that I don't care.
I look after myself first and if I find a good deal on whatever, I put very little thought into what that company supports. Sure we should but I don't have the time or energy to be bothered.

Now onto Subaru. I would like one, but their boxer engines seem to have issues with the head gaskets so I will not get one. Every brand can have the same issue, no doubt about that, but seems like Subaru have a bigger problem than most when it comes to HG's.

They supposedly fixed that in 2014. I had a 2009 Forester and sold it at 190,000 after driving it for 11 years. It had a head gasket leak. My wife had a 2005 outback pretty much the same story. Except it went 16 years very similar mileage.

. I was always Kind of disappointed with the Forrester mileage. Maybe it’s better nowadays. I replaced the Forester with a 2019 crew cab long bed Tacoma. The Tacoma gets maybe two mpg less mileage than the Forrester. But I can haul a lot more crap around in it.

I dont have time to look where every company I buy from sends money. In my opinion if you are going to start down that road then you may as well follow it to the end. Boycotting one brand because you happened across something while not caring enough to look into the other places you buy from just seems silly to me.

My wife got a Subaru Crosstrek a few years ago. After driving a bunch of cars its what she liked best. Her 2nd favorite was the Forester. I would like her to get something a little bigger so the Forester is probably next. I may just keep the Crosstrek for commuting myself and park the diesel. Subaru is also the largest corporate donor to the National Parks Foundation. I believe that when you buy a Subaru you choose where they donate too. Each dealer also will donate locally. My local dealer is a donor to the local wildlife foundation.

Had four. Last one spent 30% of its time in the shop. Got tired of crawling out to stand up. Didn't like the environut label. Last two cars have been Buicks. I can step down from the seat. Your choice.

Dos XX

WKR
I have a 2004 Outback with 250,000 miles on it. It has the 6.0 cylinder in it. I had to put an alternator on it at around 200k, I think. Other than that, nothing but brakes, tires, and oil. My buddies call it my lezmobile.

Last edited:
We got the wife a 2020 Ascent… man it’s a nice vehicle. Third row, hauled 5 people and a car seat for 3 hours with plenty of comfort, got 28mpg. Fits our family very well..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We got the wife a 2020 Ascent… man it’s a nice vehicle. Third row, hauled 5 people and a car seat for 3 hours with plenty of comfort, got 28mpg. Fits our family very well..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same wife has a 2022 Ascent. Did a lot of research before buying and it has been a great vehicle so far.

Mother in law has a 2005 Outback with 170,000 miles on it. Going strong.

To the OP: Everyone has to do what they think is right. If Subaru isn’t for you, then good. Might want to look into the company that you bought the phone from that you started this thread on though lol.

sylvest

FNG
I've had 2 Outbacks and 2 Foresters. Ran several up to 275k miles. Pre2011 had to replace headgaskets around 150-170k and then good to go. Best vehicles in the snow I have ever experienced. Live at 8500' in Colorado.

jimh406

WKR
Someone on another site said Subaru actually donates to a lot of different organizations. However, the people that work for them (and other companies) also donate to a lot of different causes that you might or might not agree with.

I had a Subaru once. That's probably not going to happen again. I want the ability to go true 4x4 if needed. Most of the time, it doesn't matter.

I agree AWD is better than nothing, but since I don't have to settle, I'm not going to.

Schism

WKR
I own a Subaru. It's hauled all sorts of dead critters on the roof and in the back while hunting. I got some funny looks with 5 coyotes piled on the roof one time but I figured the ASPCA donation could serve as my penance.

I’ve owned a few Subarus, first was a 1986 GL wagon, last was a 2009 forester.

We switched to the RAV4, we won’t go back. Gas, oil, brakes, 170k so far. Actually in the market now for an older 2014-2016 with 20-40,000 now to replace the Camry. Camry is great but we like the rav better, so getting another.

But all that said, there’s not a car company out there that aligns with my values. Sure they pander a little to outdoors types, but push comes to shove, we are a few % of the population, they don’t care
C068EFFD-592E-464C-B82B-9D04B607CC7D.png

Someone on another site said Subaru actually donates to a lot of different organizations. However, the people that work for them (and other companies) also donate to a lot of different causes that you might or might not agree with.

I had a Subaru once. That's probably not going to happen again. I want the ability to go true 4x4 if needed. Most of the time, it doesn't matter.

I agree AWD is better than nothing, but since I don't have to settle, I'm not going to.
Unless you’ve got full lockers front and rear; AWD is going to be superior to your 4WD typically found in most pickups.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I owned 3 WRX's when I was doing a lot of Solo SCCA, probably my fav was this 2004 wagon. They were a pretty impressive vehicle- they competed well on the track, but really shined in rally racing (too expensive of a sport for me to dabble in).

4ap3b2N.jpg