Anyone tried the hoka boots?

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a firefighter dealing with plantars fasciitis and some other foot pain. The hoka running shoes have been money, anyone tried the hoka boots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunterjmj

WKR
I started wearing Hoka shoes after dealing peroneal tendenitis. Wore the dang boot for 3 months then the Dr recommended Hokas. It's been 2 years and no issues. I also wear Hoffman boots without issue. The only problem I have with Hokas are the price and they don't last me very long. I'm on my third pair in 2 years.

Gone4Days

WKR
I wear Hoka Kaha’s. They are amazing (IMO). I wear Hoka’s at work and I have Hoka Speedgoats for hiking and trail running so I decided to try their boots for last season. I’m in love. So comfortable and light. No break in period. Highly recommend you try them. I used them on an AZ coues hunt with lots of rocky/mountain terrain. I posted a review after the hunt below.

IMG_6030.jpeg

Kurts86

WKR
What is it about Hoka that's so revolutionary?
They were somewhat of a cult classic running shoe for over cushioning their soles moon boot style. I think most of their success with boots are carry overs from their running shoe business.

I run speed goat gtx mids and they are fine for muddy park hikes and turkey hunts. They aren’t particularly supportive or durable but none of the cross over trail shoes really are.

If you think of them like the lighter weight Solomon boots and less a kenetrek leather boot they are complete in their space.

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the Hoka Kaha boots and so far like them. Not as soft and cushioned as my Hoka shoes, but very nice on my beet up feet. But nice and just as described by Kurts86. I love my Kennetrecks but these have a place as well. I was searching for a lighter weight boot for easier hikes with the wife.

Dented

WKR
@Kurts86 now that is a solid description! I might give them a try as a running shoe. For me, Zamberlins are a prefect hiking boot and Hoffman are my only choice for Pacs.

OP
J

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
REI has em on sale right now for $95 instead of $150

ArrowHunt

FNG
The hoka boots are nice but dont last as long I get maybe a season and a half out of them

I bought the Kaha 1's, they were the most comfortable boots I've ever worn but the sole started coming apart very quickly which was apparently a known problem and they discontinued them and rolled out the 2's with a new sole.

I couldn't get anyone from Kaha on the phone or to respond to any emails but the store I bought them from was awesome and swapped me out for a pair of the 2's. I never wore the 2's other than trying them on in the store because I had already bought some Danners in the mean time that I really liked. I tried to sell them but no interest so they sit in my closet but I'll probably dig them out and wear them this fall. Looking at the tread they changed the failure point completely and I don't have any reason to believe there would be an issue with them.

So take this for what it's worth since I haven't had any time on the 2's.

OP
J

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll give some feedback on them. But so far they are incredibly comfortable.

wyosteve

WKR
I just picked up a pair. First impression- as mentioned, very comfortable. FWIW, I had to go down a half size from what I usually wear. Normally a 12, but they felt too loose and long. 11.5 fits perfectly.

Stalker69

WKR
Damn, you guys with planter fasciitis and wearing Hokas are lucky. I am wearing some right now and have been for the last year and a half, and my feet are still killing me, bad. They are comfortable, but they do nothing for my planter fasciitis.

OP
J

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
Stalker, go to a place that sells super feet, and get some for your EXACT foot shape. They have like 6-7 various styles. Hope this helps brother. It’s helped me quite a bit.

Stalker69

WKR
I had sheep feet custom insoles made, and have tried a ton of different brands and I just can’t find any thing that helps. Thanks man

OP
J

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck brother. The only other thing I’ve heard people try is lots more barefoot walking, yoga, try running again if you’ve stopped and these deals called toe spreaders. Wear em for an hour as you wind down before bed.

I've had a couple pairs of Hokas, boots and shoes, as has my wife. Comfy for sure, but not durable at all. Barely getting 150 miles out of the running shoes. So far I've had much better luck (and comfort) with Altras. I like the Lone Peak a lot, and the Olympus if you like more maximal cushioning is really nice. Foot shape is much more natural, too, which IMO is conducive to better foot health.

8grenade

FNG
Love em! Goofy looking for sure, but once you get past that, VERY comfortable and excellent traction. Not the most supportive boot/shoe of course, but that's to be expected. If I'm not carrying a heavy pack, they are a pleasure to wear.