Anyone Snowshoe or Cross Country/Touring Ski in Off Season? Getting Started Tips?

65Grendel

Lil-Rokslider
I also recommend Avy gear, some practice and, at a minimum, reading the book “how to stay alive in avalanche terrain” 30+ times.

Avy courses for snowshoers are likley hard to find, but SSers can and do die in avys every year. Also, people have died in avalanches in every single month of the year in CO. Avy conditions can change very quickly and very dramatically.
This is the best advice in this thread. If you dont have any local avy courses find someone with experience and learn from them.

As far as gear, finding a local ski swap and starting out with some good used gear is a great way to get started. If you are close to Sheridan, WY drop me a IM. I do a ton of backcountry skiing and some cross country as well.

Looking into those karhu 10th mountain skis, it looks like they were replaced by the madshus panorama m68. They sound very nice!

The fischer spider 62 is a little misleading; the underfoot width is actually 52 and the front tip of the ski is 62 wide. Just FYI
K2 bought Karhu and another company I cant remember a few years ago and rebranded XC line into Madshus. They are a fun ski.
Got out my AT skis today as we got dumped on last night.

def90

WKR
The Altai skis provide a pretty good compromise between ski and snowshoe- get you into a lot more places than Nordic skis, but not as much as snowshoes. On gentler ground they outpace snowshoes by quite a bit.

They turn better than Nordic skis, but not nearly as well as downhill/AT skis. I agree with above poster, the pole (Tiak) is better than trekking poles for turning (and slowing)

You can use your regular boots with them as well (with their universal bindings).

https://us-store.altaiskis.com/product/hok-skis-with-universal-pivot-bindings-copy/

I'll second the Altai skis. Showshoes suck, and most places my friends ever want to go snowshoeing in Colorado I can usually just follow them using regular boots. The Altais won't posthole in the spring like snowshoes can and are more maneuverable than nordic skis.

seww

WKR
Anyone got some inputs on bindings? I got a hold of some cool skis and need some bindings.
It stands between the NNN BC Magnum manuals or the old tried and true NN 75mm.

The 75mm are way cheaper no doubt, and seems very reliable as there are basically no parts that can break. But I had some NNN's on my old skis and they are nice. Sturdy and stable.

Any last suggestions?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't have a lot of luck with NNN bindings- ice would either get into the binding or the metal clip on the shoe which would make it very difficult to the boot back in. I went back to 3 pins.

seww

WKR
I didn't have a lot of luck with NNN bindings- ice would either get into the binding or the metal clip on the shoe which would make it very difficult to the boot back in. I went back to 3 pins.
That problem I had myself too.
Never had the 3-pin but they sure look pretty damn reliable. The skis are wood so won't be any downhill skiing with sharp turns.

seww

WKR
old school wood skis need old school bindings :D
Hehe that is true!
The guy didn't know what he had on his hands, these skis are easy $3-$400 new, and they are totally unused! Got them for $80. A tad short at 6 ft but should be enough. I'll never find this brand here in the US again so :)

seww

WKR
@mtwarden since you are very knowledgeable about this area, what are some good poles that can be used for skiing in winter and hiking the rest of the year?

@mtwarden since you are very knowledgeable about this area, what are some good poles that can be used for skiing in winter and hiking the rest of the year?
I use the REI Traverse poles for hiking and skiing. Even carry one when snowboarding sometimes if I'm on a mountain with lots of cat track. Collapses and rides on the outside of the backpack. The baskets are pretty easy to get on/off.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

I use a carbon pole (BD Alpine Cork) backpacking, but for skiing/snowshoeing I like their (Black Diamond) Traverse- it's a sturdier pole, has a lot of adjustment in length (skiing I tend use a little longer pole), still pretty light and they make a version that is whippet ready. There are certain trips I feel more comfortable having the whippet head with.

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/product/traverse-wr-2-ski-poles/

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/product/alpine-whippet-attachment/

if you don't need a whippet, they make a non whippet ready version too

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/product/traverse-ski-poles-1/?colorid=8154

seww

WKR
I use the REI Traverse poles for hiking and skiing. Even carry one when snowboarding sometimes if I'm on a mountain with lots of cat track. Collapses and rides on the outside of the backpack. The baskets are pretty easy to get on/off.
Nice, thanks for the tip!

seww

WKR
I use a carbon pole (BD Alpine Cork) backpacking, but for skiing/snowshoeing I like their (Black Diamond) Traverse- it's a sturdier pole, has a lot of adjustment in length (skiing I tend use a little longer pole), still pretty light and they make a version that is whippet ready. There are certain trips I feel more comfortable having the whippet head with.

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/product/traverse-wr-2-ski-poles/

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/product/alpine-whippet-attachment/

if you don't need a whippet, they make a non whippet ready version too

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/product/traverse-ski-poles-1/?colorid=8154
No whippet needed for me :)

Man, got too many purchases planned. I still need a 3-pin binding, some boots and poles...

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone got some inputs on bindings? I got a hold of some cool skis and need some bindings.
It stands between the NNN BC Magnum manuals or the old tried and true NN 75mm.

The 75mm are way cheaper no doubt, and seems very reliable as there are basically no parts that can break. But I had some NNN's on my old skis and they are nice. Sturdy and stable.

Any last suggestions?
I've never had any trouble with manual NNN BCs and have put those magnums on a bunch of skis. Any icing problems can be solved by poking at them with the pole, not a lot of moving parts. You do often have to clean the boot of snow before getting in. The reasons I like them versus 3 pins are a more natural stride and I've found it hard to find good 3 pin boots, at least in the light touring category. The manual part is important though, I would not recommend autos.

It's possible to blow up 3 pins too, especially the cheap ones, by popping off the bail. The heavier-duty ones like the Voiles are pretty bomber. I've found them to be just as finnicky as a NNN binding as you need to be sure you have the holes centered on the pins or else you can wind up punching extra holes in the duckbill.

Of course, with wooden skis there is an aesthetic argument too, then you'll want some nice leather boots...

Winter is by far the best season of the year!
My ski's are attatched to a motor though!
Slides are no joke, definatly been around a few and a few funerals because of them.20200409_131905.jpg

seww

WKR
I've never had any trouble with manual NNN BCs and have put those magnums on a bunch of skis. Any icing problems can be solved by poking at them with the pole, not a lot of moving parts. You do often have to clean the boot of snow before getting in. The reasons I like them versus 3 pins are a more natural stride and I've found it hard to find good 3 pin boots, at least in the light touring category. The manual part is important though, I would not recommend autos.

It's possible to blow up 3 pins too, especially the cheap ones, by popping off the bail. The heavier-duty ones like the Voiles are pretty bomber. I've found them to be just as finnicky as a NNN binding as you need to be sure you have the holes centered on the pins or else you can wind up punching extra holes in the duckbill.

Of course, with wooden skis there is an aesthetic argument too, then you'll want some nice leather boots...
I have used the NNN before on some plastic skis back in Sweden but never on wood. Have friends who use them on wooden skis and it works fine according to them. They are more expensive though... I can find some cheap NN75 mm for $20.

I might go the cheaper route just because I won't be out that much anyways, just a couple of times per year.
And yes, wood skis demands some sick looking boots!