Arctic Air Unguided Caribou Hunt

Slugz

WKR
Yea seams they go out of their way to make a booking agents trip great. Then for the rest of their customers it's all a money grab. It really makes the booking agent end of this process look pointless. Me and my dad decided to go to Anchorage and jump on a fishing boat during our Hunt dates. Planned everything ourselves went straight to the fishing charters. Everything done on a wim and had a great time. From now on I'm calling the outfitters and doing my own planning. Biggest lesson I learned in the whole process.
Yes sir. I can echo your comments exactly as written.

We ended up going to Alberta for a waterfowl trip I put together last second also. Had a great time.

Reactions: KID

KID

FNG
Puffin Charters out of Seward....off subject from this thread but we recommend if you want to catch fish. Had the time of our life!

Last edited:

wyosteve

WKR
Thanks Kyle. I've been to Seward a couple times but never fished. Looking at another trip next year so will surely contact Puffin!

Reactions: KID

Gobbler36

WKR
I did the same. Trusted Outdoor Internationals vetting system. Bad move on my part.
We took the leap of faith and used AA, for the most part it was an ok experience, but I won’t be using them again. We were dropped on a lake that had other hunt camps and we’re more on top of each other than we realized. The communication was subpar and just the overall feeling of being another number really left me wanting more out of a flight service.
we used outdoor international mostly I have liked those guys but the more the stories keep coming out about their vetting process gives me a lot more pause using them going forward.

mooster

WKR
We took the leap of faith and used AA, for the most part it was an ok experience, but I won’t be using them again. We were dropped on a lake that had other hunt camps and we’re more on top of each other than we realized. The communication was subpar and just the overall feeling of being another number really left me wanting more out of a flight service.
we used outdoor international mostly I have liked those guys but the more the stories keep coming out about their vetting process gives me a lot more pause using them going forward.
We had exact same experience w/AA in 2019. Hunters on other side of lake, pinched by a large mtn bluff that kept them forced to start hunting towards corners of our side of lake. They didn't take a bou while we were there. On our last night, I took a small bou, the only bull we saw w/in a few miles of camp all week. Service from AA was marginally adequate, but communication poor to absolutely misleading. I would never use them again.

Last edited:

Gobbler36

WKR
We took some descent bulls the first day but I just didn’t get warm and fuzzies from them, when I’m spending thousands of my hard earned money i want to feel a little more homey than how they made it feel I guess. Tough to explain but i thin you get the picture

DFloTN

FNG
I hope you and the others share all of the painful details, and all include any different booking agents that were used. If they are pushing certain transporters or other services, they have a responsibility to vet them thoroughly before they start selling their services.

I think this is worth repeating, and I appreciate all of the information that has been previously shared. For anyone that comes across this researching Arctic Air or Outdoors International, please feel free to PM me and I'm happy to provide my thoughts.

Slugz

WKR
I think this is worth repeating, and I appreciate all of the information that has been previously shared. For anyone that comes across this researching Arctic Air or Outdoors International, please feel free to PM me and I'm happy to provide my thoughts.
Same for me. Feel free to reach out to me for any questions.

Slugz

WKR
We got the same email. Insurance seems to be working out. One guy from the group got paid. Mine is inwork.

Based upon the following.

1) Storied history of the owners. Rumour/internet search produces 3 companies owned in the last 15 years. Jail, bankruptcy.
2) Poor operational planning. 2 planes/ 1 pilot. Appears overbooking and no backup plans. Camps on same lakes. Float only plane.
3) Poor communication. Attitude, email etiquette.
4) Hunting Consultant we used appears to have a subpar vetting process.

I will never use AA or the hunting consultant company we used. Im still investigating two other points to add to the above list but I only deal in facts. Ill post later if what I think/percieve is true.
Update.
5) It would appear they sent their booking agents in for hunts even when groups said they could slide their hunts several days if needed. I would have thought the booking agents would have cancelled and opened up those spots for hunters.

Slugz

WKR
Update.
5) It would appear they sent their booking agents in for hunts even when groups said they could slide their hunts several days if needed. I would have thought the booking agents would have cancelled and opened up those spots for hunters.
Update.
6) There are so many insurance claims being turned in that there are accusations of "fraud" being committed.

Those were my last two points#5/#6. All backed with facts so if anyone would like more info please reach out to me via Pm. Its clear to me after reviewing the thread. Future hunters should beware of two main things.

ONE : Outdoor Internationals vetting process ( although very well sold to me in the beginning) lack significant details and facts for sound decision making. That coupled with their agents not " doing the right thing" and freeing up spots speaks to itself.

TWO: Artic Air's 2021 Kotz caribou season clearly validates and is in line with the stored history of the current owners. No booking agent should talk you out of that.

Two hard lessons I learned this year.

I agree with everything posted in this thread concerning Artic Air. They run their business like a transporter factory with no regard for your health & safety, AK adventure fun, nor your hunt success. Mike and Sheila Spisak have no regard for much of anything other than getting your money. Follow these two names as they change companies every few years in an effort to continue this scheme. They are very unprofessional and continued to get worse with each passing payment with the lack of communication and changing information.

Luckily my group was canceled less than 24 hours prior to flying out from Ohio and I consider myself fortunate to not have spent a week in an overpriced hotel or 2 weeks stuck in the backcountry running out of food without a 'bou in sight with no communication on when someone was coming for me.
Like many of you, I did my research, but some things came to light too late. Artic didn't have a long storied past due to the Spisaks recently taking ownership. Funny how their old company seems to be fairing well under new ownership.
I too heard good things from Outdoor International and agree with the above comments that the outfitter/transporter vetting process needs a major overhaul!

My post is not meant as 'sour grapes', but as a PSA. I was fortunate to recover most of my costs via insurance, but the cancelled trip did suck, but its how it all unfolded that makes it tough to comprehend. I am following up with the AK BBB due to the accusations of fraud I heard from Sheila, herself.

Buyer Beware of Mike and Sheila Spisak and where ever they may be working....

VaHntr

FNG
Agree with what’s been said. I’ll share one additional story from my recent August hunt that I think captures their approach.

We were stuck in the field until day 11 and were virtually out of food. When they picked us up, they dropped new hunters at the same spot and brought extra rations for another group of hunters they’d flown in on the same lake a few days after we arrived. They were running low on food like us.

We told Mike he could motor over to their camp to drop food off to them directly. But rather than taking 5 minutes to do that, he said “Nah - if they need food that bad, they can make the hike over here.” Forcing a group of paying clients to hike several miles for additional rations just didn’t sit well with me.

Like others in this thread, I’m glad to share my story with anyone thinking of using Arctic Air. Just shoot me a pm.

huntnful

WKR
We all killed Caribou (4 of us) last year in early september. We were in the field for 10 days (three days extra). We took a groups' spot, and a group took our spot when we left. I feel very lucky with our experience based on the recent reviews. But we all agreed we wouldn't use them again just after our hunt. Let alone 2021 season fiasco. We all 100% got the feeling it was just a money grab operation and we were lucky to have the trip that we had. Would not recommend ARCTIC AIR either. Has anyone reached out to Russ to let him know to remove them from his list?

Slugz

WKR
We all killed Caribou (4 of us) last year in early september. We were in the field for 10 days (three days extra). We took a groups' spot, and a group took our spot when we left. I feel very lucky with our experience based on the recent reviews. But we all agreed we wouldn't use them again just after our hunt. Let alone 2021 season fiasco. We all 100% got the feeling it was just a money grab operation and we were lucky to have the trip that we had. Would not recommend ARCTIC AIR either. Has anyone reached out to Russ to let him know to remove them from his list?
Ive been in contact with our booking agent. The perception is they are sticking up for them and not seeing the forest through the trees.

I left a message with Mr Meyer and no call back at all. Based upon the no callback and my booking agent gettin preferential treatment to hunt. Im betting they know.

Slugz

WKR
Agree with what’s been said. I’ll share one additional story from my recent August hunt that I think captures their approach.

We were stuck in the field until day 11 and were virtually out of food. When they picked us up, they dropped new hunters at the same spot and brought extra rations for another group of hunters they’d flown in on the same lake a few days after we arrived. They were running low on food like us.

We told Mike he could motor over to their camp to drop food off to them directly. But rather than taking 5 minutes to do that, he said “Nah - if they need food that bad, they can make the hike over here.” Forcing a group of paying clients to hike several miles for additional rations just didn’t sit well with me.

Like others in this thread, I’m glad to share my story with anyone thinking of using Arctic Air. Just shoot me a pm.
Wow

KID

FNG
We talked to our Agent and pretty much got a sympathetic Sorry but not our or Arctic Air problem.....I made it clear that this process looked bad on everyone involved.

Is this the advertisement? 4 reviews from 2021, all 4 or 5 stars

Posts above say they only have 1 pontoon plane. Website advertises wheeled planes as well.

Looks like they are booked until 2023:

If you google "arctic air caribou" this thread is the third result down...seems like the least someone could do in 2021 when planning is google who they are going on a hunt of a lifetime with

Last edited:

AKBorn

WKR
Ive been in contact with our booking agent. The perception is they are sticking up for them and not seeing the forest through the trees.

I left a message with Mr Meyer and no call back at all. Based upon the no callback and my booking agent gettin preferential treatment to hunt. Im betting they know.
The booking agents are going to stick up for them because the booking agent recommended them. They are trying to show that they didn't steer anyone in a bad direction.