Arctic Shield Boot?

ckk416

FNG
So I am an Arctic Shield boot cover convert for my stand hunting. I used to use 1600g Alpha Burly rubber boots that were just way too heavy/bulky/cumbersome for hiking any distance or using sticks, and my feet still got cold. I'm currently using 800G Muck boots with the covers and my feet stay nice and toasty. However, putting them on in the dark is challenging because of the bulk of the boots.. I'm re-thinking the idea of rubber boots and wanted to see what boots are others using or would recommend.

I use uninsulated Danner leather boots. Put the Arctic Shield boot covers on immediately when I sit down in my stand. Throw a small hand warmer pack in each. Really works well for me. Located in Nebraska.

Do you need rubber boots to get to where you're going? I wear a pair of goretex hiking boots unless I need the taller waterproof boots because of the water depth.

Edit - I also throw an extra set of chemical toe warmers in the boot covers if it's really cold. Warm feet and being still help me see more deer than any benefit that rubber boots might give for scent control.

SloppyJ

WKR
I'm in the same situation. Right now use my uninsulated 4mm aerohead sports and the covers. It's begining to get cold enough where that's not cutting it and I'm starting to rethink my setup. Regardless of how much insulation, I've never had a set of rubber boots that kept my feet warm.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
Unless I actually need rubber boots to get to the stand I wear hiking boots. Climb up, put toe warmers on top of toes, pull cut off sock piece over to hold the warmer on and put the Arctic Shield covers on.

If I do have to wear rubber boots I change socks when I get to the stand and put the worn ones in a plastic bag. I found the Arctic Shield insoles to be a good upgrade to the Alphaburlys, they seem to not “leak” heat out the sole as bad.

Keeping your feet directly off the metal stand helps a lot too. I’ve used small pieces of carpet scraps to provide a little insulation, that helps a lot too.

WCB

WKR
So I am an Arctic Shield boot cover convert for my stand hunting. I used to use 1600g Alpha Burly rubber boots that were just way too heavy/bulky/cumbersome for hiking any distance or using sticks, and my feet still got cold. I'm currently using 800G Muck boots with the covers and my feet stay nice and toasty. However, putting them on in the dark is challenging because of the bulk of the boots.. I'm re-thinking the idea of rubber boots and wanted to see what boots are others using or would recommend.
My dad sat in a wolf blind no heater -30F for a week. He took his boots off and just wore the boot covers with a heat pack in them. I use them late season and just wear my Crispi Wyomings (uninsulated) and they work just great under boot covers. I would just get some comfortable standard hunting boots and hunt.

No idea how you can sit in any insulated rubber/muck boot and stay warm. Things don't breath good enough.

OP
C

ckk416

FNG
Thanks for all the responses! I don't need to wear rubber boots to get into where I am going, I'm just trying to minimize my scent as much as possible because there is no good way for me to access the property other than the easement (neighbors won't give me permission to access via their property).In any case, I wouldn't have thought uninsulated boots would be warm enough, but will be giving a try!

OP
C

ckk416

FNG
My dad sat in a wolf blind no heater -30F for a week. He took his boots off and just wore the boot covers with a heat pack in them. I use them late season and just wear my Crispi Wyomings (uninsulated) and they work just great under boot covers. I would just get some comfortable standard hunting boots and hunt.

No idea how you can sit in any insulated rubber/muck boot and stay warm. Things don't breath good enough.
I'm coming to the same conclusion - that my feet aren't staying warm because the rubber boots are holding the sweat in.. I use a boot dryer after each hunt and they are warm at the beginning of the next hunt, but my feet eventually get cold now that temps are below freezing. I will be adding a nice pair of "standard" hunting boots to my Xmas list.

Bigboone1988

Lil-Rokslider
I have been wearing 400g leather boots with my boot covers for the past couple years. Great combo for keeping my feet warm.

Might try uninsulated boots on my next hunt from reading what other guys are doing

The boot blankets are the best $50 investment I have ever made when it comes to keeping feet warm.
Like others mentioned above. Uninsulated boots is all I wear. Haven’t used a hand or foot warmer in them yet and have hunted down into single digits so far.

Jack84

FNG
Classified Approved
I wear Crispi wild rock plus 800grams of insulation. I ordered them wider then normal and half a size bigger so I can wear a thin pair of socks and a thick wool pair. If it gets really cold then I put arctic shields on with warmers in them. They work good and actually breathe for walking in.

morphetm

Lil-Rokslider
I use uninsulated UA hiking boots and thow in a handwarmer when it is really cold. Makes for a nice light weight walk in, get settled and slip them on. I had always read that you want the heat reflected back in from the boot blanket, so it helps to have no insulation or even rubber boots, and it seems to work very well. I bought the boot blankets several sizes larger than what I need to make it easier to slip on. I highly recommend them.

I have tried uninsulated/insulated boots, rubber boots, and boot covers. My only issue with the boot covers is they are loud on tree stand platforms compared to just your normal boot sole on the metal. I don’t use them anymore if it is calm out (rather be cold than get busted). Typically I find myself wearing insulted boots with a hand warmer on my toes for mornings around 30-40 (covers for backup). With oversized insulated rubber boots and a body warmer in them I can sit all day in below freezing temps (hand warmers only last until lunch). They just suck to walk in. It’s a love hate relationship with those heavy things, but some days I need them.

I have tried uninsulated/insulated boots, rubber boots, and boot covers. My only issue with the boot covers is they are loud on tree stand platforms compared to just your normal boot sole on the metal. I don’t use them anymore if it is calm out (rather be cold than get busted). Typically I find myself wearing insulted boots with a hand warmer on my toes for mornings around 30-40 (covers for backup). With oversized insulated rubber boots and a body warmer in them I can sit all day in below freezing temps (hand warmers only last until lunch). They just suck to walk in. It’s a love hate relationship with those heavy things, but some days I need them.
Put some stealth strips or some other silencing tape on the soles of the boot covers. Should quiet them down some.

OP
C

ckk416

FNG
Thanks for all the feedback! I've decided to bite the bullet and get the 10" the uninsulated Hoffman Hunters.

Kanbe1

FNG
Thanks for these tips all....keeping feet warm is a huge challenge for me in tree stand hunting