Anyone solo backcountry hunting over the age of 60?

It’s been said, “you don’t quit hunting because you’re old, you get old because you quit hunting”. I don’t plan on getting old. 70 years young now
I think that's exactly right. I was able to get into shape by going on monthly 3-5 day scouting trips into the mountain areas I planned to hunt. Then once a week I'd hike up to the top of a local hill (600' elevation gain).
When I started earlier this summer I weighed 207 lbs. My knees hurt and I had occasional back spasms if I worked too hard in the yard.

After I returned a few days ago from my first elk hunt I found I'm in much better shape. I came home weighing 193 lbs and I have fewer back and knee problems. I hunted solo for 6 days and ultimately settled for a cow elk on my last day of the hunt. Packers came to my camp 11 miles from the TH to help pack me out.

Because I hunted alone I went slowly and watched every step. I rested when I needed to, but kept on pushing and eventually I was able to reach back into all the areas I wanted to hunt and get above the elk by the time the thermals switched in the morning.

I did steal some of my mom's Celebrex and took them daily starting a few days before my hunt and every day during the hunt. I think they helped. In the end it's the regular (hard-core) exercise that you get from carrying gear up a mountain and over miles of deadfall that make the difference.

I'll be 67 next year and look forward to my first bull. In a way I was lucky to only get a cow elk and next year I think I'll try to find a hunting partner.

Attachments

• IMG_4238.jpeg
    IMG_4238.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 19

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, it seems to be a never ending journey.
I just got back yesterday from a quick overnighter in the Frank Church.
Kuiu mountain star 2P tent, klymit insulated pad (it now has a small leak), stone glacier chilkoot 15 degree bag.
I have a gazillion sleep pads and they ALL leak. Still searching for the one.
I backpack quite a bit and hunting season is just around the corner so I'll be using different setups. I have an Argali 2p and 1p and will be using the 2p with the half nest this next weekend.......gonna hike into a basin and fish some lakes while taking the rifle for a hike. I'm not an avid ultralite guy but I do try to go as lite as possible. Always seems I'm at around 40 pounds no matter what I bring.

Randy

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Well, it seems to be a never ending journey.
I just got back yesterday from a quick overnighter in the Frank Church.
Kuiu mountain star 2P tent, klymit insulated pad (it now has a small leak), stone glacier chilkoot 15 degree bag.
I have a gazillion sleep pads and they ALL leak. Still searching for the one.
I backpack quite a bit and hunting season is just around the corner so I'll be using different setups. I have an Argali 2p and 1p and will be using the 2p with the half nest this next weekend.......gonna hike into a basin and fish some lakes while taking the rifle for a hike. I'm not an avid ultralite guy but I do try to go as lite as possible. Always seems I'm at around 40 pounds no matter what I bring.

Randy
Great, thanks for the info. This year we're just doing our northwoods and will not be in backcountry, so going with his winter tent, and Exped Dura 8R's, along with a couple of underpads. He's got his mummy and I picked up the Alps Outdoorz Redwood Canvas -10. But am training hard physically, planning for a western hunt with him in 2 years and hopefully as many as we can return to after that. Starting to put together the backpacking gear. Thanks again.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great, thanks for the info. This year we're just doing our northwoods and will not be in backcountry, so going with his winter tent, and Exped Dura 8R's, along with a couple of underpads. He's got his mummy and I picked up the Alps Outdoorz Redwood Canvas -10. But am training hard physically, planning for a western hunt with him in 2 years and hopefully as many as we can return to after that. Starting to put together the backpacking gear. Thanks again.
Certainly. You'll love it.
Rokslide is a great place to be for finding out about western hunting and backpack gear.

Randy

Can't beat backpack hunting. We do it exclusively. I'm a spritely 65 and have only been hunting for 3 and a bit years but love and more often than not do it on my own. Keeps you young and fit. Just need to try to keep your weights in check. Modern gear is so good these days. I can do without most luxury items , and even a meal or two as long as I got a coffee or two in me I'm good. Life is way too short.

Samdunc

FNG
Hi I don't post much here. I mostly browse. I have to chime in here though. I am 62 and can't do what I did in my 40' s but I still get back in 8 to 10 miles from the road with what I carry on my back. You can't stop the deline that comes with age but you can slow it down. Eating right and working out helps and that's harder to do as you age but more important that ever. Keep at it and never surrender

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Hi I don't post much here. I mostly browse. I have to chime in here though. I am 62 and can't do what I did in my 40' s but I still get back in 8 to 10 miles from the road with what I carry on my back. You can't stop the deline that comes with age but you can slow it down. Eating right and working out helps and that's harder to do as you age but more important that ever. Keep at it and never surrender
Perfectly said. It's a war to get up every day and decide to train, knowing it's going to hurt like hell. But there isn't an alternative. Move, or turn to weak stone.

I just finished a short goat trip in BC. I certainly overdid it a bit and cut the trip short by one day as I wore myself out with 9-12hr a day on the boots. I really enjoyed the alone time on the mountain. A guy spends a bit more time "reflecting" as he gets older!
9 12hr days is pretty damn good that's for sure. Keep it up.

Beendare

WKR
Im 66 now, and did the last week of ID elk solo.

I sure do appreciate trek poles for those downhills…and I sure did’t appreciate the one 8 mile day with almost 8,000’ total in elevation change.

If my wife knew some of the nasty holes I end up in sometimes, she would blow a gasket.

I try to hunt smarter not longer but you have to go where the elk are…

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just got back from a 3 day mule deer hun- 37 miles (9500' of gain!!!!)- no animals were hurt in the making of this trip! :D

I'm sore!

37EgGFe.jpg

7QTbFPA.jpg

v3ECp9z.jpg

Last edited:

Mtndawger

FNG
Im 66 now, and did the last week of ID elk solo.

I sure do appreciate trek poles for those downhills…and I sure did’t appreciate the one 8 mile day with almost 8,000’ total in elevation change.

If my wife knew some of the nasty holes I end up in sometimes, she would blow a gasket.

I try to hunt smarter not longer but you have to go where the elk are…
True that about your wife! I started carrying an Inreach. It helps her feel less nervous about the whole scenario.