APA King Cobra

Will_m

WKR
Anybody have personal experience with this manufacturer? Was looking at the KC and if I can unload a switchback xt and elite impulse 31 to help offset my cost, I might pick one up. Never seen one in person nor handled it though so it's definitely a pure gamble for the hell of it.

mgray

FNG
I’ve been down this road many times. I’ve never been brave enough to pony up and buy one without seeing or shooting it. I will say there are very few negative reviews about any APA bow.

dtrkyman

WKR
I shot them at ATA a while back, great bows, most reviews claim they draw way long so you may need a different draw length setting than you think, though most Mathews draw long as well but not as long as these.

Going from the bows you listed you will be shocked initially at the draw cycle, that speed bow will climb to max lbs quickly and drop off into the valley abruptly, after some time you will get used to it but a lot of people can not get past it initially.

Their bows have some great features, main issue is dealers here in the states, not sure how a warranty issue would be to get handled?

I would say go somewhere and shoot a speed bow like a Hoyt with a turbo cam, or whatever is the fastest bow you can get your hands on and se if you don't mind the harsh draw cycle.

Draw cycles don't bother me much, but it does take some shooting to get the muscle memory to adjust.

MattB

WKR
Buying without shooting is a bad way to buy a bow. It's the archery equivalent of getting a mail-order bride.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Well I own and shoot the black mamba 33 by APA. Its a great bow, regularly shoot i long distance, draw weight is 90lbs, DL 28.5 shoot 600 grain arrows out to 130-140'ish yds, I still have room on the housing, just getting close. POssibly squeak out 150. Arrow speed is just over. 300 fps.

Their cams are based off the bowtechs or use to be. The bows themselves are super tuneable, I would argue better then bowtech to be honest. Do not use APA's instructions for tuning the bows, the manual is complete garbage and you will want to throw the bow in the woods. Use the link below if you get one to tune it.

tuning instruction

3-6 arrows is what it took me to be shooting bullet holes with bareshafts. initially it took me awhile to get use to the bow and how it shot. The issue is the I think it is called reflex makes the bow a little sensitive to hand torque, where I never had no issue with matthews, Draw lenght is like 1/2" long on their mods compared to matthews. My matthews I am 29, apa is 28.5.