Arctic Air Unguided Caribou Hunt

Bones24

FNG
She gave us the rebook option but with a cost hike of course because of fuel. We told her we weren't interested in giving her more money. We asked for some money back via a couple emails. We've gotten no reply. We've given up on this hunt. It's crazy, they pocketed a lot of money from us for nothing. I'll never front All the money for a trip like this again, probably never attempt it again.
At this point I don't think I have the confidence in re-booking a trip and investing the time and more money with them either.

Cecil H

FNG
For those who may not have heard yet, Arctic Air was sold and is now run by Gary Colbath. He reached out to us to rebook the hunt we didn't get to take last year due to the closure. We are now going 14-21 September this year.

Slugz

WKR
For those who may not have heard yet, Arctic Air was sold and is now run by Gary Colbath. He reached out to us to rebook the hunt we didn't get to take last year due to the closure. We are now going 14-21 September this year.
We all gotta keep track of the previous owners and warn our fellow humans if they try and buy/start up another operation.

Last edited:

dphunts

FNG
Does anyone know anything about this Gary Colbath? Experience, history?

Slugz

WKR
Isnt he a consultant with Outdoors International? I could be wrong so look that up.

Previous owners overbooking while using Outdoor International as a booking agent......and then the OI agents hunting instead of freeing up that spot......is sour with me.

@dphunts Id read this thread a few times from start to finish. Id be leary and it would take me a ton of convincing to hunt out of KOTZ with anyone that doesnt have a clearly defined, long tenured track record.

Feel free to PM me for any other question you may have. All the best.

I would not book with them for the aforementioned reason. Let him build a history of success as he was in bed with the former owners/thieves so.....
Re-read this thread as it contains a lot of good intel on the previous owners as well as OI and their antics.

Otty0914

FNG
I had a great experience with Sheila and Mike in 2020, rebooked for 2022 and obviously that didn't happen. I rolled my dates over to whenever they could get us into the field again. Gary called me to tell me about the purchase of the outfit from Sheila and Mike and to rebook the hunt. He had to move the dates slightly, but we are scheduled to go into the field 9/11/23 and fly out 9/18/23. I only paid the remaining balance on the hunt so there was no additional cost associated with it. Gary seems very nice and knowledgeable but I will be sure to update after then hunt.

I had a great experience with Sheila and Mike in 2020, rebooked for 2022 and obviously that didn't happen. I rolled my dates over to whenever they could get us into the field again. Gary called me to tell me about the purchase of the outfit from Sheila and Mike and to rebook the hunt. He had to move the dates slightly, but we are scheduled to go into the field 9/11/23 and fly out 9/18/23. I only paid the remaining balance on the hunt so there was no additional cost associated with it. Gary seems very nice and knowledgeable but I will be sure to update after then hunt.
Similar experience for my group. We are headed out Sep 9-16th

MRosdahl

FNG
Sounds like they will all be going to wheeled planes from here on out.

I would be curious to see how you guys do. I have been talking to them about next year for a hunt. But am a bit hesitant due to what I have been reading on here. Hopefully the new owner will turn in around.

kgk_kcc

FNG
@blakees307 @Otty0914 @Cecil H Our group is in the same boat but headed up in August. Happy to report back to you guys and everyone following this thread once we're done since it seems like we'll be some of the first to go since the change in ownership. Gary seems like a great fella so far and we're hoping for a good trip!

TX338

FNG
Tagging in for 2023 hunt season follow up.
I am scheduled for Sept ‘24, on a hunt booked back in early ‘21.

Hoping new owners perform.