Anyone use pack goats?

parshal

WKR
Goats would be vulnerable. Llamas will kill a predator just like a mule. Google around for guard llamas. We bought ours to protect the goats.

OP
C

crazyhawksfan

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys interesting stuff so far! I'm thinking it'd be kinda awesome to try using goats. Only thing that sucks is we're four guys so for 2 weeks need to pack in alot of gear and food. Thinking we may need a small heard! Maybe we should stick with horses!?

Beastmode

WKR
Hey guys interesting stuff so far! I'm thinking it'd be kinda awesome to try using goats. Only thing that sucks is we're four guys so for 2 weeks need to pack in alot of gear and food. Thinking we may need a small heard! Maybe we should stick with horses!?

Might want to go wit bigger animals as you said. 2 weeks with 4 guys is a lot of gear/food. Especially if you get a few animals down. Either that or multiple trips with smaller animals.

AGPank

WKR
My dad had a good friend who used goats. He published an article in bow hunter magazine years ago. I can try to get a copy from him if you are interested. Some things I remember from hunting stories are:
1. Cost - goats are less than llamas, horses, mules
2. Packing - a full size goat could pack a load like a llama

parshal

WKR
That's curious about not spooking animals. Goats can be kind of noisy, way more than llamas. I wonder if the elk would be curious about that strange noise.

AGPank

WKR
His experience was that the animal sounds weren't as odd as the sound/smells of humans.

It's been a long time since I've ridden horses, but we used to ride right up on elk all the time and get curios looks that I don't get on foot.

If I was a good Indian I would bow hunt from horseback.

WKR
I know it's an old thread but I'd like to hear more about highlining llamas. I always screw to ground. Lots of places a highline would be way easier

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

6x6

FNG
I have also heard and read what has been detailed so far, on llamas. I also understand that goats will always want to be with you, so you take them hunting with you each day. Llamas will stay in camp and relax with no issues. Lastly, I've always wondered if llamas are a little more of a deterrance to mountian lions, than goats? That would suck to come back to camp, one of your goats are gone, and you're now on the hook finacially, if you rented them. If I were to do it, it would be llamas in my camp.

I'm getting into goat packing this year. After tuns of research I decided to go with goats. They are ton of work and take a lot of time. Conditioning, training, and care. Way more than I had Anticipated. I'm a fan of Packgoats.com tons of great information