Archery Interests

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not joking at all, yes I have one, no not saying they will take over the hunting world. BUT you did ask for new topics didn't you??? I'm not trying to belittle you but good grief how many times does the sight tape need to be wrote about. I can go to every archery forum on the net and there will be numerous articles on sliders and sight tapes.

I took no offense, but no one writes about the EZV sight is it is a gimmick. It's a short range sighting system that potentially tree stand hunters may use. The basis for the system is flawed to start with as it is a bracketing system. For example; elk at 40 yards and deer at 40 yards, the distance between each animals shoulder and last rib, but yet using the EZV you will adctually hold lower on the elk as your "V" needs to bracket the larger animals area. So you have two different elevations shot at the same distance. The reason it may work for you as the elks vitals are larger so more room for error. Then what if it is a turkey at 40 yards, you would be way down into the bottom of the "V" and shoot way higher than if you were shooting an elk. So it is a Gimmick. Its not a bad product I am sure, but it isn't accurate enough for 99% of what today's bowhunters are looking for. So I generally don't want to talk about a new topics if they have no real value to the majority of the Rokslide community. But as always, if you would like to discuss the science and value behind the EZV my phone number is on my signature line.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I question the degree I need to be concerned with building a hyper accurate sight tape.

I know being able to group better than MOA is pretty achievable by most competent archers, but at distances past 70 yards or so, I don't see a lot of groups shot that seem like they would be improved by a hyper accurate tape.

Obviously, improvement in technique would allow for the increased accuracy of a tape to be more of a factor, but are the generic sight tapes that come with a sight really much of an impediment to accuracy as opposed to a custom tape?

3forks you absolutely right. If your max distance is X and you are comfortable there, then you are in good shape.

The accuracy of a good tape may allow you to extend that range, if you are comfortable or just want to practice at further distances. The further the distances will also show you flaws and give you things to work on. No archer out there is ever 100% satisfied with there ability, that’s exactly why we keep shooting.

OR Archer

WKR
To help give you ideas I would ask what areas you feel comfortable writing about? I know you have a well rounded knowledge of archery but there might be areas you feel more comfortable in your knowledge to discuss.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
To help give you ideas I would ask what areas you feel comfortable writing about? I know you have a well rounded knowledge of archery but there might be areas you feel more comfortable in your knowledge to discuss.

I am pretty comfortable with most topics. I am not the ultimate expert in every topic or maybe any topic. I defer to certain people who I know are the cream of the crop in their specialty areas; Greg Poole with stabilization, Gillingham with arrow dynamics, Cooley with optical issues, etc. But with that said I have learned a lot, many times after failing, and have a good idea of what can work for most.

OR Archer

WKR
How about your opinion on what makes a good bow string? Basically what people should look for and expect in a good string. Talk materials, strand counts and how they affect let off, serving size and nock fit, etc. With the market getting flooded with “custom“ string builders a little extra knowledge on this subject could save some people some headaches.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
How about your opinion on what makes a good bow string? Basically what people should look for and expect in a good string. Talk materials, strand counts and how they affect let off, serving size and nock fit, etc. With the market getting flooded with “custom“ string builders a little extra knowledge on this subject could save some people some headaches.

That’s actually a great topic. String builders are everywhere these days and there are certain materials that just are better than others.

Hunthigh1

WKR

YES! This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I question the degree I need to be concerned with building a hyper accurate sight tape.

I know being able to group better than MOA is pretty achievable by most competent archers, but at distances past 70 yards or so, I don't see a lot of groups shot that seem like they would be improved by a hyper accurate tape.

A sight tape isn't going to improve your group size. All an accurate sight tape will do is make sure when you shoot at 110, your sight tape is actually set at 110.

Here are a few topics:
1. Bow carry ( carry in hand , carry in a sling and sling options, carry on your pack wear you must remove the pack to get to it and can miss out on surprise shots etc.)
2. shooting with eyewear and or headgear ( already touched on in archery section on another thread). I.E. I cant stand shooting with a ball cap as I feel it throws off my alignment
3.peeps such as clear shot etc and if there is an advantage
4. Individual bow and archery specific gear testing ( non biased of course)

JNDEER

WKR
Like 5miles any archery info written from the writers opinion is something I will read. Not everyone does the same thing the same way as the last writer. For me I enjoy reading any bow/arrow tuning tips or processes. Bow or arrow builds in a very detailed form from start to finish. Each bow and each arrow will be different and sometimes the writer will give a tip or trick to fix a hurdle. This topic does get covered a lot but when a writer really writes exactly what he/she is doing I can usually pick up something they do that is different then what others do in the readings I have done.

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider

This, for sure. It is absolutely overwhelming for relatively new archers. There are so many materials, methods, and builders out there, and everybody has a personal preference, but for the guy looking to replace a set of strings\cables for the first time it's difficult to get a read on what actually is 'the best', and why.

TheTone

WKR
Another vote for strings! I've had good luck with stock strings and every aftermarket string I've ever had, but don't have a ton of knowledge on the different materials, thread counts, etc. I bought a winners choice this summer that I've been happy with but shop tech that installed it acted like he was ready to throw it in the trash for reasons I never really figured out (that said I find him to be a temperamental...)

"Building Sight Tapes"

Umm, what is sight tape?

So yeh, I think that would be a cool article and yes, I would like to see more archery related articles. The problem with being a new bow hunter and not knowing is not knowing what you don't know, thereby not knowing what to know.

You know?

MattB

WKR

Ditto this. Every bowhunter uses a sting, but only a small % use a moveable sight.

Doug,
I love the info from intelligent, experienced and humble archers. I don't know you, but I sense genuine humility and I love digesting others experiences. I don't always agree with everyone and archery is one of those places where view points are so vast. Thank you for doing this and I look forward to the sight tape article.

I like others have always used the closest sight tapes that came with my set up. But I shoot a very fast bow (372 ibo) and never found a perfect tape thru out the ranges.
I could get some parts to line up, but never all of them from 30 out to a 100 which is where my range starts and ends.
I have always just verified and marked those corrections on the tape and went from there.

Sunscribed..................

Marty

Ideas:

1. Broadhead flight depending on broadhead shape, size, vented/unvented
2. Crosswind effects on arrow flight
3. Actual real experiments with FOC on downrange trajectory
4. Actual real experiments evaluating bow silencers measuring drop in dB versus losing fps
5. Shooting steep uphill/downhill cut charts versus an angle compensating rangefinder
6. Actual real experiments evaluating vane configurations versus sound in dB downrange versus stabilizing effects using larger broadheads

These are just the ones that come to mind.

Any archery articles would be appreciated as long as they relate to killing things (not targets).

I’d like to see a reasonably scientific study on the effects of bow tuning in relation to broadhead accuracy. As the manager of a year-round archery hunting ranch where we (currently) require fixed blade broadheads, I hear endless complaints that guys can’t get a broadhead to shoot accurately or maintain POI between field points and their broadheads. I have not had this problem much but I have ALWAYS paper tuned my bows. I believe their issue is less related to the broadheads than to the untuned bow. Often I get a screwey look when I ask, “have you tuned your bow?” It’s obvious that they haven’t and many of them clearly have never even heard of tuning a bow. It would sure be useful to have a fairly definitive article to point to on this subject. Especially for whitetail hunters who are used to shooting something like a Rage (incredible for whitetail) and are planning a western hunt in a state where mechanicals are verboten.

Additionally, a simple explanation of the process of paper tuning, or a link to one (along with other good tuning methods) would be really useful.

My $00.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brushy, I don’t think it’s a stretch to figure out a well tuned bow is needed to shoot a fixed blade broadhead. I hear your complaint and see it all the time; people show up at the archery shop a week before season, by a bow arrows and broadheads and say they are going out to hunt.

There are dozens of articles out there about how to paper tune and thousands on you tube also. It would be nice if every Hunter was responsible enough to ensure their equipment was suitable for hunting.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ideas:

1. Broadhead flight depending on broadhead shape, size, vented/unvented
2. Crosswind effects on arrow flight
3. Actual real experiments with FOC on downrange trajectory
4. Actual real experiments evaluating bow silencers measuring drop in dB versus losing fps
5. Shooting steep uphill/downhill cut charts versus an angle compensating rangefinder
6. Actual real experiments evaluating vane configurations versus sound in dB downrange versus stabilizing effects using larger broadheads

These are just the ones that come to mind.

Any archery articles would be appreciated as long as they relate to killing things (not targets).

Some of these topics have been debated and will continue to be debated for years. Even different shooting machines come up with different results depending on what the author is selling.

Crosswind is always dependant on arrow diameter, overall weight, front of center, speed of arrow and time of flight. Every arrow is different.

I have shot hundreds of tournaments and can tell you FOC isn’t as important as it once thought to be. It certainly helps in heavy winds though. I know world class pros that have shot 85 grains up front in a 425 grain arrow and do great outdoors and some that will shoot 170 up front and have the same result. Higher FOC may be more forgiving for the average archer though.

I say I would be more concerned with a quiet hunting bow verse the few feet per second loss of speed using more dampeners. With the rangefinders and sights of today, speed is not a top priority.

The cut charts for angled shots? I only know one who has personally gathered enough data to know for sure. If you have the chance to shoot with Gillingham in an outdoor tournament where there are cuts, he will have a huge stack of laminated charts attached to his quiver. He has shot in actual cuts like no other that I personally know. But don’t get caught thumbing through them when he isn’t looking, he can be a little protective. I think one day he may take a run at building a rangefinger for archers and it would probably have the best cuts going. For most hunting situations, a good quality range finder should be good up to about 25 degrees.

Down range noise is always a concern. I personally think vented broadheads make more noise, but that isn’t scientific, but what I have seen.

I wish I didn’t have a job, but since I do, a lot of these experiments and ideas are out of my reach. I am just a simple working guy who spends most of my free time shooting and hunting and been fortunate in my time to be around some top notch pros and hunters.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For most hunting situations, a good quality range finder should be good up to about 25 degrees.

I've tested my Sig Kilo 2000 on some pretty steep angles and it's been pretty close to what it should be. The biggest problem is actually shooting those extreme angles and trying to keep a somewhat repeatable anchor and form. I do know that when I shoot 3D and have up hill shots I will shoot high if I shoot it for the ballistic range.....so I know it's all form at that point. And some angles just aren't possible by bending at the waist.;)