AR-15 Scope Recs

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Looking for recommendations for an AR scope…

red dot or holographic?

Magnifier?

Merry Christmas to all!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on the use.

I won't be shooting my AR 15 pistol out past 300 yards, so I use a Holosun 503 red dot zero'd at 36 yards, with no magnifier.

If I wanted to shoot over 300 yards with it, I would get an LVPO.

KHNC

WKR
I have a Vortex Strike Eagle on one of my AR's 1-6 x 24. Works great. I will also be selling a "NEW Condition" Trijicon RMR 2 next week if you are interested. You would need to buy the mount kit for AR. Comes with mount for FNP 45 . Selling for 350 shipped. 649 retail

Dirtbag

WKR
Go aimpoint if you can, built to last and the battery life is insane, you can leave it on continuously for literally years. I wouldnt buy the magnifier, you'll likely not use it if your main shooting is at close range at torso sized targets, even out to a few hundred yards. If you need more precision than that you'll likely be better served with a low power variable.

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with others. Depending on use - for shorter ranges = holographic or red dot (eotech or aimpoint). Longer range - LPVO in the 1-4/6 range.

I do like the 36 yard zero to keep it simple for either setup.

JFK

WKR
I shot my a buddy’s ACOG and it was great. I wasn’t willing to spend that kind of money on my AR since I really just use it for plinking, so bought a fixed 4x from primary arms and very happy with it. I believe they discontinued the 4x and have 3x and 5x now but it’s the same basic design and reticle. It’s got a larger horseshoe reticle with smaller center aiming point inside that on a vertical crosshair. Very intuitive reticle that works great from 10 to several hundred yards.

WCB

WKR
Im guessing this is a standard 16" barrel volume shooting gun? I have a 3-15 Tactical scope with Mil Dot reticle on mine.

What is the intended use?

I use a red dot for everything. I have one with a magnifier on my 16” grendel and Ill hunt everything with it out to 400yds.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Aim point comp m2 for all close range shooting. If the gun is dedicated for 100 yards and in, it’s tough to beat. If you are looking at something more versatile the Vortex Strike Eagle will work ok at 1 power then works well at longer ranges too (can crank down to 6 or 8 power depending on the model). Either way, don’t limit your self at something starting at 3 or 4 power unless you plan on doing nothing at close range.

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
It really depends on what you are using it for. I have a Burris RT6 on mine and I am pretty happy with it. Next AR will have a more long range scope.

CCH

WKR
I echo the "what for?" sentiment. My AR has a Leupold 1-4x and is meant to be as light as possible but work from near to farish. My .300 BO pistol wears a Sig Red Dot. If I was serious about varmints, I'd consider a higher powered scope for my carbine.

HOT ROD

WKR
The sbr has a aimpoint pro and the 16-inc barrel is a 1-6 vortex both have a 36 yard zero. It all depends on Ur preference U cannot go wrong with aimpoint or Ecotech or a 1-6 scope of Ur choice...

OP
Carrot Farmer

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Target shooting/varmits would be intended usE

Range would be less than 300yd

Actual_Cryptid

Lil-Rokslider
For varmints, pick your favorite rifle scope. The only changes are you'll likely want a cantilever mount. The Aero Precision one piece mounts do the trick pretty well.

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
Target shooting/varmits would be intended usE

Range would be less than 300yd

Look into a 1-6x LVPO and use a one piece cantilever mount as suggested above. Which one to get is completely dependent on your budget.

IMO Red dot is king up close. Aim point t2 is top of the heap for performance and durability and cost. Mine rides in a laruse mount. Lower $$$ aim points are also good including their patrol optic. Eotech is worth a look but also $$$. I have a vortex. Actually 2, and quite a bit more of their gear. I have used my warranty on about 1/4 of my vortex stuff. I wouldn’t trust it for a defense gun.

magnification is easy to overdue on a 556 IMO. My “precision“ AR wears a 3-9x. It is plenty of glass for me but I don’t tag coyotes at long yards on the regular. I think a 1-6x or a 1-8x is a good magnified option for an AR.

if you want the best of both worlds get a red dot with a 3x or 6x magnifier.