Advice on a used truck 25-30k

RedGreen

FNG
I was under the impression cylinder deactivation started with '21 models with the Coyote engine...

You might be right actually. I know it was one of the more recent coyote generations. I think the one that upped compression to 12:1, combo port and direct injection. Cannot recall exactly but it is on the F150 forums.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Aluminum F150 rusting?
Hmmm....
At Tundra would be way outclassed towing what the OP needs to do.
Tundras aren't for work.
I would look for an F250 gasser.
I think this f150 rust thing is the real deal. I talked to someone on here buying a new f150 and he walked because the undercarriage already had some rust issues!

bullnose

FNG
You might be right actually. I know it was one of the more recent coyote generations. I think the one that upped compression to 12:1, combo port and direct injection. Cannot recall exactly but it is on the F150 forums.
And I might be wrong too... just ask my wife!

OP
S

Savagenut

WKR
Found a decent deal on a 2017 f350 with the 6.2 gasser. More truck then I need but price is good. Any thoughts on the f350?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
Found a decent deal on a 2017 f350 with the 6.2 gasser. More truck then I need but price is good. Any thoughts on the f350?

Congratulations! He-man muscle truck baby! I can put my 'lil taco in the back and you won't even notice. (Don't take that in the wrong way!!) Seriously, it is one heavy duty truck. Despite updates to the suspension, the ride can be a little "stiff" for a daily driver, but it's a truck...right?? That engine is generally considered reliable as long as it was maintained ...but that's all motors, right? A few former work friends said "tune-ups" were expensive but I think that's the case with all vehicles, even when you do them yourself. For towing I think it will do very well for what you indicated earlier.

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
For pricing by me in NE CO, depending on trim level and milage, I see them going for the upper 30's to mid 40's. F250s with same motor go for around 30-32k for xl trim and 34k for XLT trim. That's dealer lots.

Elk botherer

Lil-Rokslider

I have the same truck and its road manners are similar to all of the other 3/4 tons I’ve had but I never have to worry about overloading the truck like I have the others. I can hook up to my toyhauler and put more toys in the bed and still be under capacity on weight. I’d buy an f350 again in a heartbeat, it’s a great combo with the 6.2.

RedGreen

FNG
17' f350 6.2 v8 would be a good choice. Don't think you need it either but it will be a tank. Those 6.2s if well maintained are some of the best modern engines ford is making. Pretty efficient for their displacement and should run a very long time.

OP
S

Savagenut

WKR
Congratulations! He-man muscle truck baby! I can put my 'lil taco in the back and you won't even notice. (Don't take that in the wrong way!!) Seriously, it is one heavy duty truck. Despite updates to the suspension, the ride can be a little "stiff" for a daily driver, but it's a truck...right?? That engine is generally considered reliable as long as it was maintained ...but that's all motors, right? A few former work friends said "tune-ups" were expensive but I think that's the case with all vehicles, even when you do them yourself. For towing I think it will do very well for what you indicated earlier.

Just to be clear. Not purchased yet but heading to look at it. Really wanted a tundra but here in ford and Chevy country they are few and far between.

Just to be clear. Not purchased yet but heading to look at it. Really wanted a tundra but here in ford and Chevy country they are few and far between.

The F350 is way more capable than a Tundra.
You're talking actual light-duty TRUCK.
Get it.

I just picked up a 2017 F350 to add into our work fleet. Solid truck and allows a non-CDL guy to haul skid steers around.

Im waiting on my 2024 F450 4x4 crew cab dually 8' box diesel to be delivered. 475hp and 1050 ftlbs of torque. Ordered it back in August. An F350 is a fine truck, SRW or a dually. Lots of towing and hauling capacity. As for a 1/2 ton truck for hauling if I had to choose, it would be a Tundra.

Bama67

FNG
Just an FYI, in the SRW versions, the F250 and F350 is the exact same truck but the 250 utilizes a 2" rear block under the spring instead of a 4" block, and is down rated for GVWR on paper.
There are a couple small differences like the 350 comes with overload springs, but the 250 can be specified with those as well.
Basically, if you find a F250 you like, no reason to not buy it over a F350.
These days there are a couple small details that might be different, but the truck is essentially identical.