Archery Griz

hunt'n'photos

I had hunted for two seasons prior to finally harvesting my first Archery Griz. Last year after some pretty intense situations I was able to make it happen on a spot and stalk hunt along the Talkeetna river here in Alaska with this 6'5" boar. Now with one under my belt I am going to be heading back out this spring to try and find a big bear!

shanevg

That looks awesome! I need to shoot a black bear with my bow before I go after a grizz but a grizz is definitely on my bucket list!

OP
hunt'n'photos

hunt'n'photos

Shane, I have tried for 3 years now to take a black bear. I have had a few opportunities, but they were pretty small bears. I got the Griz out of the way so I can focus on a black bear and or a bigger griz!

shanevg

Shane, I have tried for 3 years now to take a black bear. I have had a few opportunities, but they were pretty small bears. I got the Griz out of the way so I can focus on a black bear and or a bigger griz!
You are very lucky to live in Alaska and have the opportunities to harvest these bruins over the counter! I am definitely jealous. I'm hoping that sometime soon, Montana or Idaho will start having a limited entry grizz hunt. Seems like they definitely have enough now!

OP
hunt'n'photos

hunt'n'photos

Thanks! I agree, we are incredibly fortunate up here. Good luck with your quest! I am addicted!

evan williams

Alaska is the state that I want to live in eventually. I was fortunate to compete in Fairbanks while I was in college and JUST FELL IN LOVE!!! It truly is the last frontier and the selection of species and vast landscapes is just incredible. Congrats on a GREAT animal and all the best of luck on your black bear and BIGGER GRIZ!!

luke moffat

Administrator
Nice work Cory!!! That is freaking awesome man. I need to put down the rifle just enough to try to go after one on a certain salmon stream I have in mind. Maybe you can borrow a packraft and we can hunt it together.

OP
hunt'n'photos

hunt'n'photos

I am in! I will own a packraft in the not so distant future! Hopefully for sure by the salmon season! I am really looking at that big rig SB!

luke moffat

Administrator
Right on Cory. The little I was able to use the Big Rig (got it late October just before freeze up) I was very impressed. Granted 3 times the weight of a standard packraft, but it can also haul 3 times the weight. :D