Anyone reloading 180 Partitions in a 300WSM?

I have been feeding my 300 wsm a steady diet of 185 Berger Vld's with 62.2 grains of H4350 pushing them. This has been my most accurate load in my wsm. Muzzle velocity is 2870fps.

My M70 in 300WSM likes the 180 grain Partitions (spitzers). I use 4831SC and off the top of my head I think is 68.5 grains. Actually shot better than at 66.5 grains that I had previously used. If you want more details, send a pm.

My M70 in 300WSM likes the 180 grain Partitions (spitzers). I use 4831SC and off the top of my head I think is 68.5 grains. Actually shot better than at 66.5 grains that I had previously used. If you want more details, send a pm.

PMing you now.

I'm always amazed at how well the 175gr Partitions fly in my 7mag. I always use RL-22. But every rifle has its own quirks on bullets and powder. I bet there's a combination out there that your rifle will like with the 180's.

I just wish the A-max would be sufficient for bigger game. I know the thin jackets would be good enough for deer down here in Mississippi, but bigger game like mulies and elk would be too much for it I figure. I may be wrong. That A-max load was just ridiculously accurate, especially coming from a standard profile barrel and a factory gun. It is the bottom right group on this target.

IMAG1169_zpsqn8vqdey.jpg

I just wish the A-max would be sufficient for bigger game. I know the thin jackets would be good enough for deer down here in Mississippi, but bigger game like mulies and elk would be too much for it I figure. I may be wrong. That A-max load was just ridiculously accurate, especially coming from a standard profile barrel and a factory gun. It is the bottom right group on this target.

IMAG1169_zpsqn8vqdey.jpg

bottom LEFT maybe ?

Here are 2 groups of partitions. I don't have the previous target from the partitions handy. At this point we were trying to get some sort of accuracy. The one on the left is set .125 off the lands. That is where 150gr NBTs shot the best from this gun so we figured we would give that seating depth with the partitions. The right group is what Nosler listed as their most accurate load with 4350 and partitions. They both sucked. The center hole is from a .50 cal Hawken.

download_20151118_091349_zpsnswl1f0r.jpeg

Here are 2 groups of partitions. I don't have the previous target from the partitions handy. At this point we were trying to get some sort of accuracy. The one on the left is set .125 off the lands. That is where 150gr NBTs shot the best from this gun so we figured we would give that seating depth with the partitions. The right group is what Nosler listed as their most accurate load with 4350 and partitions. They both sucked. The center hole is from a .50 cal Hawken.

I would analyze and experiment more with the group on the right. You've got a decent 3 hole group there with a couple flyers. Which rounds were the flyers? Were all five shots with a hot barrel or did you start cold with that group?

They were shot using the OCW, round robin method. One shot from each group, let the barrel cool, repeat. I am not sure which shots are which. The one on the right showed more promise than the left, but dang it was spread out.

Here is a couple of my 300WSM 180 Accubond loads, AB and Partitions shoot about the same. Always work up, safe in my rifle. Using CCI 250 magnum rifle primers. 200 yard target.

IMG_0320_zpsdd03a371.jpg

IMG_0319_zps0bd1f122.jpg

Just an example of a gun's preference for bullets: My factory A-bolt 7mag shoots 175gr Partitions pretty much like your right side 3-shot group without the fliers. But when Barnes came out with their MRX bullets (that they've discontinued) I did up several loads and settled on one with the 160gr MRX. I have a target somewhere that I shot at 400 meters with two holes touching and the third 3/4" away. 100 yard groups make up one hole about a 1/2". Then the best I could get with 160gr Failsafe bullets (which I had a ton of) was about 3" at 100.

Just find a bullet the gun likes, or at least one you can live with.

I know of plenty of guys that use Amax's on Elk here in Az. They all give rave reviews on them. I think they would be fine if they shoot good out of your gun. It is really preference, some people love Berger's on elk, some people despise them. I say shoot the Amax's and do not look back.

I know of plenty of guys that use Amax's on Elk here in Az. They all give rave reviews on them.

It's like everything else.......there are trade-offs. A broadside vital hit on an elk with a thin-jacketed bullet would probably be ok, but I wouldn't want to take a quartering to shot where the bullet needs to break down a shoulder and the vitals. So he would be limiting his shot selection going with the thin jackets. And if there's one thing that I've learned over the years with elk, it's to be prepared for any and all shot angles. I believe that the old adage of "hope for the best, but prepare for the worst" is paramount with elk, especially big bulls.

It's like everything else.......there are trade-offs. A broadside vital hit on an elk with a thin-jacketed bullet would probably be ok, but I wouldn't want to take a quartering to shot where the bullet needs to break down a shoulder and the vitals. So he would be limiting his shot selection going with the thin jackets. And if there's one thing that I've learned over the years with elk, it's to be prepared for any and all shot angles. I believe that the old adage of "hope for the best, but prepare for the worst" is paramount with elk, especially big bulls.

Well said.

download_20151118_091349_zpsnswl1f0r.jpeg

At least the Hawken is on. I only missed 3 with it last week before I took it to the range...
All of these were shot with a cold barrel, 5 shots at a time. I thought the group on the right was going to be money, the first three shots are the closest, then the 2 flyers. I felt the barrel, it wasn't any hotter than it ever was before when we shot it like that.
Afterward, I put some factory Federal Fusion 165s down it that ragholed 3, then rang a 14" gong with it twice at 350. I thought it might be dirty, but would it still have done that afterward? I really am asking, not trying to be arrogant at all. 14 inch targets at 350 isn't a big deal, thats why we are trying to get this gun really dialed in.

Last edited:
Back