Anyone Snowshoe or Cross Country/Touring Ski in Off Season? Getting Started Tips?

Whisky

WKR
I just watched a couple quick vids of those Altai's. That would be something I would like for sure. I might buy those, "for her". I would actually use them how they are meant to be used.

Let's take the ditch out of the equation, and say the majority of the use would be on hard pack roads. Do those Altais still offer that CC gliding experience on flat terrain like a traditional ski?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
they don't glide as well as traditional skis- they are shorter (and wider) and have a length of skin built into the bottom, but they still do glide pretty well on packed roads

i5ac5Le.jpg

GxDjrIt.jpg

Sounds like the kind of mixed terrain that the Fischer adventure Nordic ski series would be good for. My wife was researching them and wants the Fischer spider 62 crown xtralite. I'd probably go with one of their wider models for better use in powder

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
I much prefer skiing over snowshoes - walking downhill in the snow is for suckers. There are a lot of ways to ski, but the most fun for me is getting off trail and exploring-old FS roads, cutting through meadows, linking up trails. It's a lot like hunting that way, navigating to weird places. Hot laps on groomed trails is a great workout, but I get bored. If you're in western MT PM me and I can point you at a ton of stuff.

What you want: fishscale base, metal edges, BC bindings, no part of the ski wider than 70mm (so they can fit in tracks if you want). You can go anywhere on these.

All you need to know about avalanche terrain is what it is so that you can stay off of it. The Bruce Tremper book is the bible. It's quite easy to be safe if you just never go on avy terrain. This is easier with the setup above, because anything steep enough to slide is very advanced skiing on that gear.

Backcountry touring (randonnee/alpine touring) is a totally different animal. The rule of thumb is you need to be able to ski anything in the resort in any conditions before you take it up. Then you need all the avy gear, training, and mentorship. It's about as involved as hunting to get seriously into.

All that said, snowshoes are cheap and easy and a great way to get out, especially with family. I just find skiing (both kinds) a lot more fun.

Edit: advice for getting started? Rent both and give it a shot. The learning curve is steeper for skis, so don't write them off if the first couple of times sucks. Consider a class, you'll only need to go to one, after that just dink around.

Last edited:
I've snowshoed exactly one time, in a blizzard in the moutains of West Virginia when the temp was hovering around 8 degrees. I absolutely loved it! We rented snowshoes (they had shut down the ski lift) and headed out on the x-country trails for about 6-8 mile loop. It was much easier than I expected (even through the ungroomed areas through the forest) and I just really had fun overall.

Get out there and give it a try!

Whisky

WKR
Sounds like the kind of mixed terrain that the Fischer adventure Nordic ski series would be good for. My wife was researching them and wants the Fischer spider 62 crown xtralite. I'd probably go with one of their wider models for better use in powder
After looking at these, the Fischer Traverse 78 does seem like it would be a good fit. I'd think for her purpose she'd be better suited with something like that vs the Hok. Unfortunately, now I want the Hok for my self after looking into them.

I am a snowshoe guy mostly, but decided to pick up a set of backcountry skis to use on the forest service roads to get access to the woods. The roads all have gates down low so getting to the high country takes forever on a set of snow shoes.

wyodan

WKR
After looking at these, the Fischer Traverse 78 does seem like it would be a good fit. I'd think for her purpose she'd be better suited with something like that vs the Hok. Unfortunately, now I want the Hok for my self after looking into them.
I would get the longer set of Hoks if you do. I have the shorter set which I thought would be more maneuverable, but I don't think that little bit of length savings was worth it at the cost of extra glide and flotation.

Phaseolus

WKR
I much prefer skis, I grew up on skis and as the son of a snow and avalanche researcher us kids spent a ton of time on the steep and deep. Here’s an old photo of Dad setting charges on a Berthoud Pass avalanche path. Life magazine wanted photos of a moving avalanche and asked the USFS for assistance. Snow conditions were very stable so Dad set a series of charges across the starting zone, much more than would be normally used. In this photo Dad is waving the photographer back as he had started climbing down unroped.
When the charges went off 53836170-5642-4B98-A61D-9ED675EAC3B8.jpegthe photographer dropping his camera when the pressure wave hit, no photos!

image.jpg
Karhu 10th Mountain Division is the classic all around versatile ski. Metal edges, fish scale for skin and waxless base. I can drop a knee to turn or power wedge for descent control. I put a old Savage 24C in my pack and ski around FS roads hunting grouse, squirrels and what ever else is in season.
When I ski raced in New England in the 80’s/90’s we would see the revived 10th Mountain Division guys training at different NY, VT, NH resorts. They we’re clad in all white gear, rifles and packs skiing down black diamond runs. It was cool as hell and started my intrest in skiing with guns 😀
Now I have kids who start training in ‘23 with Anschutz’s and skis.

Last edited:
For you guys with the Altai skis, are you able to use a regular hiking boot with those?
I just watched one of their videos on web site and it shows the person wearing a leather hiking boot and getting around good. From the width of binding looks like you could also use packs. They look like a cool ski tool to have.
edit: I don’t own them yet…
damn rokslide

hunting1

WKR
Love it! We live near the Sandia's in NM so spend a lot of time snow shoeing when there is snow. Costco has a great deal to get started on shoes, poles, and bag under $100. Advice, don't try and step backwards, have fun!

wyodan

WKR
For you guys with the Altai skis, are you able to use a regular hiking boot with those?
Yes you can. It's all I use. But it is not as stable as if you were to use a ski boot with the appropriate binding.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would get the longer set of Hoks if you do. I have the shorter set which I thought would be more maneuverable, but I don't think that little bit of length savings was worth it at the cost of extra glide and flotation.

I would agree. I started with the shorter pair and then got the longer ones (gave my wife the shorter ones), longer ones glide better and offer more flotation.

I have a full on ski setup Fischer Excursion 88's w/ 3 pin bindings and Alpina Alaska boots- just need to become a better skier is all :D

seww

WKR
I would agree. I started with the shorter pair and then got the longer ones (gave my wife the shorter ones), longer ones glide better and offer more flotation.

I have a full on ski setup Fischer Excursion 88's w/ 3 pin bindings and Alpina Alaska boots- just need to become a better skier is all :D
Let me know when you give up on the skis and I'll take them off your hands :)

Looking into those karhu 10th mountain skis, it looks like they were replaced by the madshus panorama m68. They sound very nice!

The fischer spider 62 is a little misleading; the underfoot width is actually 52 and the front tip of the ski is 62 wide. Just FYI

Whisky

WKR
I ordered the Hoks. Given the fact that she won't use them a lot, I can also benefit from the purchase.
I don't think traditional CC skis would work very well in our geography anyway.