Anyone reloading 180 Partitions in a 300WSM?

jwatts

WKR
A friend and I decided to work up loads for our 300s using 180gr Partitions. I have a model 673 300SAUM, he has an X-bolt 300WSM. I had a pile of 178gr A-maxes, some 180 partitions, and some IMR-4350. I was able to get a good load worked up with the cheaper A-max, then replicate it in the 180 partition with similar results. The A-maxes were around a .6 inch group, partitions were a little over .8in. We tried the same with his 300WSM and did not have any luck.

I loaded the A-maxes .020 off the lands for his gun. They ended up well over mag length for the X-bolt. Regardless we tried several powder charges and had it shooting under .5 inch groups. When I replicated the load with the partitions they were still well over mag length. After getting them short enough to fit the mag they ended up being close to .075 off the lands. They shot about a 4 inch group. It was awful. He had some 150gr ballistic tip reloads that shot good out of it, so I measured their OAL and loaded the 5 partitions to that OAL with the most accurate powder charge we found with the A-maxes. I also loaded one that Nosler had marked as their most accurate load in the reloading manual.

He shot those loads today and they sucked as well. The Nosler load hit the same vertical plane, but strung out horizontally over 4 inches. The other load was within 1 inch horizontally, but strung out 3.5 inches vertically. Looks like it is back to the drawing board.

After having written all that, I was wondering, have any of yall ever loaded 180gr Partitions for a 300WSM? If so, what did you end up with? We were trying IMR4350, but I have some 4831, and W760 on hand that we could try if need be. I just want to get an idea of a starting point so we can try and get a mag length cartridge to shoot a decent group.

A friend and I decided to work up loads for our 300s using 180gr Partitions. I have a model 673 300SAUM, he has an X-bolt 300WSM. I had a pile of 178gr A-maxes, some 180 partitions, and some IMR-4350. I was able to get a good load worked up with the cheaper A-max, then replicate it in the 180 partition with similar results. The A-maxes were around a .6 inch group, partitions were a little over .8in. We tried the same with his 300WSM and did not have any luck.

I loaded the A-maxes .020 off the lands for his gun. They ended up well over mag length for the X-bolt. Regardless we tried several powder charges and had it shooting under .5 inch groups. When I replicated the load with the partitions they were still well over mag length. After getting them short enough to fit the mag they ended up being close to .075 off the lands. They shot about a 4 inch group. It was awful. He had some 150gr ballistic tip reloads that shot good out of it, so I measured their OAL and loaded the 5 partitions to that OAL with the most accurate powder charge we found with the A-maxes. I also loaded one that Nosler had marked as their most accurate load in the reloading manual.

He shot those loads today and they sucked as well. The Nosler load hit the same vertical plane, but strung out horizontally over 4 inches. The other load was within 1 inch horizontally, but strung out 3.5 inches vertically. Looks like it is back to the drawing board.

After having written all that, I was wondering, have any of yall ever loaded 180gr Partitions for a 300WSM? If so, what did you end up with? We were trying IMR4350, but I have some 4831, and W760 on hand that we could try if need be. I just want to get an idea of a starting point so we can try and get a mag length cartridge to shoot a decent group.

I don't load partitions for mine, I shoot accubonds because they have a better ballistic coefficiency . I have a Tikka 300 wsm. I shoot a compressed load of 66 grns IMR 4831. When I sighted in my gun this fall I could cover my first three shots with a dime. Ive also read that reloader 17 is specifically made for short mags so maybe keep that in mind.

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
I don't load partitions for mine, I shoot accubonds because they have a better ballistic coefficiency . I have a Tikka 300 wsm. I shoot a compressed load of 66 grns IMR 4831. When I sighted in my gun this fall I could cover my first three shots with a dime. Ive also read that reloader 17 is specifically made for short mags so maybe keep that in mind.

Thanks for the heads up on RL17. We may go that route if I can find some locally. I have some 4831 so we will give it a shot as well. Did you have an issue with the OAL using Accubonds? This WSM was insanely consistent .020 off the lands but it had to be single fed.

I have not had any issues with my OAL. My tikka has a 3 cartridge clip and the bullets feed out of it perfectly. Ive never had a problem to date. my total length is 2.84. Tikkas have a lot of free bore so that length of bullet puts me over .070 off the lands. I realize each gun is different on how they shoot but I hope any of this helps.

If ballistic tips are shooting well out of it then I would try accubonds. It's a great bullet. My buddies savage shoots accubonds and we reload ballistic tips for practice rounds. They have the same bc and hit the same spot verified out to 800 yards. The ballistic tips are cheaper so they get used for target shooting small game and we use the accubonds for big game hunting. I wouldn't fight a bullet. If it's not working I'd move right along to something else. I've had real good luck with hornady sst in my 300 wsm tikka.

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
If ballistic tips are shooting well out of it then I would try accubonds. It's a great bullet. My buddies savage shoots accubonds and we reload ballistic tips for practice rounds. They have the same bc and hit the same spot verified out to 800 yards. The ballistic tips are cheaper so they get used for target shooting small game and we use the accubonds for big game hunting. I wouldn't fight a bullet. If it's not working I'd move right along to something else. I've had real good luck with hornady sst in my 300 wsm tikka.

We had thought about accubonds. From the past few replies it looks like they may be worth a try.

blakeb21

FNG
I have had really good luck with 185 grain Berger VLD's over 62 grains of IMR4350. 2.88 OAL they shoot 3 shots covered by a dime. I had similar results with 180 grain Hornaday SST's with the same powder and OAL, but I think they were loaded with 65 grains and a bit on the hot side. That is out of a stock Winchester Model 70 featherweight.

blakeb21

FNG
The Berger's have a better BC, and are really not much more money than the Hornaday's. I like the Hornaday bullets over Nosler because of the 100 per box vs 50 per box other than that there is not a big difference in Nosler and Hornaday IMHO.

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
I have had really good luck with 185 grain Berger VLD's over 62 grains of IMR4350. 2.88 OAL they shoot 3 shots covered by a dime. I had similar results with 180 grain Hornaday SST's with the same powder and OAL, but I think they were loaded with 65 grains and a bit on the hot side. That is out of a stock Winchester Model 70 featherweight.

I think the max OAL before running into magazine issues was around 2.89". We may look for some VLDs as well.

I have a 300 wsm xbolt that shoots cloverleafs every time with 63.2 gr H4350 and 180 accubonds in norma brass with fed 210M primer (has done well with CCI LRM too) at 2.908 COAL. Can't remember how far that is jumping but I think it's around 0.030". This is where I'd start, theres a reason many bench rest shooters use H4350, very consistent and predictable results.

The factory mag will feed to about 2.960".

185 berger classic hunters shoot well with 64.0 gr H4350 as well but I don't feel as confident in their terminal performance for elk.

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
I have a 300 wsm xbolt that shoots cloverleafs every time with 63.2 gr H4350 and 180 accubonds in norma brass with fed 210M primer (has done well with CCI LRM too) at 2.908 COAL. Can't remember how far that is jumping but I think it's around 0.030". This is where I'd start, theres a reason many bench rest shooters use H4350, very consistent and predictable results.

The factory mag will feed to about 2.960".

185 berger classic hunters shoot well with 64.0 gr H4350 as well but I don't feel as confident in their terminal performance for elk.

That is some good info, especially since it pertains to the same gun we are working with. I will see if we can get our hands on some accubonds.

GFY

Lil-Rokslider
I pulled 17, 180 gr accubonds yesterday. I'm going with Barnes 130 gr TTSX or the 168 gr Bergers. I have had good luck with the Barnes so far and have not even started on a load for the Bergers. I'm getting 3400 fps and sub moa at 400 yrds (farthest I've shot paper) with the Barnes.

let me know if you want the AB's and I would send them to you.

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
I pulled 17, 180 gr accubonds yesterday. I'm going with Barnes 130 gr TTSX or the 168 gr Bergers. I have had good luck with the Barnes so far and have not even started on a load for the Bergers. I'm getting 3400 fps and sub moa at 400 yrds (farthest I've shot paper) with the Barnes.

let me know if you want the AB's and I would send them to you.

Thanks for the offer. PMing you now.

bhylton

WKR
185gr classic hunter 64gr IMR or AA 4350 @ 2.900 in a Browning A-bolt. lot of jump but just fits into the mag. 2845fps with 22in barrel