Anyone regret going from 3500/2500 series to a 1500 series?

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
People love to talk about 20+

As if that wouldn't revolutionize the industry.
Well all I can tell you is what my own eyes are telling me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If I tell you a certain whatever can do this or a (fill in the blank) is the best product on the market, it’s because I believe it based off of what information I have. I do a lot of research before I buy anything and buy whatever I believe in the most. I don’t always get it right but if I tell you my opinion, it’s because I honestly believe it because of personal experience with that product.

180ls1

WKR
Best I ever did was 23MPG all highway in the truck lane (62ish mph). On that tune setting the overhead showed like 54mpg lol. 5.9 cummins Ram 2500 4x4.

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Are you doing the math with gallons and a GPS verified speedometer?

Because if you are send that to your tuner. It would revolutionize the industry.
No I’m just looking at the calculated average based off miles driven and fuel used. But I’ve had it deleted for about a year now and it’s been in that 25-28 area. And I haven’t calculated it manually but just based off how many miles I can get on a tank of diesel, I’d say it’s pretty accurate. Unless I go west, it tends to go down a good bit on those trips.

Last edited:
I’ve been pondering the same know if gain can room but I’ve had my pickup for 10 years… no real need for a diesel besides some gravel trailers and friends boats/campers. Work pickups have been gas and diesel from 3500 duramax 350 powerjoke and various 1/2 tons. Besides payload no benefit to a gas heavy duty in my mind

DanMan

FNG
I had a 01 & 08 Ram 2500 then a 2011 3500 all with Cummins. The next 2 were 1500s - Hemis with 3.92 rear axle that would pull moderate loads great. My 2nd 1500 was recently damaged in a wreck with a lengthy repair so I got a new 2500 because I couldn't find a 15 with the longer bed and Rambox that I consider essential. I do like having a 2500 again but there are things that I prefer about driving the 1500s. Can't wait to get my damaged 1500 out of the shop and ready to roll again.

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 2017 LP5 duramax with about 50k miles on it and it kept throwing codes for the NOx and O2 sensors. I had no need for the diesel truck and ended up getting a Tundra. For my use case, I'm much happier with a Tundra.

If I was towing heavy, frequently, and for extended periods, I would buy a full size diesel again in a heartbeat.

Oldguy

FNG
I would like to get a new truck and considering going from my F250 Powerstroke to a GMC 1500. I got the F250 to pull a large toy hauler that we sold a couple years ago. After going a few years now without the trailer we dont really think we want another, or at least not such a large one.

The thing I love about my F250 though is the space and the diesel power. I often have it completely loaded up for hunting trips. I love how much power it has but it really is not needed. The 1500 really isnt that much smaller as the width is the same, the bed is 3" shorter I think.

Has anyone made a similar switch? Did you regret it?
I had a 2015 Toyota Tundra. Drove it from Mississippi all the way to Phoenix, Az and picked up a camper. Came back through Denver and made it back home. Said to myself, you were lucky that the Tundra did not crap out on you pulling that camper tru the mountains! Wound up and bought a 1500 GMC AT4 3.0 liter diesel. Loved the truck! Road like a Cadillac and had all the power I wanted. Pulled a 22’ ski boat just fine. Only problem was I kept getting a message on the big touch screen saying that I was exceeding my GWCR! After I hit a deer 2 weeks in a row, one in the Tundra and one in the GMC 1500 while the Tundra was in the shop, I traded them both in on a GMC 2500 Sierra DuraMax and have not regretted it a day. Love the 2500. If anything get you a new F250, you want be disappointed!

mrcvelo

FNG
I had a 2015 Toyota Tundra. Drove it from Mississippi all the way to Phoenix, Az and picked up a camper. Came back through Denver and made it back home. Said to myself, you were lucky that the Tundra did not crap out on you pulling that camper tru the mountains! Wound up and bought a 1500 GMC AT4 3.0 liter diesel. Loved the truck! Road like a Cadillac and had all the power I wanted. Pulled a 22’ ski boat just fine. Only problem was I kept getting a message on the big touch screen saying that I was exceeding my GWCR! After I hit a deer 2 weeks in a row, one in the Tundra and one in the GMC 1500 while the Tundra was in the shop, I traded them both in on a GMC 2500 Sierra DuraMax and have not regretted it a day. Love the 2500. If anything get you a new F250, you want be disappointed!
I picked up a used 7.3 gas F250 back in October and love it. It tows really nicely. Stiffer than the F150 but I'm offroading in the sxs anyway so not too big of a deal. Wish I got the 20+mpg some guys get with their diesels but great beyond that

Ive always had 3/4 ton 4x4 GM trucks, since my first new one in 1980 all the way to my last one, a 2004 Silverado xtendcab 2500HD w/ a 6.0 gasser. 230,000 miles and never replaced anything but a few batteries and a starter. Gave it to my kid 4 years ago when I bought my uncles garage kept 2003 Dodge Ram Quad-Cab short box w/a 5.9 diesel with 100K on it.....like a brand new truck and it still looks new today with 110K on it. No rust anywhere. I just took delivery 2 weeks ago of my 2024 F-450 crew cab 4x6, 8' box, FX4 and 6.7 diesel dually. 475hp and 1050 ft-lbs of torque. 58gal fuel tank. Yes, Ive owned a 1500 4x4 Silverado I bought new in 1990. Won't ever do it again. Wasn't strong enough. The new F-450 will tow or haul anything that needs pulled or hauled. Tremendous power, rides better than the Ram and so far with just 275 miles on it around my small city it's getting 14mpg so i'm not complaining. The turning radius is sharper than even a F-150 according to the ford specs. and in my experience. My Ram was getting closed to maxed out pulling my Kubota skid loader/trailer set-up and I'm looking at getting heavier equipment so it was time to get a bigger truck. I do agree that if you have no real need for a HD truck there is little reason for buying one. The 1500/150 class really do ride pretty smooth for trucks and have plenty of go. However, no need to overload the small trucks either. We have enough idiots on the raods as it is.

My ok boy regret with the 2500 is getting a gas and not diesel.

What I wonder though. Are people guesstimating their consumptions or actually verifying? Like outboard motors. How fast is this set up? Oh…30 knots I think.

Same set up with gps and it’s actually 1/2 what they say. Lol

My ok boy regret with the 2500 is getting a gas and not diesel.

What I wonder though. Are people guesstimating their consumptions or actually verifying? Like outboard motors. How fast is this set up? Oh…30 knots I think.

Same set up with gps and it’s actually 1/2 what they say. Lol
Lots of people go by the overhead/dash.

Those are wildly inaccurate with tuned vehicles.

It's a delusional number.

I'm on stock tires and height at 15-16 mpg. From one of the best tuners in the businesses.

My 2015 Dmax Crew cab short bed with 5 passengers and a bed full of camping gear had hand calculated 22mpg this past summer. no tune. just had really good fuel. generally I sit on 17mpg mixed city highway

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
I’m just of the simple opinion that if you own a pickup, you shouldn’t complain about the gas mileage. It’s an interesting, but not fascinating, factor, as some make it out to be.

If you’re that concerned get a car

Agree. Buying a truck is a functional choice. If function is your jam, fuel efficiency should probably be no higher than your 3rd/4th criteria. But to each their own.

I’ve owned 2500,3500 trucks and used as my daily for the last 22 years. If you need to tow often, nothing beats a 250 or 350. As mentioned earlier by others, it’s not the power … it’s suspension and brakes. But if you don’t, 150 / 1500 trucks have just as much cab space and a much smoother ride.

For the first time I’ve been driving a Chevrolet 1500 with the 3.0 duramax. Granted, I didn’t trade my last truck in but kept it for towing and put a service body on it. But I find 90% of the time I’m driving the 1500 and I love it .

But towing, especially in the mountains, forget the tow rating from the manufacturer… if it’s over 3k I’m running the heavier truck.