Archery- In front of or behind cover?

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
When you are setting up on a bull that you think is coming in do you set up behind or in front of cover? Have you ever done one and the moment came and you wished you had done the other?

In front.

Don't move too much, but they don't pick you out too well.

Don't get hung up on ranging then drawing. You get that much movement. Either range them or draw on them. So have have your chit together.

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
You missed a choice. ElkNut will tell you beside.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm a WT hunter, so it is natural for me to setup behind.
Last year in AZ on a cow hunt, I was setup in-between. Large juniper behind me and a small juniper in front. A herd of Elk walked out into the open while I was still seated, rookie mistake. As I started to get up, a couple of the cows spotted me. At that point, I was afraid to get up, so I sat and watched for a couple minutes as they slowly left the same way the came into the open area. Other than "Don't sit down", any other suggestions for this situation. I thought that if I had setup behind the large Juniper, I would have gotten off a shot.

OP
B

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
Always in front guys, you don't get immediately busted all the time?

It seems to me a that when we conceptualize it we think about it in absolute terms. Either you are in front of cover and have good shooting ability and get busted straight away, or you are behind cover and hidden from elk that you can't shoot because of obstructions. Seems to me most field situations are gonna be more complex than that.

I like the idea of reading each situation differently but lots of folks are hardcore advocates of ALWAYS as much in front as possible as above posts indicate. My question for them is do you get busted right away? Do you wear face mask/ ghillie suit?

Hunting blinds exist for a reason. Hiding behind cover works for concealment better than in front of it. Ancient blinds exist in archaeological sites all over the world. For bowhunting with modern vertical bows, is the risk of being seen easier worth the reward of having better shooting lanes?

Grant K

FNG

It seems to me a that when we conceptualize it we think about it in absolute terms. Either you are in front of cover and have good shooting ability and get busted straight away, or you are behind cover and hidden from elk that you can't shoot because of obstructions. Seems to me most field situations are gonna be more complex than that.

I like the idea of reading each situation differently but lots of folks are hardcore advocates of ALWAYS as much in front as possible as above posts indicate. My question for them is do you get busted right away? Do you wear face mask/ ghillie suit?

Hunting blinds exist for a reason. Hiding behind cover works for concealment better than in front of it. Ancient blinds exist in archaeological sites all over the world. For bowhunting with modern vertical bows, is the risk of being seen easier worth the reward of having better shooting lanes?
I'm not a fan of "always" but this is one of those cases where it's like 95% at least, set up in front unless there is a really obvious reason not to, if you are getting busted you are too far away from cover or you are moving too much or both...

FWIW I don't wear gloves, a facemask, a ghillie suit, or even camo all the time, look before you set up to make sure you aren't creating an odd silhouette against the background, and then put your back against a tree and hold still...

Gerbdog

WKR
In front of, and if you got a hat on, tilt your head so the eyes (yours) are a little better hidden. Camo works by breaking up your pattern, if your behind a tree your a moving silhouette unless you have another tree/bush right behind you still.

11boo

WKR

The risk is nearly non existent if the wind is called right and you don’t move when he is looking at you. YouTube is full of elk walking right up to people exposed.

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
In front. I was nervous about it my first time too until I had a cow and calf come within 5 yards of me. I was standing in front of a big cedar tree wearing brown pants and a grey hoody. Not a bit of camo. They had no idea I was there until they passed and got wind of me.

Geewhiz

WKR
In front?? You guys are crazy!! :ROFLMAO:

Generally I'm behind or beside and wait for the critter to pass. 🤷‍♂️ Works for me.