Anyone regret going from 3500/2500 series to a 1500 series?

2five7

WKR
I’ve got a 2006 powerstroke diesel. The motor has been gone through and built to be dependable. It had a few tweaks like increasing airflow and some valve work. But, it’s running a “stock” tune to match the specs. So, it’s a puppy dog compared to the power it could have. Yet, it is no comparison between it and a new gasser. Yes, gas motors have come a long ways on power and pulling. But, they pale in comparison to any diesel made in the last 25 years when it comes to actual pulling power.

With that said, the brake pads on my newer half ton are bigger than the brake pads on my older diesel. Times are a changing. The auto makers are definitely making better vehicles. They are better built, stronger, and fit multiple needs that the average family requires. These new trucks are awesome. They’ll last a long time.

It’s funny though to read how many people trade regularly though. In a time when vehicles are being made to last a very long time. The auto makers listened and built what consumers wanted. And consumers no longer seem to want a vehicle to last for three decades.
A 6.0 powerstroke with a stock tune will get out pulled by the new 7.3 gas pretty easily.

Bluesman1148

FNG
Classified Approved
I went from an F250 to a GMC 1500 AT4 In 2019. The 1500 was a good truck, but the fuel tank was terribly small. The 6.2 gas burner was a great motor (and is the motor in my wife’s Yukon), but for me I missed my diesel, so I went back to a AT4HD Diesel and I have to say I am much happier with this truck.

Unclecroc

FNG
Bottom line if you tow anything much over 6000 pounds on a normal basis buy a 3/4 ton other than that there is no advantage in my mind to owning a 3/4 ton over a 1/2 ton.
Unless you simply want a 3/4 ton then in that case get what you want life is too short.

mrcvelo

FNG
I tow 5k lbs SXS trailer most weekends, up and down the hills north of Phoenix plus hunting/camping trips with the family of 4 & dogs around the state. I am mainly looking at used F150 Supercrew V8s although wondering if a higher mileage F250 may be a better choice. The truck will be my daily driver but I primarily work from home so not a big deal either way. I mainly want something which will last for a long time and has a large fuel tank.

I saw one post that 6k+ lbs enters 3/4 ton territory, do others agree on the 6k cutoff? Is a 5k trailer too far too little to justify a 250?

Fatcamp

WKR
I tow 5k lbs SXS trailer most weekends, up and down the hills north of Phoenix plus hunting/camping trips with the family of 4 & dogs around the state. I am mainly looking at used F150 Supercrew V8s although wondering if a higher mileage F250 may be a better choice. The truck will be my daily driver but I primarily work from home so not a big deal either way. I mainly want something which will last for a long time and has a large fuel tank.

I saw one post that 6k+ lbs enters 3/4 ton territory, do others agree on the 6k cutoff? Is a 5k trailer too far too little to justify a 250?

I recently joined a half ton towing group on Facebook. The newer Ford half tons if set up for it haul a bunch of weight. I was very surprised.

5k will be fine behind a half ton.

But doing it most weekends, I'd prefer a 3/4 ton.

Most of what I do a half ton will do. But it's easier on the F250, and on me while doing it.

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider

I do a similar load many weekends with my F-150. It’s a 2021 equipped with the 3.5 ecoboost and the trailer tow package. The tow package adds a trailer brake controller, pro backup assist (I don’t use it but a cool feature for niche uses), and it takes the towing capacity to 11,600.

You will never need a 250 over a modern equipped 150 for what you described. People underestimate these new trucks heavily.

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty straightforward. If you tow, get a 3/4-1 ton diesel . If you don’t tow get a 1/2 ton for lower purchase price, lower cost of ownership , and a much better off-road ride.
I just went from a 1 ton Duramax to a Toyota Tundra and couldn’t be happier.
In the future, if I need to tow something, I will buy a 1 ton.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
I have a F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost and it'll tow more than it should (worried about stopping and control) and I get it that towing you'll use more gas, but this thing uses TONS of gas. I haven't checked the mileage manually, because I don't really want to confirm my suspicions, and the accuracy of the computer mileage. The range of the fuel tank is extremely anoying when towing and proibably around 250 miles or so (withoug getting the gas light). That's my main gripe with the F150. I'm thinking of going back to a 3/4 or 1 ton, and I like desiel for the power, but from everything I've heard with the new emissions, it's not great for the motor and systems for stop and go, or errand type driving. The motors perform best when being run at higher temperatures, under load for a long time, which is when the desiel really shines, but the reality is, that's not most of my driving. Realistcally out of the 20k miles per year driving, I might be towing something 5-6k miles, which isn't really that much and should probably save the $10k and get gas....it'll have the biggest gas tank I can get in it for sure.

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
I have a F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost and it'll tow more than it should (worried about stopping and control) and I get it that towing you'll use more gas, but this thing uses TONS of gas. I haven't checked the mileage manually, because I don't really want to confirm my suspicions, and the accuracy of the computer mileage. The range of the fuel tank is extremely anoying when towing and proibably around 250 miles or so (withoug getting the gas light). That's my main gripe with the F150. I'm thinking of going back to a 3/4 or 1 ton, and I like desiel for the power, but from everything I've heard with the new emissions, it's not great for the motor and systems for stop and go, or errand type driving. The motors perform best when being run at higher temperatures, under load for a long time, which is when the desiel really shines, but the reality is, that's not most of my driving. Realistcally out of the 20k miles per year driving, I might be towing something 5-6k miles, which isn't really that much and should probably save the $10k and get gas....it'll have the biggest gas tank I can get in it for sure.
Does your F-150 have the 36 gallon tank? That is a must have if you’re going to tow. Should be a standard option with most of the tow packages.

SWOHTR

WKR
I don’t have a lot to offer other than think of the brakes and suspension while towing at highway speeds, more so than the get-up-and-go aspect. Figure that a travel trailer is essentially a giant sail, and at 55+ mph bobbing around on the highway I’d say that’s a recipe for sway that would challenge even the best anti-sway/load distro hitches.

Fatcamp

WKR
I don’t have a lot to offer other than think of the brakes and suspension while towing at highway speeds, more so than the get-up-and-go aspect. Figure that a travel trailer is essentially a giant sail, and at 55+ mph bobbing around on the highway I’d say that’s a recipe for sway that would challenge even the best anti-sway/load distro hitches.

Ya, that's one thing that comes up on the half ton FB group, "Just slow down. You have to use good judgement." Sure, I follow those people through miles of construction on the Interstate at 53 mph. Maddening. 🤨

I can pull my rig as fast as I want. Usually set my cruise at 70, and all trailer tires are rated for 81 mph.

It's cool the modern Fords can do it but I'm not seeing the advantage. By the time you add all the options to tow heavy your price is probably way past a base 250 and your resale will be crap. Who's gonna buy a half ton truck that common sense says was used to tow heavy? There is a sweet spot though it seems. The options sheet for the new Fords is eye opening.

My favorite are the half ton fifth wheel groups on FB. I had to leave that group. People using some creative math to mount fifth wheel hitches in a half ton.

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
I went from an F350 to a half ton a few years ago. That only lasted about a year. I've been back in a 3/4 ton for a couple years now, and I don't see myself being without a heavier duty truck for a long time. It's real nice to not worry about whether or not the truck can handle what you're about to put it through.

robtattoo

WKR
I don't tow 'heavy' heavy at all, but i tow an average(?) weight fairly frequently. I use a 2 stall stock trailer, loaded with 2 horses & tack, probably 25-30 weekends a year.
I recently bought a 2018 F150 to replace my old '97 Powerstroke 250.

Towing wasn't really the first thing on my mind, I'll be honest, but having dragged the trailer for the last 3 weekends, up & down Tennessee hills & with a couple hundred interstate miles I have to say, I'm thoroughly impressed. I don't have the heavy tow package option on mine, just the Tow/Haul driving mode & to be honest is actually nicer to pull with than the 3/4 ton.
Fuel economy isn't stellar, averaging 13mpg, but honestly, that's not that different to the old smoker & it's still a dollar per gallon cheaper.