Archery release for my 12yo?

OP
Legend

Legend

WKR
Thanks for bringing this post back to life. We are still running a cheap kid release. After all the comments and some research I am leaning towards a hinge. Just to get rid of punching a trigger.

tje803

FNG
My friend has been using the nock on back strap release with his 9 year old. It's a back tension release with a safety. He recently told me that this release has really helped his son with tightening up groups and learning to squeeze the shoulder blades and pull through the shot, instead of punching a trigger. Hinge would also be a great option.

Forfarj

FNG
My middle son received a Bear Royale for Christmas this year. Had several recommendations for the T.R.U Ball Shooter Junior so we picked one up off of Fleabay and he’s been enjoying it. No punching yet, but I’m keeping my eye on him. I’m shooting a Scott Shark 2 (it’s just OK) and have never shot a handheld so I think it would be difficult for me to set him up on that.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
Proper shot execution is most easily taught with a tension release. Both of my kids (8 and 12) shoot the silverback mini. Hinges and thumbs come later after the shot execution is mastered. Once you have mastered a hinge and a thumb you can probably handle a wrist strap without creating target panic.

Target panic is difficult to get rid of, but easy to avoid. Get him a tension release. Most people that almost quit archery do so because of target panic and most times they start with a wrist strap release and trigger it like a rifle. Very few people are mentally wired to do that successfully over the long haul.

Scoot

WKR
I got my son a good release at that age. It's a spothog wise guy. It was too big so I taped some padding (pipe insulation i think) on the inside of the strap. Might sound goofy, but it is a great option IMO. He doesn't need the padding anymore but he keeps it in because he likes the feel/fit of it.